Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bear Hunters - Obey the Law

Default Bear Hunters - Obey the Law

Watching Out of the Wild on Discovery.....narrator just said "in order to shoot a bear in Alaska, hunters must be within 100 yards of their target."

Hope all you guys and gals are obeying this law I have never heard of. And if this were indeed the case, it would make all of the caliber questions moot - we should all be totin' a nice 45-70!

They are also referring to the 45-70 rifle the people have as a 45.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Watching Out of the Wild on Discovery.....narrator just said "in order to shoot a bear in Alaska, hunters must be within 100 yards of their target."
    No, no, not...That's only if it is less than 7 mm . Greater than that, have at it!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

They say that so it sounds like all the shots are nice and close and a quick, clean kill is guaranteed. But those of us who have actually hunted know better.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Thumbs down "reality" TV...

whatta bunch of crap.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

"reality" TV...
    whatta bunch of crap.
    Hey nowIf you're man enough come on my show
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

What do the cops always say at a crime scene..."move along now...there's nothing to see here"

I'm waiting for them to hand cuff me as I type!

Wink hey tim....

i'm not skeered
    just figgerin' y'all won't peg my BS meter
    (cause if you do you won't be airing that clip)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

hey tim....
    i'm not skeered
    just figgerin' y'all won't peg my BS meter
    (cause if you do you won't be airing that clip)
    Right on Dave! I knew you weren't. I'll be show'n up purty soon-Make sure ya all wear'n ya super tall Xtratuf boots for the highwater BS

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post

They are also referring to the 45-70 rifle the people have as a 45.
    Actually the narrator said, "hunters are required to be within 100 yards." I thought it might have been a suggestion the way you worded it, but I just turned on the show and it was right at the point where the guide showed up. The narrator also said that to hunt bears in Alaska, you have to have a registered guide. Didn't know that was the case for black bear hunting.

Gotta love these shows that are packed full of information!

Question "reality show"

I was watching the forementioned show and got to thinking... We all know that those shows are somewhat scripted. If you have been following the show from the beginnning, you would remember that the fishing guide was one of the first to give up and call it quits. He said that its not that he couldnt do it its just everyone else was pissing him off because he felt like he had to do everything for the group (or something to that effect). Do you think that the producers told everyone when they had to quit? I think its a likely possibility. What do you guys think?

Default from an outsider

They are always going to make mistakes and yes it's a TV show. You have to remember that the show is geared for the rest of us in the lower 48. Till I can get things settled here so that we can move there I'll take any show on Alaska that I can get. I still enjoy the show and we can all sit, watch, and do the monday armchair QB thing. Sometime thats half the fun. One thing that you have to remember is that most of those individuals are not outdoorsmen of any type. They have definately made this season of the show more demanding and challenging that the first.

Default outsider

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    They are always going to make mistakes and yes it's a TV show. You have to remember that the show is geared for the rest of us in the lower 48. Till I can get things settled here so that we can move there I'll take any show on Alaska that I can get. I still enjoy the show and we can all sit, watch, and do the monday armchair QB thing. Sometime thats half the fun. One thing that you have to remember is that most of those individuals are not outdoorsmen of any type. They have definately made this season of the show more demanding and challenging that the first.
    Yeah but come on, this is real simple basic stuff we're talking here. 45-70 vs .45. These are more than just numbers and if they're going to make shows about the outdoors, get the information right. Most folks like to hear the truth, not made up crap. It's careless on the part of the producers to let stuff like that through. Up here, bad information or careless mistakes in the outdoors can get you into real trouble real quick. These guys get paid a lot of money to produce these "reality" shows, the least they could do is be a little more accurate with the information they put out. Just my .02.
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

It should be pretty entertaining for us Alaskans to see people from the lower 48's showing up with thier 45's now to hunt bears.

Wink Hokey

Part of the fun for me is picking out all the hokey BS. You all know, one trip to Alaska, which I've done, makes somebody a complete expert. Anyway, the scenery is great - and I can follow their trek on the Gazetteer. I asked at the start of the show who came up with the POS Spartan over/under. What, couldn't the producers spring for a Savage 30-30/20 guage?

Also, after the first hike or two, I noticed they ditched the 20 lb. dutch oven - that made me laugh. My buddy and I went on DIY caribou hunt, took 150 lbs of gear - leaving another combined 50 at the outfitter's HQ. After a couple of days in the bush, we finally got it. We didn't eat half the food we brought or wore half the clothes. Next time if we can't carry it in one pack load it won't even make the list. Tent, firearms and ammo, sleeping bag (a lighter Wiggy bag though), food (freeze dried until you catch or kill something, water filter (have you seen the latest MSR?), the rest you can cull pretty heavy.
    Last edited by Redlander; 05-13-2009 at 07:06. Reason: mispelled word

I agree w/ tboehm, the exact cal doesn't really matter. In fact it IS a 45 caliber! Doesn't matter if it was a 45-70 or a 450.. They both have similar ballistics, very similar terminal ballistics and honestly only matter to people like us.

We are not their target audience anyway. We are Alaskan outdoorsmen (and women), a small unique minority, making a show targetting us makes as much sense as making a show where the target audiance is Bering sea crab fishermen.... You don't actually think that "Dangerous Catch" is aimed at commercial fishermen do you?
    I enjoyed last season and would watch this season if I could access it. Yeah there is plenty of BS and I do get a laugh, but I would LOVE to be on the show! Since that isn't likely to happen I will continue to enjoy the scenery and use the imagery to formulate my own wilderness dreams.

There really is all sorts of silliness on the show; but I too found it entertaining.

If there is one thing that comes through, it is how very, very difficult it is to "live off the land". I have not seen any of the most recent but the two ground squirls and the porky were a weeks worth of food for 4 or 5 people? I am sure the producers are supplimenting some of the food but still....

I find it comically entertaining and they are so serious about it all. LOL. J.

It's a tv show, what were you expecting?? Who cares that they are carrying a "45" rifle, it makes for good entertainment when you get to watch them eat ground squirrels, porcupine, ptarmigan and spruce hens. I wonder how long a black bear would have lasted had they killed one. I'm making the call right now, the next one to drop out will be the guy with the back pain.

They also said the same thing last year about requiing guides to hunt big game in Alaska, not just bears. I watched it last night, they were sure making enopugh noise trying to stalk the black bear. Three people plus the camera crew, I wonder how close they thought they could get, maybe 100 yards?
    The majority of the people down south won't knw a .45 from a .45-70, which as Brian pointed out, are both .45 caliber. Then the comment "I'm eating disgusting stuff" was a good one. It does debunk the wide held believe in the lower 48 that there's game everywhere and hunting is easy up here.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    Hey nowIf you're man enough come on my show

can you keep up? sounds like a challange.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast