Thread: Ranger Tires

Talking Ranger Tires

I just got my new Ranger HD and love it. The steering and ride are great. My first trip was on the beach and it did not take me long to figure out that I need some bigger tires. The front are 26x9-12 and rear 26x11-12. Any one have experience going bigger and what size did you go to? By going bigger did you notice a power lose. I have not been able to come up with much for after market parts for power increase. Anyone have any experience with power parts. Thanks
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

only advice I have for the ranger is stay away from the Mud Traxx STI's....it is tempting because the look good and are pretty much the cheapest tire stocked locally....they do perform ok but are far too soft/whimpy for the rangers....I learned the hard way...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default Tires

ITP Mudlites or ITP 589's are really good tires IMO. Also, if you go to a bigger tire especially taller tires like 28's you might want to consider aftermarket front axles like Gorillas. The taller tires change the angle of the front axles to their max and with increased rubber there is increased torque on those parts. I'm not a gear head so I can't explain all the technicalities, but someone on here might be able to better explain what I'm talking about.

Ground clearance is always a factor that any rig with a long wheel base deals with. Theoreticaly going from a 26 inch tire to a 28 inch tire is a whopping 1-2 inches of ground clearance depending on how the manufacturer measures their tires. For example I had 26 inch 589's that in the real world measured 24.5 inches tall. So keep that in mind when you are looking at aftermarket tires. I'd measure them and see if a 28 inch tire was really 28 inches.

However, if you went with ITP Mudlites or ITP 589's and kept the same tire dimensions as stock tires you'd still see a HUGE gain in performance (traction) just by getting rid of the stock tires. Or since you have the new front end and power steering I'd look at staying with 26's and just put 12 inch wide tires all around.

Talking

Thanks for the input. I have a friend that has some 30" on his Prowler and loves them. What ever I do I don't want a big lose of power or cause some thing to break. I was hopping that some one with a ranger would pipe in with their experience. How about it guys, any input?
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Default 27" Mud Lite XTR

These are what I run on my Ranger. No power loss at all, but I did lift it 2", not sure if you have to lift it to fit 27" tires but can't hurt. As far as the tire goes I am not that pleased with them. The side walls aren't very strong, one of my front tires has about 10 plugs in the side wall. Next I intend on installing a 3" lift, gorilla axles, and 30" Mud Lite XXL's. Not sure about power loss with this set up but i'm sure a clutch kit would fix it. Glad to have another Ranger guy on here, enjoy.