Thread: POW Fishing: June 6-12

Default POW Fishing: June 6-12

Fellas, the wife, her dad, my buddy, and I will be on POW chasing bears from June 6-12. We'd like to do some fishing / crabbing / shrimping / clamming while were there, but we don't have a clue what will be productive (and we sadly don't have a lot of time).

Any ideas on what our best bets will be as far as fishing, etc.? We'll be staying at the 12 Mile Arm FS Cabin and have a 12' Achilles w/ 15hp OB as well as a truck, so we can get around the island. We could also rent a bigger boat if needed.

I asked a similar question on the hunting section but thought it would be more appropriate over here.

Ideally, we'd like to go after some halibut / bottom fish, so we're wondering how deep / far off shore we need to go for a decent chance at either.

We're thinking of laying crab pots directly in the 12 Mile Arm, but it looks pretty shallow. It would make for an easy set / pull as we hunt the inlet.

About how deep do we need to go for shrimp (we're not even sure if we'll have room for shrimp pots)?

Basically, if you were there on the island during this time period, what would you target and how?

Thanks for the info, as always...

RW

Judging by the response, maybe we should just leave the fishing gear at home, haha...

RW

We're thinking of laying crab pots directly in the 12 Mile Arm, but it looks pretty shallow. It would make for an easy set / pull as we hunt the inlet.

Uhh, crab season doesn't open till this late fall. It is a winter season only, Shrimp is open though. So now you can leave the crab pots at home and have room for the shrimp pots