Thread: Felt soles..poor mans traction?

Default Felt soles..poor mans traction?

i just got a pair of chestwaders and they've got felt soles...didn't know this at the time i ordered them.
    was curious if there were any tips for how to make a little traction for them, it'll all be outdoor stuff...can you put little hex head screws in them or something that'll help? or am i just destined to slip and slide...?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

you'll have more traction with the felt in most situations....mud is one area were you'll slip more with out any lug on your boot...

if you want studs, the easiest thing to do is buy replacement felt soles with little studs already in them...remove the original pads and glue on the new ones...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

You can get a slip over your foot type of thing that has metal or plastic spikes. I have seen these slip ons at Sportmans in Anchorage & Trusty's in Soldotna.
    One bad thing about felt is that when there is snow on the ground the snow will stick to the felt. Makes walking in these situations, umm, interesting to say the least. Wore a felt pair of boots steelhead fishing one time and we had to hike around in a foot or so of snow. It got to be a chore just to lift up a foot let alone to make any progess walking.
    Last edited by iceblue; 05-14-2009 at 22:09. Reason: i instead of e

Default yaktrax

slip over things made for walking on snow and ice, but work really well on slippery mud. . .

most of the time I only were felt sole boots, they are better in gravel and rocks and I have always added my own studs to them by using the hex head screws like what you would use for alluminum roofing you get a bigger stud than a store bought one and they work better for me, just dont use ones that are too long and go thru your boot. It is also a cheaper alternative to the yaktrax. hope that helps and good luck

thanks a million guys, i'm gonna give it a whirl and see what happens!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

just to be clear, felt isn't generally known as a "cheap" option. there are plenty of $150+ boots with felt soles.

keep in mind that felt is being banned in a lot of states. i heard something about South East, but don't remember what it was.

Talking

Why the ban on the felt?
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Quote Originally Posted by michigan_mike View Post
    just to be clear, felt isn't generally known as a "cheap" option. there are plenty of $150+ boots with felt soles.

keep in mind that felt is being banned in a lot of states. i heard something about South East, but don't remember what it was.
    It's to help stop the spread of Whirling Disease.

Felt transports microbes. States and the AK Board of Fisheries are worried about Whirling Disease. I think some states have already banned felt, but I don't know which ones or when the bans kick in. It looks like the South East ban doesn't start until January 2011, but I really don't know.

http://troutunlimitedblog.com/alaska...asive-species/

Default Interesting W.D.

Not rying to muff the thread but I am sure there are some fears of W.D. and felt soles as with any material can transport from A to B. However it is a host of things that can be transported from what I have seen that cuases great concerns.

Several studies over the past many years has noted the W.D. is directly related to water flow issues which of course is caused by several factors and is a huge concern out west in the lower 48. In fact in a number of cases they have found that some areas that were having W.D. have seen decrease in W.D. based on water flow gained by better more snow pack / run off allowing water levels to remain more consistant.

Mind you this is not on every stream that is infected however they have seen increase productive and lower mortallity rates in streams with greater water flow.

An ounce of prevention is greater than a pound of cure IMO hence the change in the industry and some increased regulatory programs including AK.

Sorry for muffing the thread.

Unbridled Beast

Fairly humorous,that a Kalifornian AK transplant to Juneau,deemed felt soles as the demise to Salmonids.

Tough to top humor of that ilk.

Default weeds

One of the biggies on felts now is a variety of weed species, including one nicked slime. It gets embedded in the felt and cleaners can't getto it. its already in a lot of western rivers. I sure hate to give up my felts; but if thats what it takes i will.