Thread: Black Bear Trichanosis?

Default Black Bear Trichanosis?

Some one mentioned to me that all the black bears have trichanosis. Is that true? I just shot one and haven't ate it yet, but would like to know if I need to cook it well done. Thanks.

Brett

Bears get it and unless you want to pay for an expensive test, you don't want to take the chance. Cook it well done or in any other way to meet the tempurature requirments to insure the cysts are dead.

Fair enough. Thanks for the info.

Brett

Probobly a stupid question, but how does this affect things like pepporoni sticks and summer sausage ect?

Default Cooking

Cooking kills the parasites. Cases are rare and an animal has to be infected first. IT IS possible in PWS there is some. I almost lost a thumb 2-3 years ago after skining and fleshing 4-5 bears out. Thumb turned black to the joint in the palm. Throbbing pain and the thumb double in size. ! I was lucky enough to have a visiting Airforce doctor in town that knew what to do.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default It Ain't Just Pork... Right You Are!

BAB-

While I cannot account for 'all black bears', it IS true that Trichinosis CAN be carried by black bears, and, NOT only those in AK.

As with tularemia in local rabbits, it is important to note that the spread of the disease is NOT curtailed by the FREEZING of the meat, but rather by THOROUGH COOKING!!

Decent link - general info:

ADF & G INFO LINK

Link below is more medical-speak, but I offer it because it states meat was processed locally:

AK H & SS EPIDEMIOLOGY BUL 2000

Hope this helps.

Safe Hunting... AND Eating!
    Doc

I had some steaks tonight well done. Not worth the risk even if I do love meduim-rare red meat. Thanks for the info.

Brett

Default use a thermometer

Instead of cooking roasts into shoe leather, use a meat thermo, and cook till 160 in the center. you'll be golden. The good news on tric is it is very rare in Southcentral and Interior.

It is more common in bears that are killed later in the season. That is the reason why in some areas you don't have to keep the meat after a certain date, I believe 1 June. It's the same disease that pigs can carry, bears and pigs are closely related. I raise pigs and hunted wild hog when I lived in Georgia and have never had any problems.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Cooked well, NO problem, No worries..!!!!!!!!

Better than 'loosing taste' for moose liver and feeding it to the dogs.
    Common sense,, save tastey/nutricional liver for needy neighbors, they will appreciate 20+ POUNDS of good healthy moose,
    especially if your WILLING to share' with hard hit needy neighbors,, it takes little effort.

Unless your priorities 'drive' you back to amenities to 'Bolster' yourself. You know, internet more important than friends called 'community neighbors'.

Narcissistic values, tsk, tsk, then refer to others about your 'independence' in the bush. PRIORITY importance is fame/notoriety, advancing an 'agenda. Competition on AOD tops priority list.

I know many that have no 'link' to the outside, have no directive other than living peacefully in harmony in REMOTE areas. No info or pics, just a REAL Alaskan life style. Many live quietly this way, and for generations. Thats REAL, have no doubt, they still exist.
    Last edited by DEDWUF; 09-26-2009 at 01:45. Reason: word eliminatition

Default Hey Dedwuf?

Dedwuf,

Are you referring to me in your post #10?

Default Trchinosis prevention

With my Kupreanof Blackie a few yrs back, my buddy rubbed his nose while we were skinning it out, may have had a scratch or something, but the nxt morning, his nose got really swelled up and irritated. Couldn't even touch it. Described it like a bee stung him inside his nostrils.

Worked hard in the rainforest to keep my meat "clean, cool & dry". he was one delicious fresh springtime SE bear. All meat marinated, then cooked well done. Excellent for crock pot bear chili.

Lucky on my first bear skinning adventure with only latex gloves on.
    Learned from forum feedback from the boys on this forum and now always have leathers on hand to wear over my surgical gloves when working on bears.

Default Thric

I was skinning a brownie years ago in a downpour with flashlights and sliced my thumb, very minor, this was Chichagof Island I was working there. Thumb was sore, then about 3 or 4 days (not sure getting old) it swelled severly and I had a line going up my arm. I had to fly to Juneau and go to the ER, where they pumped me full of antibiotics, I was there for about 5 hours, they said it was tric. I was fine after that.

Note to self; dont cut fingers when skinning

burnsy