Thread: Researching Fishing Lodges? Suggestions?

Default Researching Fishing Lodges? Suggestions?

I'm looking to book a trip for my family in 2010. I have a lodge in mind...but have heard both good and bad. What is the best search tool for me to find out more about this particular lodge?

Forgive me, but I don't wish to post their name at this time...I owe them that respect.

Default Here is a good start

Better Business Bureau, Alaska Business License search, Epinions, check for feedback on their web site, ask for references.... That would be a good start.

Cheers

What type of fishing do you want to do? what would you like to catch?

Are you looking for something remote or on the road system? As to researching a lodge... referrals are most likely the best. Call the lodge and ask for 5 guests from different states that visited them last year and give them a call or email. Try the local chamber of commerce maybe.

Good luck!

www.fishwithhill.com

Default Just a suggestion...

Check out the Goodnews River Lodge. Remote, only lodge there, great fishing, and nice folks. Larry Csonka did two shows there last July and they recently aired (last two or three weeks). "North to Alaska" of course is the show. Find that on the Versus Channel. I did a float trip on the Goodnews in 2007. Wonderful river. Below is the link to their site...

http://www.goodnewsriverlodge.com/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Go to The Angling Report website (click on Articles/Reports). Do a search on the lodge there - they specialize in compiling reports on fishing operations. You'll have to pay to read all the reports, but it will give you some more information to use.

I'm sure you're aware that even the best of lodges or guides will sometimes have dissatisfied customers. And remember, most bad reviews of outfitters are related to poor fish-catching, and bad fishing can be the result of many things outside of the outfitter's control. A common scenario is for the fishing to be poor due to - say - high water. Then after about the third day, the client begins to find fault with the food, and the outboards on the boat, and the way the guide chews too much gum, etc. Whereas that same client might have come away with none of those concerns if he would've hammered fish all week long.

That's not to say that all lodges are good, or equal, or are tailored to your individual tastes. You're doing exactly the right thing by soliciting opinions from a variety of sources. I would just urge a careful weighing of the facts, and a recognition that there are 2 sides to every story when you hear a criticism of a particular business.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsiutoo View Post
    I'm sure you're aware that even the best of lodges or guides will sometimes have dissatisfied customers. And remember, most bad reviews of outfitters are related to poor fish-catching, and bad fishing can be the result of many things outside of the outfitter's control. A common scenario is for the fishing to be poor due to - say - high water. Then after about the third day, the client begins to find fault with the food, and the outboards on the boat, and the way the guide chews too much gum, etc. Whereas that same client might have come away with none of those concerns if he would've hammered fish all week long.

That's not to say that all lodges are good, or equal, or are tailored to your individual tastes. You're doing exactly the right thing by soliciting opinions from a variety of sources. I would just urge a careful weighing of the facts, and a recognition that there are 2 sides to every story when you hear a criticism of a particular business.

Good luck.
    THANKS!! I think you really nailed the problem with your answer. I've had two opinions from clients...both good friends. One fished there three summers ago, the other last summer. The first one said they had the time of their life...the other said they were miserable the whole week. When I talked with the booking agent in Colorado he was very up-front with me and said, "We had a lot of clients that had a bad time last summer...but we had rain continuously for almost three weeks". The agent said they refunded a lot of money to unhappy clients and wishes they'd give them another try. But he went on to tell me that there's just nothing they can do about the weather when it rains the way it did last year.

I've known the booking agent for several years and I've never thought he was BS'ing me about stuff. My wife and I are driving to his shop tomorrow to talk some more about the trip. We are over a year away from it...but this is my family's lifetime-dream trip and I just want to make sure that we find a reputable service. I fully understand if the weather controls the trip...but what I want to be assured of is that the lodge has good food, is in place where we have a chance to do good, and they work hard for us. About all I can ask for, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsiutoo View Post
    Go to The Angling Report website (click on Articles/Reports).
    Tsiutoo: Forgot to ask, is the Angling Report website on this same forum? If not, do you have the link?

Thanks again!

If interested in a river trip for Kings...try Talaview Lodge on the Talachulitna river.

Here's the link:

www[dot]anglingreport[dot]com (substitute periods, or "dots", where I indicate)

There's an axiom in the lodge business that goes something like this: "When the fishing's good, all the other stuff (referring to food, amenities, personality of the guides, quality of the equipment, etc.) hardly matters. But when the fishing is poor, all those other things matter A LOT.

In that respect, even a lodge that is poorly run and shabbily equipped can produce satisfied customers, provided they catch a lot of fish.

Cheers