Thread: Fall Kenai Trip

Default Fall Kenai Trip

Am planning a Sept trip to the Kenai to try for rainbows and silvers. Will be 3rd trip to area, but am planning on doing this trip as a self guided fly fishing adventure. Was thinking of going RV route. Any suggestions on timing (late Aug., after labor day, etc.) to maximize our chances and any other Rvers experience good and bad appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by thegnat View Post
    Am planning a Sept trip to the Kenai to try for rainbows and silvers. Will be 3rd trip to area, but am planning on doing this trip as a self guided fly fishing adventure. Was thinking of going RV route. Any suggestions on timing (late Aug., after labor day, etc.) to maximize our chances and any other Rvers experience good and bad appreciated.
    Typically the upper river is best through September and the middle is decent by mid-August due to the absence of Pinks.

Quote Originally Posted by thegnat View Post
    I had a real good day last October about mid-month. we landed numerous Silvers that were quite edible. Around noon we switched to Rainbows and had a great day. I love fall fishing. I love fishing so I guess it doesn't matter.

Get "Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska" by Scott Haugen. It has over 100 maps. Tells you where to go and when to go. Not a book about fishing. For that, get "Topwater" by Troy Letherman and Tony Weaver. Scott's book is about where/when to go. Both are available on the forum store. Read up on Anchor, Ninilchik, and Deep Creek. If going in Sept, you may want to try for some silvers or steelhead on those rivers. All are close together and on the way down to Homer. Spend time on the Upper Kenai for rainbows/dollies. Maybe consider having the folks at Scenic Mountain Air in Moose Pass fly you out to the only cabin on Upper Paradise Lake for some grayling fishing. Check out their website for more info. There is a state cabin that rents for like $45/night. SMA runs about $325 pp for the flight. Solitude and scenery. Get around and catch many different species. That is my take on it anyway. You may be more mobile if in a rental suv and using camping gear. Food for thought.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.