Thread: A little help with shrimp

Default A little help with shrimp

I am new to shrimping and have had some luck the last couple of weeks but need "handling and care" help. Do most of you guys divide their tails right on the boat or do you bring them home. If you bring them home is it ok for them to die in transport or does it even matter. Last week they all lived in the fish box all the way home. This week the whole lot of them were dead before we got home. They cant spoil like this can they?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtface View Post
    I am new to shrimping and have had some luck the last couple of weeks but need "handling and care" help. Do most of you guys divide their tails right on the boat or do you bring them home. If you bring them home is it ok for them to die in transport or does it even matter. Last week they all lived in the fish box all the way home. This week the whole lot of them were dead before we got home. They cant spoil like this can they?
    They should be just fine i buy them whole all the time fur feathers guts and all just keep them on ice all the time

I keep the shrimp in a big tub full of salt water and allow them to flush out while I reset my string of pots. I then pull the tails and toss the heads. Make sure not to toss the tails. Them babies are like gold! The tails are then packed in coolers with glacial ice. I have kept them like this for several days without issues. MMMMM...shrimp!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default shrimping question

Don't mean to hijack this thread but I friend of mine invited me to go shrimping in PWS and was wondering what time of year is best to go? Thanks.

Default I agree with letting them 'purge'...

in some water in a bucket or something for a while, and then we pop the heads and get 'em chillin'.

Not sure about seasons and such in PWS, but we (we, as in me and those I go with...) consider the 'best time' to be from May-June right up until the commercial guys open up ...we usually end up doing the best in late summer

MMMMMMMMM...........
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default ice them

then bring them over and I will take care of em for ya!

To make peeling easier, layer them on a cookie tray(s) and stick them in a freezer for an hour before you peel them. Shrinks/firms the meat up a little...

I definately like to purge the shrimp. I use a cheap mesh laundry bag. just hang it over the side in the water while you are doing other stuff and they clean out nicely. put it in a 5 gallon bucket of water whilke you are moving. it makes it easy to change the water they are in.

Here's my routine that works out well for me:

1. Pull the pots/line on board
    2. Empty shrimp out of pots into bucket half filled with sea water
    3. While prepping/repositioning/deploying pots, the shrimp purge
    4. Pots in place, buoy is floating. Time to twist the tails
    5. All tails go into ziploc bag, then immediately onto the ice in cooler

Here's a pic of the largest shrimp I caught, which I pulled out near Whittier last Saturday. He was a monster! I kept him whole so my son could check it out. He named it "daddy shrimp". Fitting...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Ice

I believe the best thing to do after catching and purging is to ICE them. Regardless of whole or tails ICE is most important. I usually let them purge after catching, maybe a couple buckets of water worth. Then pop the heads and on ice.

Like others, I dump 'em in a bucket with some water and let 'em soak while I reset the pots. I pop the tails either right then, on the way back to our overnight anchorage, or while soaking herring for 'butt, depending on the situation. In any case, they don't sit in the bucket more than a half hour, usually a lot less. Then, the tails either go on the BBQ, or in a ziplock on ice.

Mmmmmm.......shriiiimmmp
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Default From the AK F&G website for PWS....

Shrimping out of Valdez is HOT right now, full pots and they are only dropping them 100 feet or less!

Don't forget the new EO rule: You have to have a permit to shrimp in PWS this year. It didn't make it into the regs, so I have visions of citations being written.....