Thread: Peninsula bear baiting

Default Peninsula bear baiting

So i went out to my bait station yesturday afternoon to find something a little bit od. so bait sit got hit real hard witch is great but the funny thing is that someone had been out their. they took my camera down but did not take it. none of the pics on the camera showed anything. not sure what to do. the thing is the only one that would know were it is is fish & game or the refuge cop because it about a thre mile walk in to it.

what do you guy think

First I did not do it.......What makes you think you are the only person on the planet who walks six miles per day, it is walk-in correct???? I seem to find about 3 new stations per week. Which is down from 1 or 2 per day.

The easiest thing to track is a 170# to 270# Human wearing boots. All I have to do is drive up and down the Hope Road and ask ONE question, could a person pull off the road here.....????? If yes, I just get out and start making a circle looking for human tracks, and follow them to the bait station, or Gold mining site. I've spent 53 years studing wild animals, Humans are fun to track....

My guess is a non-hunter found it, or that you forgot to remount it last time, and like me you are loosing you mind.

Default thanks not helping

well the thing is its off a refuge road that you can not drive on. then its a mile off of the road up a creek and you real can see any foot prints in the marshy ground. if it was closer to some trip used for hiking i would under stand a little more but their are no other sit for a mile or more. on the refuge you get a square mile to use and no one else can use it.

Is it possible that a bear knocked your camera off of the tree? They like to mess with the cameras.
    Hopeak
    just curious are you an f&g officer why are you out tracking people trax looking for bait stations?

Default sorry but no

the camera has a strap that works kind of like you back pack straps. Also the camera was left on the top of my barrel. it has to be someone or the worlds smartest bear with a very soft touch. bottom line if a bear took it down it would have broken the camera.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    the camera has a strap that works kind of like you back pack straps. Also the camera was left on the top of my barrel. it has to be someone or the worlds smartest bear with a very soft touch. bottom line if a bear took it down it would have broken the camera.

i have TWO moltries ( sp) that have those straps..

both fall off a hour after i leave them. i tie them up with bungies now. also... i have to stand on my wheeler rack to reach them now as the bears ALWAYS played with them... i know a wheeler is not an option where you are... but perhaps a log stached that you could get it higher and away from visitors?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post
    Is it possible that a bear knocked your camera off of the tree? They like to mess with the cameras.
    Hopeak
    just curious are you an f&g officer why are you out tracking people trax looking for bait stations?
    NOPE...I am semi-retired and enjoy the wilderness. It is just something to do, I track everything Wolves, bears, Lynx, not hoofed critters. For the record, I have only found "ONE" legal bait station. If you read many of my posts you find a recurring theme......"Spend less time shopping for the lightest, latest, wonder, equipment......and spend more time in the wilderness just being at "ONE" with the wilderness".... Plus I shot my T.V. 20 years ago, and have not found anything better to do with my time.

Default thanks vince

I will try it but the thing is that the direction asy to mount it only 4-5 feet off of the ground.

Hopeak
    i am only using the camera to see what time the bears are showing up and if they are brown or black. I cant spend days on end out they i do have other things i need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    Hopeak, I cant spend days on end out they i do have other things i need to do.
    I feel your pain, Yep, my Outhouse needs a fresh coat of paint.....

skipper - i use to mount my camera 10 feet up got some pix but missed alot....would be in stand and know bear was there and not have pix. cuddeback said it needed to be lower. so i have metal box i put it in and chain it in place. 3 foot off ground.
    odd someone would take camera off and then leave it?????? what are odds bear play with it leave it on barrel and there be no pix????? are you posative you did not forget to set it up???? i'm old enough that could happen.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default found this out

went down and talked to the bioligist at fish and game. he felt that it was some one messing with my bait station and said to turn it in. also said not to use the camera becuase the bears like to eat them. i knew that but wonted to use it any way until the bear eat it if that happened.

I bought a metal box for my Moultrie off of ebay 3 years ago. The bears play with it but it hasn't budged or been damaged yet. I mount it 4' off the ground. It always has muddy tracks and slobbers on it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i bought an adjustable mount, i can hang the camera 20 foot above the drum and face it straight down if i want. ... 10 foot in the air catches every bunny too i use two cameras per stand. now.

one behind drum and one 20 foot away give better idea of the bears when i can see two side of them.. those bears move around so much it misses a lot of pics.

get rid of the straps it came with.

get rid of any camera that has a flash or clicks when taking shot. those are the ones bears eat. i lost 4 in one year before i learned my lesson.( try explaining that one to the missus)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default wear gloves

wear surgical gloves before you touch the camera each time you go in, keeps the bait scent etc from your hands off of your camera. I wore them last year everytime before I messed with the camera and never had a bear touch mine. Others I know had bears mess with or destroy thier camera and they didnt wear gloves.

Ya'll have me scared, I am using camarea for the first time this year. Been carefull about scent, but also haven't had any hits ethier.

SKIPPER CONGRATS ON YOUR BEAR LETS SEE A PIX AND HEAR THE STORY...JUST SAW YOUR DAD HE WAS PRETTY EXCITED ABOUT THE BEAR YOU SHOT TONIGHT....CONGRATS WTG
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER