Thread: Seeking local knowledge - Mat-Su area.

Default Seeking local knowledge - Mat-Su area.

We're planning a 5 day fly fishing trip to the Mat-Su, West Cook Inlet area in mid July. We'd fly and/or drive anywhere in the area, even with a outfitter.
    So do I search for
    1. The area to fish?
    2. The dates of the peak runs in the area?
    3. Use of an outfitter?
    Since I know when ... perhaps I should focus on the area of the peak runs.
    We're looking for smaller rivers.
    After a lot of searching on the Internet I've discovered varying answers.
    So ... what's the best area in mid July for Kings and/or Silvers?

Mid July is usually right in between king and silver runs in the Mat-Su. King season close on 7/13 and silvers usually don't show up until the third week of July at best. If you are looking for late season kings, I would check out clear creek off of the Talkeetna river. You can charter out of Talkeetna with somebody like Mahay's Riverboat Service. If you are looking for silvers, you may find some at the mouth of the Deshka or downstream on the Little Su. There are a variety of guides out of Wasilla who fish both streams. Good luck.

Default High expectations, and not much time...

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmyhre View Post
    ...So do I search for
    1. The area to fish?
    2. The dates of the peak runs in the area?
    3. Use of an outfitter?
    ...looking for smaller rivers...
    Andrewmyhre, those are good questions, to which I would add "What is the main purpose of the trip, to catch salmon?, enjoy a trip with friends/family outdoors?, in Alaskan wilderness? Are you staying in hotels? Lodge? If you're driving, have you accounted for the traffic? A 1.5-hr Fall drive can easily become 3 or 4 hrs during summer. Put them in order if you can. I assume you're traveling from Lower-48? Here's a pretty good primer for the process of planning: http://www.alaskafishingsuccess.com/ - or use the search function (Search, Advanced Search, Google search of AOD...).

"3. Use of an outfitter?" You will simplify the process if you call/email a guide/outfitter. This is what I'd do in your situation. If so, do it now. A lot can complicate the best-laid plans to fish here. Although you'll no doubt get seasoned advice for planning your trip, the weather, water levels, water clarity, fish migration and access issues could present obstacles beyond your control which might cost days that you don't have to squander. DIY trips can work, but lots of room for fumbling and this sounds like a big trip for your group. We learned by chartering with guides then rafting with outfitters (Blue Moose Rafting). If unfamiliar with the fishing logistics up here, you might improve your chances by relying on a local guide or outfitter. I think I'd book 5 days worth of trips focusing on 1 area (either Kenai or MatSu Valley waters), but maybe try more than one guide. You will need to do this (or any other planning) soon. Some guides may already be booked for July, 2009.

Weather: When planning trips with visiting family, I suggest to them that we'll plan for cold and rainy weather. We pack our Helly Hanson PVC raingear and poly+fleece layers. Then we're aren't disappointed if the weather is good.

Other contingencies: A). Crowds=size of salmon run +access convenience/cost of access. The largest fish runs and most convenient access dictate the largest crowds unless limited by the cost of access. If you can afford to boat upriver or fly-out, even just for the day, the crowds get smaller. B). Regulations: AK fishing regulations are more complex than many places and often vary considerably from stream to stream, or even section to section of the same stream. For the sake of the resource, and to avoid conflicts with locals and enforcement, read applicable regs for your planned waters, whether you DIY or not. My encounters with wildlife officers have found them professional and courteous, but a little bland on the humor side - (and hearing some of the stories they encounter, who would blame them).

Whether you plan a DIY trip, or are just looking for info, Garnede has pointed you at some good sources of information. But you'll need to get crackin'. King salmon season just got started here and the distant hoofbeats of full-on summer are getting louder.

Good luck.

Default Valley fishing package ideas...

Not sure what your lodging plans are. My preference would be to camp at the fishing site, but trying to tent camp would add a large logistic load and many visitors aren't comfortable with wild area camping due to concerns about wildlife. Most rental "cabins" in Alaska are quite modest by Lower-48 standards. Others might suggest other names, Kenai (or other) area guides too. Call or email a few. Ask if they can recommend or help arrange lodging. You will likely need a rental car at least. Lock-in your reservations soon. I recommend that you check on your reservations 2-3 weeks before departure to confirm nothing got lost in the shufffle (based on an experience involving visiting family).

MatSu Valley guides that I've chartered with and would recommend:

Chad Valentine at Denali Anglers can arrange both fishing and lodging.
    http://www.alaska.net/~valser/rates.htm

TriRiver Charters:
    http://www.tririvercharters.com/

Mahay's Riverboat Service
    http://www.mahaysriverboat.com/

I think Blue Moose does day trips on smaller steams too http://www.bluemooserafting.com/.

Be sure you know what they provide and what you need to provide as far as clothing/waders/boots/tackle/flies-lures/licenses and food, whatever you decide. You will need a King Salmon stamp to retain Chinooks.