Thread: Model 70 FTF

Unhappy Model 70 FTF

Well, I have a new to me Win Model 70 in .375 this year, took it out to the range this past week to dial in my scope, had a disheartening issue.

Before getting into the description of what happened, lets assign some terminology: I have a 3 round magazine, the top round we will call "A", it sits on the right side of the weapon, the middle round we will call B, it sits on the left, and C sits on the right (bottom-most round).

In short, I had 2 failure to feeds out of about 15 rounds... I would only occur when I had fired round "A", and went to forcefully extract and reload (as under pressure) round "B".

The first time I simply thought I might be an idiot, not used to the rifle, and short stroking the action, the second time I brought the bolt completely back (hard) and looked as I slowly brought the bolt forward, it went right over the rounds, which I might add were sloped slightly back in the magazine. If I don't bring the bolt back hard, it works fine...

It will not do this with any other round than "B", and I cannot for the life of me reproduce it without first firing round "A" meaning using a snap cap or empty case as "A" with live rounds for "B" and "C"... I would have to say the recoil is causing the rounds to shift a bit in the magazine and the back ends are too low to get picked up by the bolt on its forward travel.

I was shooting Federal 270gr soft points.

Is this common problem, easy to correct? I was suspecting perhaps a weak magazine spring???

Oh, and this has happened a few times to the original owner as well... I was well warned about the issue, but figured it had been fixed since previous owner reported it had not had any issues as of late...

Glad I still have my Rem 700!!

No expert here, but two things occured to me.

1. Are these reloads and is there a chance some of them are loaded too long and maybe the B round is hanging up as a result. Could be that side of the magazine box is misshapen, too?

2. Magazine lips, especially on that side, may be deformed.

All in all, it seems like something a smith should be able to fix easily. I had a M-70 feed issue a few years back that a Vince Baldauf (Precision Arms) took care of for me with a quick follower change. You might give him a call if you're in Anchorage.

Good luck!

Chris

my mod 70 used to do that and I stretched the spring a bit to lift the rear of the round and have not had the problem any longer
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Don't know much about the model 70 but I have had the follower spring installed backward in a couple guns before. In the ones I had the end of the spring was pushing up at the nose past the neck and tipping the back down so the bolt skips over it. One of them would only do this under recoil and I assume the force was knocking the spring contact point forward past the tipping point.

So pull the spring and see if you can put the top end to the back and stretch it out a bit while its out. Between the two the problem should go away.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Smile Responses

Mort: Factory federal loads, I don't think the magazine box is misshapen but it hard to tell if its just a smidge off... will have to find a straightedge and feeler gauges I guess...

As to magazine lips, good thought, I initially wondered but figured I would get some input from here before I started in on it, just wanted to know if this was something that someone would say: "Oh Yeah, they are infamous for ____ go do this and it will work fine forever..." Thanks for your thoughts, I am in Fairbanks and won't be heading down to anchorage for a while unfortunately.

Ironartist and ADfields... I will look at the spring tonight, see if its reversed or needs to be stretched out a bit... many thanks for the tips

Thanks, glad to hear that mine was not the only one with something goofy going on...

For God's sake don't let anyone touch it! I have dealt with only a few "gunsmiths" who actually know how to work on feeding issues.

First thing to do is call or send a letter to the manufacturers customer service department and explain the problem. They'll have you send them the rifle. Get it fixed from the people who make it.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Is it possible that the rounds are quite a bit shorter than the magazine box, and they are being moved forward by recoil? I don't recall you mentioning which 270 grain bullet you are using, but I am curious if it would do this with something like a 300 grain partition- or some other longer bullet.

Feeding problems are a pain in the neck, but I might disagree with the advice to send it back to the factory. I would try to find a local gunsmith that would meet you at the range to see what is happening.

Good luck.

Doug

Default Been burned before by both

Yeah, I hate both sides of the coin, been burned bad sending firearms back to factory for fixes... 200 dollars worth of shipping (adds up over 5 times in a row or so) and months without the gun... but also spent a small fortune back when on gunsmithing from a few people whom I later learned had their gunsmithing certificate from the bottom of a crackerjack box, so its now like my truck... the only folks that work on it are me and me... everyone else, including Ford, HANDS OFF... so unless I can find someone highly reccomended here in the Fairbanks area who will agree to be paid ONLY if its fixed, I will probably just do it myself, but that means I have to learn something about the model 70 - hence why I am starting here trying to figure out if its something a lot of people have seen. I love my Remington 700 and can do EVERYTHING on it, but like anyone I started out small, so thats where I am with the M70 now...

Another possible problem I saw last night while picking over it was that the reciever has been epoxy bedded, but I wonder if the epoxy has too much thickness and has lifted the receiver too far above the magazine well for reliable feeding...

On the bullet length issue, the 270 gr rounds I shoot are actually pretty much full magazine length rounds, not much room to slop around at all, but since I have not been able to get it to jam unless I fire the rifle, I have been reluctant at $4 a shot to see if the 300gr noslers would have the same problem, I suppose I could always put two noslers below a cheap round, shoot the cheap (well cheap-ER anyway) round and see if the nosler then feeds... hmmm, I know what I will be doing when I get back from my fishin trip...

Smile how about...

Have Aaron at Gator Guns in Kenai fix it. Also, at the same time have him make it so it holds 4 in the magazine like he did mine and it feeds fast or slow, right side up or upside down with alternating loaded and empty cases. I replace the factory magazine spring on the "Classic" CRF's with a after market one made of spring steel. Same for the claw extractor if it is not one of the Williams ones.

is the spring shorter and stiffer to allow another round
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Thumbs up I think....

I think the spring is stiffer and of better quality then the factory one. I think he must be removing some metal from the bottom of the follower to get the 4th round in the magazine.
    Mine sure feeds well after this modification.