Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 gun list.

Default 3 gun list.

I'm a newlywed and have a deal with my wife: I have permission to have 3 guns at a time, which sounds pretty reasonable since I've never had a big collection anyway. Here's what I've come up with after a bit of thought:

1) CCW: Smith model 642. I handled one for the first time not long ago and have one on order. My SP101 was too heavy and a model 340 was way too light. The 642 felt like it hit the sweet spot between weight & power.

2) Open carry/home defense: Short barrelled Smith model 629. I plan on shooting .44 spl most of the time, but will use heavy magnums while hiking.

3) Plinking/small game: Ruger 10/22 or 77/22. The Marlin Papoose is also on my radar, but I'd have to shoot one first.

That about covers all the bases I'd want. My wife wants a long-barreled single action, which I think would complement this collection well. There's no real anti-bear gun in there, but dear ol' Dad would be happy to lend me a longarm whenever we come visit Alaska.

Any thoughts? What would you choose? If I lived up there I'd put a high-powered rifle in there somewhere, or at least switch to a bigger caliber OC handgun.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

I think that if your wife wants a long barrelled single action, that is her gun and you are now up to 4.

Any thoughts? What would you choose? [/QUOTE]

I'd choose a New Wife Right Now! get out now before you'll owe alimony

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJCootie View Post
    Any thoughts? What would you choose?

I'd choose a New Wife Right Now! get out now before you'll owe alimony [/QUOTE]

1+ . . . Add me to that list, alimony or child support!

What the heck did you get from her for this "deal" you worked out? She only gets to have 3 pairs of shoes at a time, or 3 purses. Any number of anything set in stone like that will at some point become a bone of contention between her and you, not a good idea.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I like the 3 pair of shoes argument. Then, get her a pair of boots for hunting season.

30.06, .22, 12 guage, .44
    Nobody could get by with just 3 guns
    30.06 for hunting, .22 for plinking (cheaply), 12 guage for birds, .44 for the hip or chest
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJCootie View Post
    Any thoughts? What would you choose?

I'd choose a New Wife Right Now! get out now before you'll owe alimony [/QUOTE]

hear this man... as i am on number 3... the first two having thought they could change me. some things you don't settle on.

teach her how to shoot. explain it all to her if she dont listen kicker to the curb. ........
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    : I have permission to have 3 guns at a time...
    I have a similar arrangement with my spouse- I can only have three guns in the vehicle, on my person, in the luggage, in the canoe, etc. at a time...

Oh... you mean three guns PERIOD.

Best of luck with that.

Permission?
    Never make a deal when it comes to gun control of ANY kind. Guns are tool, you are a Man.
    I just disregard any "Rule" that's rediculas, and proceed. I found it best get that down at the start, and things are still chugging along.

30-06, .22lr, 12gauge has already been reccomended, and the best Bear Protection gun is a Rifle, in my opinon, though the shotgun is very light with a short barrel, so you have that coverd as well.

You both should have a gun for every occassion.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I'm a newlywed and have a deal with my wife: I have permission to have 3 guns at a time, which sounds pretty reasonable since I've never had a big collection anyway. Here's what I've come up with after a bit of thought:

1) CCW: Smith model 642. I handled one for the first time not long ago and have one on order. My SP101 was too heavy and a model 340 was way too light. The 642 felt like it hit the sweet spot between weight & power.

2) Open carry/home defense: Short barrelled Smith model 629. I plan on shooting .44 spl most of the time, but will use heavy magnums while hiking.

3) Plinking/small game: Ruger 10/22 or 77/22. The Marlin Papoose is also on my radar, but I'd have to shoot one first.

That about covers all the bases I'd want. My wife wants a long-barreled single action, which I think would complement this collection well. There's no real anti-bear gun in there, but dear ol' Dad would be happy to lend me a longarm whenever we come visit Alaska.

