Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heading to Deep Creek, whats the best halibut rod and reel you can buy?

Default heading to Deep Creek, whats the best halibut rod and reel you can buy?

I've been going to Deep Creek since I was born and have over the past years been meaning to buy the best rod, reel, and line you can buy. Whats the most sensitive/durable set up for halibut fishing? I'd like to buy it soon. Thanks!
    Ben

I would go with a lamiglass rod, my buddy has one and they are really sensitive. I went and bought a penn international 16vsx 2-speed last year for halibut fishing and man oh man what a reel that thing is. I would definitely recommend it, if you dont mind spending $500 on a reel, but it will last forever. just my 2 cents.

accurate bossextreme 500 and a boneyard calstar 50 -80 jigging rod cant be beat............to many problems with avet....
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Quote Originally Posted by boneyardbaits View Post
    accurate bossextreme 500 and a boneyard calstar 50 -80 jigging rod cant be beat............to many problems with avet....
    Where do you buy the boneyard calstar rods at?

Hey! I saw "Living The Dream" today. Nice boat!

I have a Penn tuna stick rod and an Avet Pro-30 exw 2-speed and I really like them both, especially the reel.

www.barbartackle.com RON AND HIS WIFE SYLVIA ARE GREAT PEOPLE EMAIL HIM AND HE WILL TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOU...
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Do you want to jig or plunk bait?

With modern Japanese style jigging rods and the top of the line two speed reels you can have a rig that has the weight of a salmon rod, but the strength to pull up the biggest of buts.

I'm partial to slightly lighter tackle as it makes jigging all day much more enjoyable. So I'd go with a 300 gr jigging rod, acid wrapped guides, and an accurate boss 400, spooled with Daiwa PE-5 boat braid. If you want a production rod, I'd look at Jigging Master, they are well regarded.

So what are the problems with the Avet 2 speed reels you dislike?

Quote Originally Posted by boneyardbaits View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Do you want to jig or plunk bait?

With modern Japanese style jigging rods and the top of the line two speed reels you can have a rig that has the weight of a salmon rod, but the strength to pull up the biggest of buts.

I'm partial to slightly lighter tackle as it makes jigging all day much more enjoyable. So I'd go with a 300 gr jigging rod, acid wrapped guides, and an accurate boss 400, spooled with Daiwa PE-5 boat braid. If you want a production rod, I'd look at Jigging Master, they are well regarded.
    Is the 300gr made my Jigging Master? I do want to get something that is well regarded amongst halibut enthusiasts. Where can I get something like this at?

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    So what are the problems with the Avet 2 speed reels you dislike?
    I am curious on this as well. I have had no problems what-so-ever with either of my Avet 2-speed reels.

Personally I like PENN International rods. Not the most expensive but they are real good rods and mine have more sensitive tips than most rods. Real durable and good quality.Roller stripper and roller tip witch is my prefrence.
    I believe they are model # VS3080RS56. I have 4 of them and I just love them for jigging and plunking bait.
    Cost me $180 each online and got free shipping even to Soldotna.
    I have PENN 340 GTI reels on them and I have good luck with these also.
    Cost me about $130 or $140 each a couple of years ago at Trustworthy.
    Not the most expensive setups but WAAAY better than the cheap combos most people use.

Are those the best rods that Penn offers for halibut fishing do you know? I know Penn is really well known for their reels but this is the first that I've heard of their rods.

Unbridled Beast

The depth/conditions YOU fish,dictate the requisite tackle.

I prefer to chase 'buts in 10 fathoms or less.

We typically fish in 80 feet of water

Quote Originally Posted by Unbridled Beast View Post
    The depth/conditions YOU fish,dictate the requisite tackle.

I prefer to chase 'buts in 10 fathoms or less.

Default PENN Rods

I usually fish 100-150' . These rods are from the PENN international series of rods. PENN Makes all kinds of fishing rods from salmon to billfish.
    The main reason I bought these particular rods was that my dad had one and he really liked it. I tried it and really liked it too.
    I have not tried any other Halibut rated(standup) rods from PENN. I do know that PENN makes a lot of different rods many of witch are rated for halibut lines. These rods are not made specifically made or marketed for butts.
    My dad showed me how if you hold one of these butt rod and reels in your hands and he jerks on the line These PENN rods have a lot more give to them when compared to my old Discount combo rods.The rods take more of the fight not the fisherman.
    I used to use the old white "pool cue" $89 Kmart specials and can't imagine going back.
    Check out their website for all of their fishing rods @ pennreels.com
    P.S. Don't order from cabelas they wanted over $50 ea. for shipping.
    Found a company Castawaylakes in Ohio who gave me the best price others were cheaper but did not offer free shipping so in the end cost more.
    Could not find these rods anywhere in Alaska and nobody wanted to special order them for me.
    Also PENN has a warranty repair center in Ninilchik tag's reel repair so I don't have to send my reels outside for repairs. Tag does real good work and has $30-40kworth of parts on hand for quick turnaround times.
    Just my opinion but these combos sure work well for me.
    CHRIS

Default G Loomis or Shimano

Shimano has some incredibly strong, lightweight jigging rods that will handle large halibut. Loomis makes very good graphite halibut rods that are a dream to fish and carry the forever Loomis warranty. Break it, any reason, and 65 bones gets u a new rod. Penn International reels are very good, as are the Shimano Trinidad series. Both are machined bar stock aluminum, anodized, great saltwater reels.

Quote Originally Posted by living_the_dream View Post
    Is the 300gr made my Jigging Master? I do want to get something that is well regarded amongst halibut enthusiasts. Where can I get something like this at?
    This is the US distributor for Jigging Master

http://www.jignpop.com/

I've heard that some avets will bind up on high drag settings. I only see this as a problem if you are going for the smallest possible reel yet still want a heavy drag. If that's the case, then go with an Accurate double drag reel.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    This is the US distributor for Jigging Master

http://www.jignpop.com/

I've heard that some avets will bind up on high drag settings. I only see this as a problem if you are going for the smallest possible reel yet still want a heavy drag. If that's the case, then go with an Accurate double drag reel.
    on the grams, what rod do you recommend? They have 350, 400, and 500g. Fishing out of deep creek you can sometimes put as much as 3 pound weights on the line since the current is so strong. What would be best recommended for this? Would the 350g have a higher sensitivity than the 500g? Thanks!

Exclamation

The rods Penn puts their name on now are Made in China and are junk.

An Accurate reel and either a Calstar or Seeker rod would be a high end outfit that would do the trick-make sure the rod has a Robert's Wrap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast