Thread: Thanks Daveinthebush

Thumbs up Thanks Daveinthebush

Dave,

Just wanted to send out a huge thanks for your advise on my PWS Black Bear hunt.

Though I didn't return home with my bear, I did pass on a small one, and saw several more. I had a great time and it was a wonderful learning experience. Already looking forward to next year.

Thanks again!!

Default Welcome

You are quite welcome. We have only taken one bear over bait so far and things are still slow. Only 2 bears sighted at one station and one hit at the other. This week is supposed to be really warm down here. IF they stop chasing goat kidds they may come on down. Headed out again tonight.

I think the late spring has upset many hunters plans.

Default Bears

I found out today that the bear we took on Sat. was the first bb taken over bait in Valdez this year. So things are slow.

Default valdez black bear

How could that be? I was in the sound all last week and saw over 50 black bears. Took a nice 6' bear. I went at the same time last year (exact dates) and the same amount of bears minus the green vegitation. I was hunting mainly about halfway between Whittier and Valdez. Why is it so much different in Valdez? Just wondering.

Default Temps

We have had a late spring. Yesterday was the first over 50 degree day that we have had. There is still snow near my bait stands and across the bay still 3 feet in the woods. It actually snowed a week ago last Friday. Still lots of snow on the mountains too. The bears have just not come down that far yet.

Heading to the stands tonight if the winds calm down.

First Hit Last Night!
    I got my first hit last night. By the tracks looks like it maybe a six footer. I don't know if I will be able to get across the river tonight to see him. I am having a love hate relationship with this heat. It is bringing the bear out but the glacial stream may be too high to cross to get to my stand, !*$@#.
    Good luck All!
    Dave (not in the bush).