Thread: Home Defense Gun

Default Home Defense Gun

I am looking to purchase a gun for home defense. I was thinking of getting a tactical shotgun, but I also like the springfield XD handgun models. Any suggestions on what would be my best choice and where I could get the best price at.

Default Home defense

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Nate View Post
    I am looking to purchase a gun for home defense. I was thinking of getting a tactical shotgun, but I also like the springfield XD handgun models. Any suggestions on what would be my best choice and where I could get the best price at.
    You don't really need a "tactical" shotgun....forget all the plastic fold down stocks,heat shields,grenade launchers and other nonsense-- just get a plain old,12 or 20 gauge shotgun.If you want something inexpensive--go with a pump,like a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. If You don't mind spending a bit more--semi-autos are nice,and they eliminate the possibility of a short shuck (short stroke). If you want something that can double as a bird gun....a coach gun-- such as those made by Stoeger, are very handy little guns. Whatever you choose--keep the barrel(s) short--and load it with buckshot.

Default +1

For a short barreled 12.

However, I'd suggest skeet loads for HOME defense. Just one guy's opinion though.

To double as a bear stopper, trade the skeet for Breneke slugs.

Birds or bunnies - not gonna insult anyone's intelligence there....

+ 1 more on the 12 as well as bird or skeet shot not buckshot or slugs in the house. You don't want it to go through a wall on you is why, besides that at the close range we are talking about #6 or 7 shot will cut a man almost in half.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Stoeger really just today a new side-by-side double home defense gun wit short barrels. Cheap too.

Yeah, lighter bird/skeet loads wil terminate an intruder, but not go through the walls.

I wouldn't go too light on the shot. Remember 8 shot only penetrates about 2 inches of flesh even at room distances. 6 shot might do the job but I wouldn't count on it penetrating bone real well.
    Any way go to the range and do some testing see how broad your shot patern is at various distances with your gun.

The other option is a hand gun. People will argue for both options. The main disadvantage with a hand gun is it is harder to hit with.

Over all I say pick a gun that you are comfortable with shooting on a regular basis (practice) and can be kept safely at your bed side.

Nothing tops a shotgun for home defense. Will this be your first firearm purchase? if so, a handgun would be a good choice as home defense as well as for the trails. Either choice, practice practice practice, and get to know it well.

Default If you want a handgun...

on the cheap, & good quality, get a 9mm Taurus...guarnteed for life, & inexpensive...

Mossbergs are the lesser expensive models for a shotgun & can be sawed off, (18" minimum) to your liking...you could always shop around for a used shotgun as well, & keep your mossberg in mint condition & used the used model as your sawed off...that's what I did with my 870 express's.

Unless things have changed, I believe the actual legal minimum length for a shotgun barrel is 18 1/2" which is why factory short barreled shotguns have a 18 5/8" barrel to be sure it meets the legal minimum. A barrel shorter than that requires a permit to legally possess.

And if I remember correctly just such an example was the "reason" for the BATF and FBI raid on the Weaver home in Idaho some years back.

If am incorrect I am sure that will be short lived .

I will 2nd the shotgun option and put in for good measure, the recommendation for #2 shot as the load of choice.

Also a handgun, or 2, in other places about the house isn't a bad idea .

Default 338wm.

when was the last time you read your regs???18" is the minimum...26" over all length required...glad you ain't LEO...

gogoalie

338wm.
    when was the last time you read your regs???18" is the minimum...26" over all length required...glad you ain't LEO...

If God died quietly,
    Glad you ain't a diplomat ....

I have a Glock 21 (.45) with some Trijicon night sights...deadly dependable and a good shooter

Unbridled Beast

The First and only rule of a Gun Fight,is to simply have a gun.

Assuming that and a clue,the rest is semantics at best.