Thread: Stocked Fish

North Pole

Default Stocked Fish

I'm interested in honing my newly acquired flyfishing skills in some stocked lakes this summer but I have a few questions. If anyone is willing to take a stab it would be most appreciated.

1. Do triploid fish (stocked in AK lakes/ponds/few rivers-streams) overwinter?

2. If they do overwinter, how many times do they typically overwinter. Basically how long do they live?

3. I wish to fish for some rainbow trout in locations near Fairbanks/North Pole, will there be triploid fish present in the waters before they are actually stocked this season?

4. Does anyone know of a lake or area stocked early May in Fairbanks/North Pole? ( I know most won't want to give up their hot spots, but it's just a generalized question).

Thanks in advance for any information and good fishing.

between wasilla and palmer

1. Yes if the lake is big enough.
    2. I don't know the max but they should live several years.
    3 and 4. There could be, but it will depend on the lake and how heavily it gets fished. Some stocked lakes you will see the age of the fish. This years fish are say 6 inches, the previous years fish will be 12 inches, and so on. Unfortunatly I don't know any lakes off the top of my head for you to go fish in.

Anchorage, AK

Here is a link from Fish and Game on lake stocking.

The stocking for this season should be starting up any time now.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

soon to be back in Alaska

A more helpful link might be

Also the curent world record rianbow trout was a triploid. Average life, if they do not get caught is probably 9-12 years.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

North Pole

Default Chena Lakes

Chena Lake will be a good place to hone your skills. There are plenty of places you can find with enough clear shoreline so you don't get hung on the backcast. Also try Piledriver Slough across from Eielson. It's been several years since I've fished there but it is stocked and will be a little more realistic casting in some moving water. Not sure about the survival in piledriver but there are some 18" fish in Chena Lake. Not large numbers of them by any means but 12-14" fish are common. Good luck.
    " There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot" - Steven Wright