Thread: Spring snow geese season?

Default Spring snow geese season?

If they are trying to get rid of a million or so in the lower 48, why not give us a chance to help in the spring? I have been seeing large numbers of them.

The average joe is not deemed worthy enough to harvest them in the spring, according to fish and game. I've seen thousands of them in the spring too.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Ive been shooting numbers of them.

Spring geese hunting is perfectly legal.

Dosent matter "who" you are it matters "Where " you are in the state.

Use your computer or call the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.

Get educated.

Then you wont miss next years spring hunt.

Free your mind and your ass will follow.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Talking

Great job Stranger! A mind is a Terrible thing to waste!

Walt

yep yep

you probably have more than me, but I'll try to catch up!!!

why limit it to snows and blues and why not have a spring canadian goose hunt too? There is a huge surplus of them also! I'll have to look into that spring snowgoose stuff...have gave it thought but being the not so big into waterfowling guy that I am, havent pursued it. Would love a good goose dinner after a long winter of hibernation

It doesn't matter where their mind is.................the ass has to reside in rural Ak.

Spring is open season on most species of waterfowl, including the canucks. You just have to live in the politically correct area. An no..............you can't just go there for the hunt.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I believe the snow geese they are concerned with are a different population then the ones we get in AK. The geese are so numerous that they are doing serious damage to the area(Hudson bay) where they nest. I've never heard of it happening with the ones in AK. I might be wrong though.

KK

Ok....

Whitfronts, Canadians, Snows, Tundra swans, Ocean ducks of all sorts....HAVE A SPRING HUNT. I know guys down in the Southern parts of AK habve a Spring hunt as well.
    Spring Goose hunting.....Up here, down south and all over rual Alaska. If you choose to live in a city, and it cant happen there, what can I say?

But "YES" there is a spring season.

Got this, this morning. Tundra swan, before anyone ask's if theres a season, YES, its one of three I can get, and i marked it off my ticket.

The women are plucking Right Now......
    Notice the two Canadians???? Plenty of Ducks to boot.

Look up your local laws and git it on!

Is that the swan skin I see on the floor, in back, on the lower pic? A couple more of those and the kid holding the swan in the first pic could have a parky!!

Yep, thats the skin. Swans are best skinned, plucking them is near impossible, especcially when chilled.

4 skins make a good parkee, just gotta really work the fats off. Bird skins are probly the hardest skins to tan.
    She trims them with the pices of the neck skins, as they are tough and keep it from tearing.

Gave the oldest a nice parkee when he was a kid, and it lasted about a week befor some P O S stole it.

I'll look for a picture.

If you choose to live in a city, and it cant happen there, what can I say?
    You can say that only 13% of Alaska's population can participate. Those that live in rural areas, nowhere near a city, in many places in the state CANNOT participate. This is fair?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I'll assume this thread wasn't started as a discussion of "fair". However, I'll give my 2 cents worth about the fairness of rural spring waterfowl hunting.
    Yes, Doug, it is fair. If you want to participate in this activity, you can CHOOSE to live in a rural area. Just as those who wish to have the benefits of urban life can choose to live in an urban area. Personally, I don't think it's fair we have been paying 5 bucks a gal. for gas all winter, while you guys along the roads have enjoyed the lower oil prices that started last fall. But then, I could move to Talkeetna if I wanted, eh?

Lots of communities/individuals don't get to participate. Many are farther out in the "bush" than some of the western Alaskan villages. Folks that chose to live somewhere generations ago that suddenly had civilation crop up around them are screwed too. I guess you can see where I land on this whole "rural" preference thing
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Now this word, "Fair"?? LOL!! ....

Whats that? Hmmmmmmmmmm...... I see few things that are consitterd "Fair"
    Theres a word nobody can define the same as the next guy. What in life IS fair? I think its more of an "ideal" than reality.
    As soon people figure out that Life is Not fair, the easyier it will be to accept it or do something about

I didnt define or make the rules that we hunt by, I can only post my results, and all the controversy they seem to stir.

Theres little I can personally say or do for you, 'cept to offer that should you find yourself living 'round here, I'd gladly take a you out to the Hot spots.

Anchorage was nearly wilderness a few generations ago.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Folks that chose to live somewhere generations ago that suddenly had civilation crop up around them are screwed too.
    How are folks "screwed" by having civilization spring up? Again, Doug, if you, or anyone, are dissatisfied with the pro's and cons of where you live, MOVE! Many of those who live out here don't think the hunting advantages outweigh the high cost of living here. There's jobs out here. Come give it a try. If you want what we have, come live here. It's that easy. If I want what you have, I'll come live there.

You can only judge fair when you compare apples to apples not apples to oranges. Why do only bow hunters get to hunt Elk in some places in the S.E..Why can't I use salmon roe to fish any lakes in my area but folks in other areas can. What makes it fair is nobody can use salmon roe in lakes in my area and everyone can in others. Some areas can take five wolfs and some can take more and some less.Some folks that don't want to hunt where they live can jump in their truck and drive five hundred miles to hunt somewhere else.I got twenty miles I can drive or take a boat ride but its where I choose to live and glad folks can't drive to here. The choise is simple,wallmart or geese

Amigo Will, you are comparing apples to oranges in your analogies. The issue is not comperable to a lake that is limited to single hook no eggs because that regulation is consistant for all residents of the state who choose to do what it takes to get there and cast their line in the water. The issue with the spring goose hunt is that it is NOT open to all residents that can get there shotgun in hand. It specifically outlaws certain residents based on where they live not where they hunt. That is at the least wrong and likely unconstitutional. Residents are residents, Stranger can shoot 5 bou a day in his unit, and rightfully so but I as a fellow resident can also fly my happy behind up there and shoot my 5 a day as well. Limits by GMU and subunit are only logical game management. That management is quite different than providing special treatment and allocations for a select group of residents based on percived deprevity.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Residents are residents,
    Your wrong, Lujon. Both state and fed rules discriminate by location at times. The state has several means at it's disposal to make it difficult for non local residents to participate in certain hunts. Fed rules use residential location solely, but only when a population is diminished.
    The resident requirement for spring waterfowl is based on a tradition, not on a sense of deprivity.