Thread: Looking for a place to hike with.....

Default Looking for a place to hike with.....

Looking for a place to hike with lots of bear activity. I'm not a hunter so it doesn't matter if it is in a hunting area or not. I like to see wild life and to me bears are the ultimate. Up close or far away on a hill side either is ok. I live in Wasilla so the closer the better but further away is good too. If you know of a place please reply. Thanks

Statewide, you could try Katmai National Park.

On the road system, you hit just about any salmon stream in-season.

My question would be...why do you want to increase the risk of a human/bear encounter and endanger your own life or create a situation where a bear might have to be killed due to an encounter with you?

I recommend you avoid known bear areas, except for wildlife viewing areas where there is a way to view them without endangering yourself or the bears.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Take the bus into Denali National Park, but do yourself a favor and stay on it. People who are too eager to see a bear up close are likely to end up teaching bears that it is okay to approach humans - which it is not. The more curious they get, the more likely they are to be put down. Taking the park bus would give you an opportunity to see bears without putting them - or you - in needless danger.

Default Hiking around bears.

I appreciate all the advice on bear and human encounters. I have been around bears and know the rules. What I'm looking for are new hiking places with new adventures. I'm not looking to get too close or to harass any animals. Just to see these great creatures in there "natural" enviroment and to keep it that way "natural".
    Again I appreciate the comments but dont need the lecture on bear interactions. Thanks for your time.

The Eagle River Nature center has a healthy population of brown and black bears, some would say the population is too healthy. It would be one of the better locations on the road system.

No gurantee you'll see bears back there.

My back yard can be exhilarating some days........

Russian River in a month or Rover's Run along Campbell Creek in Anchorage during mid summer.

Hike Battle Lake down to McNeil sanctuary, I've had up wards of 40 close encounters per day, and three to five sleeping in/or raiding camp each night. One night we had $4,000.00 accelerated deprecation in one night, and they ate the Zodiac boat the next day. They build nest next to the tents and snore all night, the fuzzy poop'heads. No one and no brown fuzzys were injured, my sleep was lacking, and nerves a bit taunt. But after (11) Eleven weeks, it was time to come home to a different zoo.

Default Try Cresent Lake

We hiked up to Cresent lake and spent the night over the holiday weekend. Between 7:00pm and dark-thirty, we saw nine bears on the slopes. All blackies but one nice sized brownie. Of the 8 blackies, one was a sow with an older cub and one was a sow with three younger cubs--so that was 6 of the 8.

Also found two sets of brownie tracks walking out the next day over ours and the mountainbikers we had seen the day before.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

I have heard lots about bears on the Upper Russian Lake trail. Like the earlier guy says, maybe a bit later in the summer/fall.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I see that you live in the Valley..... a place that might be closer for you: head north up the Parks about 60 -70 miles .... past Trapper Creek, past the Chulitna bridge. I don't remember the exact mile post but there is a parking lot and trail head for Troublesome Creek. The trail heads up into the Curry Ridge area. Good place to see bears.

Or, if you want to drive a lot further, drive over to Chitna and take the McCarthy road. At the end of the road, hike up to Kennicot. Hike the trail past the town that follows the glacier. Quite a few bears in that area.

Where ever you go, its not a bad idea to take some bear spray along and keep it handy.

Default McCarthy Road

Go down to Mile 14 McCarthy Road then turn North. You will see an old railroad wheel to Kuskulana-take east fork road to the upper Kotsina river for 33 miles. You will see enough Grizzlies and Brown Bears. Make sure to keep your camp clean otherwise you might be invited for lunch.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tree View Post
    I see that you live in the Valley..... a place that might be closer for you: head north up the Parks about 60 -70 miles .... past Trapper Creek, past the Chulitna bridge. I don't remember the exact mile post but there is a parking lot and trail head for Troublesome Creek. The trail heads up into the Curry Ridge area. Good place to see bears.

Or, if you want to drive a lot further, drive over to Chitna and take the McCarthy road. At the end of the road, hike up to Kennicot. Hike the trail past the town that follows the glacier. Quite a few bears in that area.

Where ever you go, its not a bad idea to take some bear spray along and keep it handy.
    Tree, good call on Troublesome Creek. I had forgotten this one....in the month of July when the kings are spawning up there the bears congregate at a place called Ultima Pool which is a couple miles upstream of the highway. A natural barrier concentrates the kings in a small area where quite a few brownies will work on them. There are so many bears at times that the authorities will close the trail. The trail is pretty good but there is a lot of foliage and cover and the creek is pretty noisy too.....can be creepy. I would keep one in the chamber on this one. Crystal clear water and good rainbow and grayling fishing in the shadows. Good luck.

Lower Russian River Lake to the Upper Russian River Lake, time now.