Thread: Rifle transport to Alaska from the lower...

Question Rifle transport to Alaska from the lower...

Got a big-time (to me) gun question. How do I best ransport my Marlin guide gun to Fairbanks for a September Moose hunt? I'm coming from michigan to hunt with my son, and I've had a bad experience with the airline losing my luggage and can't afford it this time. I've been told to "mail it to myself" at the local post office. This was told by a licensed gun dealer. supposedly, since I'm not giving posession to anyone else, it can be legally done. Has anyone actually DONE this?What's your experience with firearms on airlines to Ak? I'm all ears (try not to stare, snx, snx)

I fly with guns all the time and have never had a problem, but it only takes once.

Your guy is 100% correct about the mailing long arms. Mail them to yourself at someone’s house or even for counter pickup at the post office as long as it's from you to you your set.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I also fly with guns all of the time and I have never had a problem, Ironically I will be flying to Fairbanks today with one. I have mailed to myself before as well when I was taking more than 2 firearms and no problems with that either.

Doug

I mailed almost my entire collection up to myself when I moved up in 2005. It worked fine, and it can ONLY be done for long guns. I never had any problems, although the post master didn't think it was legal until he looked it up, so be prepared for some minor issues. Most of the UP post masters have dealt with it in the past, not sure about them trolls though.

I've flown with them too & had them delayed for upto 48 hours. I'd ship them to myself or to your son if he's already up here.

Good luck on the hunt.

Trusting the airlines vs. the USPS...dude, that's a toss up. Guns are a serious deal on the airlines. I've lost a dozen bags temporarily in the last 20 years, but never more than 24 hrs of lost. I've traveled with archery gear and guns that same amount of time and have NEVER had one come up missing or even late. Thousands of guys fly to Alaska with guns every year, it's a non-issue.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem