Thread: Neck gasket on a drysuit

Default Neck gasket on a drysuit

I just bought the NRS Mission drysuit with eVent to replace an old sweaty Kokatat one with a compromised neck gasket. My neck is pretty thick and I donít want to screw up my new one by getting crazy with the scissors, like I did with the Kokatat. When I put it on, I get tomato-faced quickly. Does anyone have any suggestions on how many lines I can cut back on the neck gasket (it has 8)? Or, will it help to stretch it out? Maybe a combination of stretching/cutting?

Stretching it does help some. You can use a large can or anything round, and larger than your neck. Let it sit stretched out for a day. But after that you will still likely find it too tight if your neck is large. I have a 17.5 to 18" neck, and I take off about 4 rings to start, try it out, and take more off depending on how it feels. Do the overnight stretch first though, because otherwise it will get too loose with time.

The truth is you don't need it tight at all, just barely snug enough to keep a little tension around your neck, with no gaps when you move around. Cutting is easy enough if you use sharp scissors, and cut it evenly around on the same line. Don't do any wavy cuts, and no partial cuts that would allow for a tear to develop.

If you do ruin one, it's not the end of the world. Replacing them is not difficult, but is time consuming. You can do it yourself if you're patient.

When it comes to drysuits, you should cut one ring at a time until you get to the point where it is tolerable around your neck. Over time, as you use it it will stretch so you dont want to make it comfortable right off the bat. If you cut it until it feels good you will have to replace the seals after it breaks in. When I cut seals, I use a large inflation bottle wrapped with duct tape to put up through the seals to stretch them out and a razor blade to cut them. Take your time and once you touch the razor to the seal dont remove it until you have cut the entire ring off.

Default Streach it first

Quote Originally Posted by Heg View Post
    I just bought the NRS Mission drysuit with eVent to replace an old sweaty Kokatat one with a compromised neck gasket. My neck is pretty thick and I donít want to screw up my new one by getting crazy with the scissors, like I did with the Kokatat. When I put it on, I get tomato-faced quickly. Does anyone have any suggestions on how many lines I can cut back on the neck gasket (it has 8)? Or, will it help to stretch it out? Maybe a combination of stretching/cutting?
    I streach mine out over the top of an old traffic cone. my neck is 16 1/2 and after streaching my dry suit gasket I don't need to cut it at all.

I'd also seen a great system where a friend takes a piece of plastic hose makes a hoop with a dowl pressed in both ends as a splice to the hoop, he wears this hoop over the outside of his dry suit gasket then rolls the dry suit gasket over the hoop so it's not tight around his neck when he doesn't need it to be water tight. when he runs the rapids he just unrolls the gasket and leaves the hoop over the top untill he through the rough water and back on the flat water. Then he rolls the gasket back over the hoop for a bit of relief.

I hope this helps.

Good Boating
    Jim King
    Alaska Series Inflatable boats
    www.alaskaseries.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Series Inflatable Boats View Post
    I streach mine out over the top of an old traffic cone. my neck is 16 1/2 and after streaching my dry suit gasket I don't need to cut it at all.

I'd also seen a great system where a friend takes a piece of plastic hose makes a hoop with a dowl pressed in both ends as a splice to the hoop, he wears this hoop over the outside of his dry suit gasket then rolls the dry suit gasket over the hoop so it's not tight around his neck when he doesn't need it to be water tight. when he runs the rapids he just unrolls the gasket and leaves the hoop over the top untill he through the rough water and back on the flat water. Then he rolls the gasket back over the hoop for a bit of relief.

I hope this helps.

Good Boating
    Jim King
    Alaska Series Inflatable boats
    www.alaskaseries.com
    Jim,

Your description reminds me of the "collars of obedience" in an old Star Trek episode...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay