Thread: what kinda poop?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default what kinda poop?

okay so for all the questions... i have not made a garden since mom made me...

but my end is almost done. i have hauled the dirt from browns hill. built the boxes for the taters. ( those are easy since the kids eat one a month...)

moved the green house and put the shingles on it. ( clear)

cut and pulled the trees scrounded the tires for raised areas.

and soon she can plant.. and tend her daily doings....

but....

i remember taters dont like some ferts. and dont like nitrogen to much.. and seen the bags of poop...

chicken or beef? to get a good start on dinner...then i seen the bait fish at wal mart... one or two of those guys may do it too..

whats the verdict?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Talking Garden fertilizer...

Not too sure if your talking the bagged stuff at the store, or from a farm.Don't really matter.If your doing it now you would want aged.Then the nitrogen content wouldn't be enough to bother any of your plants.Some plants (leafy)beet greens,ect, I need more nitrogen.This is where the fish fertilizer comes in, and only use it on them plants.In fall, is when I get a load of barn manure(straw and cow) and till it in.By spring, it is ready to go.I also hit the vine maple trees for the humus that has built up under them for years.It works great in my tomato planters mixed with soil,and my raised beds.I run it through 1/2x1/2 wire mesh sifter I made.Makes the best mulch for water retention.Tomato planters I use 12-14" poly culvert pipe pcs I salvaged from a const site.The black seems to hold the heat of the day.Good luck and happy gardening.GR

I know it won't do any good this year but get a compost pile working. Compost and crop rotation are the two best soil builders going.

If you plan on planting greens next year plant some kind of legume in that spot this year and till it under before it goes to seed.
    Chuck

Are you asking specificly about potatoes, or in general about all things including potatoes?
    Don't use chicken. at least not undiluted. If you want general for all garden things I would go with cow, goat or Rabbit. If you have plants that need a lot of nitrogen then you can use chicken just be cariful not to put it directly on the plant. Chicken is strong enough that it can harm plants.

This may be a dumb question, but does anybody use horse manure for anything?

Big dog, you also have to be careful with rabbit, since most rabbit droppings are also accompanied by urine. That will kill your plants quicker than anything. The best rule of thumb is never use "fresh" manure from any animal. I must say, with our chicken/rabbit compost we have no problem at all with burning plants, but again, it is diluted and has sat for a good year.

Vince when your down this way, bring a bucket, I'll send ya home with a bucket full of SH*T

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    Are you asking specificly about potatoes, or in general about all things including potatoes?
    Don't use chicken. at least not undiluted. If you want general for all garden things I would go with cow, goat or Rabbit. If you have plants that need a lot of nitrogen then you can use chicken just be cariful not to put it directly on the plant. Chicken is strong enough that it can harm plants.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

hmm You have had problems with rabbit?
    I have used it a fair amount and never had any problems.

Wink Fertilizer....

Any of you folks living on the salt water,remember seaweed is one of the best for nutrients though it must be dried.GR

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i know rabbit and chicken should be soaked when using fresh. hte stuff you buy in the stored bags is alread composted.. my experiance with growing up on the farm was rabbit and then chicken, then cow or horse.. only because the horse had so much grain left in it. it was a weed factory.

i have never used the bags of store stuff so thats why i am asking. which one grows/ works better.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I have all the above poop factories, I haven't bought "IT" in ages.....
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I have never had a problem with rabbit but knew from one of the many master gardeners in the family, not to use fresh anything and rabbit was the worst for burning your plants due to the high urine content. It is not the rabbit turds your worried about, its the urine that lands on top of it that burns. So its best to let it sit over winter or dilute it before use. Unless you have some miracle way of separating it before use We have two compost bins that we rotate each year, One gets fresh, the other was from the year before...etc....

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    hmm You have had problems with rabbit?
    I have used it a fair amount and never had any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    I have never had a problem with rabbit but knew from one of the many master gardeners in the family, not to use fresh anything and rabbit was the worst for burning your plants due to the high urine content. It is not the rabbit turds your worried about, its the urine that lands on top of it that burns. So its best to let it sit over winter or dilute it before use. Unless you have some miracle way of separating it before use We have two compost bins that we rotate each year, One gets fresh, the other was from the year before...etc....

only raise Boy rabbits...they poop down the hole and pee on the seat......

meet on face book here

Proud and Free in Delta Junction, Alaska.

Wink Horse Manure Factory

I have Tons of horse Sh;t, and use it religiously in the garden. I have a giant pile in the yard that is mixed with shavings from my planer, topsoil, and the muck that comes out of the Horses water tanks.Makes a great fertilizer, and our horses get little grain, so not many weeds come from it.I have personally found the rabbit to burn also. Be careful when using Store bought liquid fertilizer sprays if you don't know your soil Ph.

Rabbit crap is extremely hot...avoid it!

It can be tough to get, but we use goat poop, (neighbors have lots of goats.)
    It can be used right out of the critter's chute. Our garden and greenhouse rock this year from all of the goat poop!