Thread: North Pole to Valdez 6/10/09

Default North Pole to Valdez 6/10/09

Hey guys my parents and brothers, ages 16 and 18, are coming up right after I get back from Iraq during the second week of July. We've got a halibut charter booked in Valdez and plan on flipping for reds on the Klutina for at least a day or two.

I'm just wondering if there are any other oportunities that we should check out on the way or other fishing in Valdez. Valdez is the one place I haven't made it to on the AK road systems so I'm not sure what to expect. It looks like we are going to have a day or two to sprare so I'm trying to figure out something else to do. I've got just about all the gear we could need so, let's hear some suggestions.

Thanks

stop by and visit Gulkana Hatchery just before you get to Paxson. Its a pretty cool deal, definitely worth checking out.

Thanks Hank. I've driven by that about 4 times and never stoped. Once I start driving, I hate stopping but I think I'll make the exeption this year. Thanks Again!!

Definitely stop at worthington glacier right before Thompson pass, you can walk right up to it, not too many places to do that. On the other side of the pass all kinds of great scenery including 2 great waterfalls in Keystone Canyon, Bridal Veil and Horsetail falls, plan on stopping there as well, they have nice wide pullouts there. You could do a Stan Stephens glacier cruise while in Valdez as well, you'll get to see stuff that might not necessarily see on the halibut charter. Could cruise over to allison point, maybe see a bear....just some ideas. Oh there is a place at the entrance of keystone canyon that does river rafting if you're in to that kind of thing. About all I can think of for now that doesn't involve fishing, have fun.

Default You'll love Valdez....

I call it "Switzerland by the Sea" for the great scenic mountains and glaciers visible from town and the harbor. Several good restaurants, suggest the Totem, Fu Kung, and Mike's Palace. Totem has some very nice suites, and I hear they have remodeled a lot of their standard rooms. For cheap but clean try the Keystone hotel.

The Worthington Glacier has retreated a lot in the last 10 years, but it's still a nice stop, and has bathrooms etc. for a break. Nice small boat harbor in Valdez, sometimes it's fun to just walk the docks and dream about your own boat, talk to people, watch the fish come in! I hear the shrimping has been great this Spring, see if your charter has a pot you can drop on the way out, pull when you come back.

Default Any fishing Oportunities ??

Thanks for the input guys, some of the stuff will definitley be a stop. I've heard that the you can catch pinks at alison point, what time of the year does that all happen? Any other fishing opportunities would be greatly appreciated!!

Your too early for the pinks, that starts in July. On you way back from Valdez stop at Tangle lakes for great grayling fishing. I always made a week long trip there starting on or about the 21st of June. The lake breaks up about june 15th so you might have better luck on the return trip.
    Just upstream of the Gulkana Hatchery is the fish viewing platform where they weir. There are signs everywhere stating "no salmon fishing" but you can fish for grayling and there are some dandy fish holding in that big pool.
    Another possibility would be doing a rafting/fishing trip down the Gulkana for reds and or kings. Not sure of the run timing for that river though.
    Good luck!