Any thoughts? What would you choose? If I lived up there I'd put a high-powered rifle in there somewhere, or at least switch to a bigger caliber OC handgun.
    Ahhh the old marriage "rules" Yea, that works!
    Divorce her TODAY before you hate her, and trust me you WILL hate her having to live by her rules. Never look back! Life is far too short!

Default I think

you should tell your wife you need 3 guns a year. 3 guns total just wont cut it, my wife even has more than 3 guns.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

I concur with the other fellas saying that agreeing to arbitrary limits on anything is a bad idea.

For a newlywed Alaskan, 3 guns to start out with:

1. 30-06 or .300 Win Mag for big game hunting
    2. .22 plinker (Ruger 10/22, or Ruger .22 auto pistol)
    3. 12ga shotgun. Bird hunting, range fun, home defense, hiking bear defense

Mossberg used to sell a 12 ga package that came with two barrels, a stock, and a pistol grip. Use the long barrel and stock for bird hunting, skeet, etc, and use the short barrel w/ pistol grip for backpacking. Use whatever barrel/ stock combo your comfortable with for home defense.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

then again there is the shoe defence... you shot it once and it lands in the back of the closet ....till the new pair arrives only to be worn once.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default another agree...

on the "rule" thing and that three are not enough, but having said that:

1. the '06
    2. 12 gauge for hunting/home and bear defense
    3. but I'd go .22 mag so you have more options...

T/C

Every barrel.

thats ONE!

meet on face book here

Exclamation what?

I think what she is trying to do is unconstitutional!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

3 guns seems like an unreasonable restriction.

If you choose to agree to it, for reasons of economizing until better times, I spose that could be OK, as long as you're not being dictated to.

If she just hates guns, hunting, etc. and thinks she is being magnanimous by allowing you 3 guns, and intends this to be a forever thing, yeah, you need to find another gal. It's not likely this one is gonna work out.

If for some reason I consider valid, I were restricted to 3 Guns for my use here in the Greatland,
    I would choose a 7x57 for beeg game hunting,
    a 357 Magnum Revolver, with a longer barrel,
    and a 22 LR, Handgun or Rifle, for small game.

This leaves out a shootgun, but I've not had much use for them up here, and I can use the 22 for small game. I could forego the shootgun, if I had to.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Well, I agree that a .30-06/.300 win mag/other .30 cal, a .22lr, and a 12 ga. would be a good setup.

However, you could get around this rule with guns that have modular barrels and slides or upper receivers ie. glock with a .45 ACP and 10mm setup, an AR-10 w/ .308, .338 federal, .325 wsm, and .450 marlin uppers, and an AR-15 with a .22lr conversion, .223, and .458 socom or .50 cal beowulf.

That's a heck of deal you got roped into. So what happens if you violate it? "Well judge, I need a divorce, my husband has one too many guns." Judge, "And that's a problem why?" Wife, "Well judge, I don't have enough room for my shoes." No real hunting weapons on the list.
    I have an EX wife that didn't want me hunting, a sentiment that was not expressed before hand.

My wife has purchased me more than three guns, no you can't have her she is mine!! She bought me a 325 wsm browning A-bolt, a 22 pistol, and a 12 gauge within the last 2 years and herself a 308 Ruger compact, which she used to take her first moose last fall. If she keeps stealing my Ruger Redhawk 44 I am going to be forced to buy myself a new one.

If I was set to buy 3 guns to START a mariage they would be the aformentioned 30 something, 12 gauge, and .22 in whatever flavor you like.

A word of advice to the both of you, the faster you accept the things your partner desires and start helping them aquire or achieve it the better you will be in the long run. If she loves shoes then set a budget and help her reward success with a new pair. The same should be reciprocated and you will both be happier in a long future together! Too many people fail to accept that some things need to be important to you simply because they are important to your spouse.
    Last edited by LuJon; 05-14-2009 at 11:00.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Too many people fail to accept that some things need to be important to you simply because they are important to your spouse.
    Well said sir!

You sound like you'll be married a long, long time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast