Thread: canoe buyer needs advice

Default canoe buyer needs advice

Im about to buy a canoe. I am fairly inexperienced with canoes. I was wondering if a 17 footer is too much to handle well with just myself rowing. And also i would like to put a trolling motor on it at times. Does anyone have experience with the side mounted trollers? Seems like it could be difficult to keep it strait.

I assume you meant paddling, although a canoe can be rowed. 17' is fine by yourself, if the wind comes up it gets more difficult to handle. I imagine a canoe with a keel, like the Colemans, would be better in the wind. I only have an Old Town Tripper 17' which has a wide and flat bottom. If there is no wind it handles beautifully solo, you just kneel in the middle and use the J-stroke, or turn the canoe around backwards and use the front seat.
    I have a side mounted transom for my electric trolling motor and it works very well. The battery sits in the middle or wherever you need it to balance out the load you have on board. At the slow speeds of a electric motor, I don't think the canoe knows the difference between side mount or transom mount on a square stern. I like the side mount because its natural to reach out to the side to grab the tiller anyway.
    I think a shorter canoe is actually harder to keep straight sometimes, but a longer one catches more wind. A smaller one, say 15' would be easier to load and unload by yourself, but can easily accomodate another person.
    For me the bottom line would be this. If I knew I was going solo most of the time, I would look at a 15' or so. If I was going to get a great deal on a 17' though, I would get that instead.

cool thats exactly what i needed to know. thanks

Default longer?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryHyde View Post
    I think a shorter canoe is actually harder to keep straight sometimes, but a longer one catches more wind. A smaller one, say 15' would be easier to load and unload by yourself, but can easily accomodate another person.
    For me the bottom line would be this. If I knew I was going solo most of the time, I would look at a 15' or so. If I was going to get a great deal on a 17' though, I would get that instead.
    Or if you might bring home a moose and camping gear, maybe just a bit longer.

I have a 17" Grumman aluminum canoe. I can handle it easily by myself, loading on the truck, portaging, or in the wind. HarryHyde did well in his explanation of what to expect.

My canoe does have a full length keel which doesn't lend itself well to flowing water though we do/have floated the moose river via the Swan Lake canoe trail system on the KNWR. The 17" canoe accomodates my wife, two large dogs, our backpacks and fishing rods for a weeklong outing easily.