Thread: Discounted Brown Bear Hunt advice

Default Discounted Brown Bear Hunt advice

I've had an outfitter contact me regarding a fall hunt with a Master Guide for Brown Bear in Unit 9. It sounds like there will be 3 hunters in camp and is asking $10,000 for the hunt. I see that many of these hunts sell for $13k - $20k so I'm a bit nervous about the discount. Guide sounds great to talk to and references, of course, say he "walks on water but don't expect 5 star lodging and food" "you'll get your trophy bear". I've fished, but never hunted Alaska, any thoughts?

Thank you,
    Bucksandnoles

You need more info, or need to give us more info.

Will it be 3 hunters for one guide? If so, how will you figure out whose turn it is when you see a shooter bear?

If it's 3 hunters and 3 guides, you need to make sure that all 3 guides have experience hunting bear, and you don;t get stuck with the assistant guide who is first-timing for bear.

What does $10,000 cover - does it include bush flights in and out of camp, trophy care in the field, etc?

Give us as much info as you have in detail, so we can better respond to your question.

1x1, not sure about other guides in camp, but I did speak with one who had good things to say about the guide running the show. The price did not include the flight from Anchorage to King Salmon to Sandy Strip. Not sure if price included field care of bear.

Thank you,
    Bucksandnoles

Make certain the type of hunt being offered is WHAT you are looking for, and be very careful about changing those standards because of the price. Not saying there is anything "wrong" with the type of hunt being offered, however, but usually a real recipe for disaster when they don't, regardless of good it sounds before the hunter gets in camp.
    Same applies to the "trophy". Make certain both you and the guide are on the same "page". If the hunter is looking for a good mature animal and the general philosophy of the guiding operating is "brown and moves = dead" (killing all sows and/or hight percentages of very young animals) , may not be worth the money regardless of how inexpensive. If size and sex are a consideration, then ask for a COMPLETE list of all bears sealed during the past ten years including information as to sex, age and skull width and skull length and NUMBER OF DAYS HUNTED. This information will give a very good picture of what standards are being used. Some guiding operations take very high percentages of sows and smaller animals while others consistently harvest good mature animals.
    GMU 9 ("D" or "E") certainly has produced some outstanding trophies, but, depends on who is doing the guiding.
    The above information is only one component of many that you will need before committing to the hunt.
    Good Luck
    Joe (Ak)

Quote Originally Posted by Bucksandnoles View Post
    I've had an outfitter contact me regarding a fall hunt with a Master Guide for Brown Bear in Unit 9. It sounds like there will be 3 hunters in camp and is asking $10,000 for the hunt. I see that many of these hunts sell for $13k - $20k so I'm a bit nervous about the discount. Guide sounds great to talk to and references, of course, say he "walks on water but don't expect 5 star lodging and food" "you'll get your trophy bear". I've fished, but never hunted Alaska, any thoughts?

Thank you,
    Bucksandnoles

If it's the Sandy River, just north of Port Moller, and his initials are M.G. - He's a good egg and that's a good area. Tommy

Default Question...

Is there a reason you don't just post the name of the outfit? We cam pm you any bad info and post good info. That's how it works, I believe. You will get more specific answers.

i agree with SoHappy.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Ten Grand!

....and I cringe when ever I put $150 bucks in the tank for a hunting trip. Good Luck; go get 'em. Take lots of pictures.

Being new to these boards, I wasn't sure if I could post a name or not. I did not want to get in trouble the first day. The guides name is David Lazer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucksandnoles View Post
    Being new to these boards, I wasn't sure if I could post a name or not. I did not want to get in trouble the first day. The guides name is David Lazer.
    First welcome to the forum!

No worries about posting names here to a point. Negative comments need to be kept to PM. It is customary to leave a not in the thread to the effect of "see PM". We also don't allow names of people that are being charged with a crime to be posted until after they have had their day in court and been convicted.

Default ?

Discount? I always think back to "you get what you pay for". Maybe Jake can step in with some info on the guide part of this. More than likely he had a client cancel at the last minute and would like to fill the slot. I have also seen others who get a discounted hunt or fishing trip, get treated like a lesser client because they didn't pay full price. I don't know the guide, but I would do a good amount of research before plunking down the cash. I know he probably wants an answer right away, but I think you will be happy you did your homework. I guess what I am saying is be careful.

Thanks for the advice! I've called a number of his references, and as I said, of course, they all had good things to say. In speaking with him, he sounds like he's got it together. Most likely, I get to do this hunt one time, so I want to make sure it's right. I'm hoping to get some more information here regarding guided Brown Bear hunts. He does have a website for his guided tours, but not for his hunting trips. License number is very low, which indicated to me that he's been at this for a while.

Ask for names of hunters that didn't kill anything, if they give him a thumbs up it would mean more to me than 5 successful hunters word. If a guy kills something everything is great even if you are living on ramen and your guide gets drunk every night.

KK

i've talked with david on the phone quiet a bit a few years back, and know the area he works in and its got bears, but most areas do. if the references who didn't tag out have good things to say, you should be ok, just ask them what kinda deal they got to come back...some guys give freebies away to try and recoup a bad trip.
    jwant had some great advice in his post as well.
    10grand ain't a huge discounted hunt. But from what i've heard mr lazer is on the up and up...but thats just the rumor mill i'm around.
    like someone else said, ask WHO YOUR GUIDE IS, find out how long he's been guiding brown bears in the area or similar areas, some young guys do great as they don't have their own habits developed yet and are extremely gung ho, some older guides have the system figured out and can get it done with half the effort....then there are guys who guide because its a free hunting trip..avoid those ones. Guiding is a lifestyle, you've gotta live it and breathe it and you've gotta love it...its not a hobby, its a blood type.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I have attached a graph of the growth rates for selected sub-units and GMU'S.
    Lots of different factors about the "numbers".
    In general:
    Larger the skull average lower the success rate;
    Larger the skull average the higher the average number of days hunted;
    When most of the smaller skulls are taken after seven or eight days of hunting may suggest mature animals were initially being hunted;
    High percentage of sows (greater than about 30&#37 may indicate lack of experience; inability to judge bears or lower standards from the prospective of "trophy".
    In general 24" total = about 8'; 26" about 9"; high 27s pushing ten foot square.
    Lots of different aspects to having a "good hunt", however, for the most part tens days of nothing but "top ramen" + a well furred 9 footer plus, will be "evaluated" as "excellent" cuisine; ten days of steaks and no bear will be "steaks were never cooked correctly and had just a little too much fat.
    Good Luck
    Joe (Ak)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all of the info gang! Im calling him today for other references, if I decide to do it, I'll post a report.

Default guides

When you're talking to the hunter references, it's always good to ask them for the names of other guys in camp and then try to talk to them too. Sometimes the references are the guys who had the best hunts and the outfitter knows who those are. Every guide will have some good and some not so good hunts. It can be very telling what the not so goods have to say.

Default economy and rates

There are some good deals (reduced rates) going on in all of Hunting Dom ....

Africa, in the lower 48 and in Canada. In Alaska also.

I think it's discounting to just fill slots in this down economy and bookings that are a little off for allot of the Alaska guides ... especially the fishing charter boys. Some fishing lodges here in SE are 20% to as much as 70% off on bookings. Some are not opening and some are just running at reduced action.

It is not necessarily a low quality hunt that doesn’t normally book. I have seen some good deals from reputable Guides, going on recently for Spring hunts.
    Some cancelation hunts, because of lost jobs or changed monetary priorities going on now, with all or part of the deposit returned to the hunter, then low rates offered to fill the slots at the last minute.

I look for some good deals to continue into the Fall hunting season.