Thread: Tipping Policy for Week Long Charter

Default Tipping Policy for Week Long Charter

We are planning a week long trip (7 days) to fish in SE Alsaka. The entire trip is aboard a boat with a crew of six. Our cost does not include tipping. If I follow the 15-20% tipping guidelines it will cost another $2K. That seems rather high.

Crew is the owner, a chef, captain, guide and deckhand.

Any advice???

Wapitihunter

how many people are going?

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    how many people are going?
    Four couples (8) who do not know each other prior to the trip.

The whole tipping thing is tough, personally I'd prefer to just be charged what it costs a charter to pay their folks well vs. many of them expecting a majority of their compensation to come from tips.

That said, the charter/guiding industry world wide has tipping figured into how it opperates.

And thus, if the crew provides exemplary service, consider providing a tip if you can. If the trip maxed out you could afford, the crew can certainly understand that, and I imagine in todays economy crews are happy to have work.

But realize the crew is basically working 24/7, and certainly putting in some long days. So if they show you the time of your life, you might want to be able to show your appreciation for their hard work.

What Paul H said, and if you tip, tip each person directly to make sure that they get it. I wouldn't want someone to skim a little off the top.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default hmmmmm

Much as been written on these forums over the years about tipping. It is a blessing and a curse at the same time.

I understand that $2000 sounds like a lot of money, but think about it this way, for each person for a week long trip it is only $250. It is not unrealistic to receive a much greater tip from a single person for a week long trip.

The normal tip that I receive on the Kenai River is between $20 and $50 per person for a 9 hour trip without meals or any other service. So, I think that $250 is a real bargain, and indeed if possible, consider even more if the service exceeds your expectations!

On the other hand, if the service is less than expected and reasonable, then tip less.

I know that it sounds like a lot, but consider that you are paying the tip for 8 people.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Default Tipping

One other consideration is that one of the crew is the owner of the operation. In most if not all other venues, you don't tip owners- I know I don't if I go on a halibut trip with an owner/operator. Just my $0.02 worth.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    Much as been written on these forums over the years about tipping. It is a blessing and a curse at the same time.

I understand that $2000 sounds like a lot of money, but think about it this way, for each person for a week long trip it is only $250. It is not unrealistic to receive a much greater tip from a single person for a week long trip.

The normal tip that I receive on the Kenai River is between $20 and $50 per person for a 9 hour trip without meals or any other service. So, I think that $250 is a real bargain, and indeed if possible, consider even more if the service exceeds your expectations!

On the other hand, if the service is less than expected and reasonable, then tip less.

I know that it sounds like a lot, but consider that you are paying the tip for 8 people.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

I think you missed my point slightly. I'm talking about a $2K tip for two people, not for the whole party. We do not know the other guests or what they are planning on tipping but our fee for the week is $10K+, for two people and at 20 % that is $2K just for us. I don't have any idea about what the rest of the party will do.

I would budget about $75 to $100 per day per angler for tips.
    Don't worry about what the others are doing, put your and your partners money together and decide how to split it between the 4 employees based on performance. The owner is making all the $$$$ on the trip and should be left out of the tipping split. The bulk of your tip should go to the deck hands and the rest split between the captain and chef.
    As it's a live aboard charter it should be treated like a stay at a quality fishing lodge. Tips go to the guides, wait staff, house keeping and are doled out according to amount of work, quality of work and attitude.

Default I see...

Quote Originally Posted by wapitihunter46 View Post
    I think you missed my point slightly. I'm talking about a $2K tip for two people, not for the whole party. We do not know the other guests or what they are planning on tipping but our fee for the week is $10K+, for two people and at 20 % that is $2K just for us. I don't have any idea about what the rest of the party will do.
    That does change things a little bit.... but still keep it in context. Bottom line, tip according to your heart and walk away feeling good, not wondering (too much or not enough). I do agree with other posts... tip each person directly. If the owner stays at the lodge, probably not necessary to tip, however if they are out there working their tail off guiding you and teaching and ??? Then certainly consider a tip for them as well. So, put yourselves in their shoes, tip as your heart leads, not out of compulsion. By the way, I have received tips anywhere from $0 to more than the price of the charter. Most quality guides, outfitters, lodges, etc will not be standing at the door with their hand out.

Another factor... most peole don't tip for their lodging (i.e. hotels or cabins), but do tip for their meals, so consider the service provided, and bless those who do their best to provide you service that meets or exceeds your expectations.

Here is my bottom line.... the best tip you can give me is a reservation for next year... that speaks way more about my service than dollars.

Hope that helps

cheers

My tip depends entirely on the service i get. Thats the service not the catch. some of the best tips i have given were on trips where fishing was so so. I also did not tip on one charter on the great lakes where the fishing was great but the trip was a real downer. The captain was a jerk and was always growling about something. the boat was a mess and he was very short and gruff. He was not fun to fish with. he did not get a tip. On the other hand on one trip we only got a few fish but the boat was clean and the captain went way out of his way to find us some fish but the fish had other thoughts. He was a great guy and it was a great day on the water!

Wapiti, if it were me I would budget for the higher end. I have had several trips to Alaska and always end up tipping on the high end. I’ve never had a bad trip to Alaska and always leave feeling that they have deserved every penny of the tip. I wouldn’t want to get home feeling that I had not been fair with them as they have worked hard to entertain me for a week. Sounds like a lot of money but well worth it for the experience!

Lots of good recommendations below. I am an owner/operator and do not expect any tips on my day trips, but do for the mates as long as they have there act together. I tell/teach them that we are putting on a show... good show= good tips. At the same time when I go on chartered river trips or flyouts with friends that come up to visit I tip according to service. I had one guide so bad on a river here he made me really think about how I need to treat my clients... I did not tip him a penny by my friends gave him a couple bucks... Treat the tips like anything else in the service business and don't feel guilty.

If you have time let us know how it all turns out at the end of the trip. Have fun!

www.fishwithhill.com