Thread: Iditasport Ultra Race

Question Iditasport Ultra Race

I'd like to know if anyone else has information regarding the Iditasport Ultra Race. I know that it says ski, foot, bike, or snowshoe, but I think that this hiking section on Outdoors Directory would probably be the best fit for this topic.

Does anyone have any more information than this:
    http://www.allweathersports.com/isport/isport.html

It looks like when I try to link somewhere else, it brings me to some website that needs to be registered.

I'd be VERY interested in doing this race and I'd like to get some information on it before I move forward.
    I am pretty sure that they are already taking candidates for this race, too.

I found this one, too:
    http://www.alaskaultrasport.com/
    but I don't want to do the cycling. I specifically want to do the foot race.

Thanks in Advance!
    ~COtoAK
    Lurker.

Default The 2nd one

The 2nd link you posted (http://www.alaskaultrasport.com/) is the page for the race. The site does not only relate to the bikers, just that they are typically the bigger group. Bill and Kathi Merchant are the race organizers. Click on the link to the "Iditarod Trail Invitational" for the details on the race.

Read through the site, specifically the blog link to get a feel for what you are getting into. This isn't like any other "adventure" race. The lack of support while out there can really take it's toll. There are definitly those who love the race, then there are others who thought it would be fun but it turned out to be far more than they expected.

Sounds good. Thanks for letting me know.
    The 'runs' and 'races' up here are far different than the ones that I am usd to. I never did do the BolderBoulder or the Pikes Peak Marathon, but this is a race that definitely interests me.
    I don't know if I'd ever do it, but I don't want to live my life ever thinking to myself that I should have tried it. I'd like to believe that I'd consider doing this race. I read an article about it a couple of months ago that sparked my interest. It wasn't even an Alaskan magazine or book. It was a running article.
    The thing about doing a race like this is being able to do something that not so many people have tried before. They say that less than 1% of everyone in the world has been on top of a mountain 14,000ft or higher... so why not do a race where the odds are even greater and being able to feat something that's amazing like this race.
    I envy adventure and this would definitely be something that I would have to take the time to train for. I know that the race starts in February and I don't know if that's feasible for our family for this next year, but I want to fit as many races as possible in before we start having children again and this would be one of those 'I wish I could' races.
    I just simply wanted some feedback on it.
    I have decided that I will only enter one race at a time, so I'll have to get that race out of the way before I even consider this one. (smiles)
    Thanks, AnchSkier, for your advice and response.
    Lurker.

Default Look at the Susitna 100

CO,
    You might also want to check out the Susitna 100. It is still one heck of an endurance event, but not quite as "extreme" as the idatasport. It would still be quite an accomplishment.

Was going to ski it this year, but will have to do it in 2010 instead.

By the way, ANCHSKIER is just a poser, lol. Just kidding Jason. He is one heckuva accomplished all-around athlete!! ;-)

-Chris

Thanks, CW. I really appreciate hearing your response as well as your suggestion of the Susitna 100. Have you done this particular race before?

AnchSkier... do you run other races?
    Lurker.

Default All kinds of racing

I haven't had the ambition to jump into the big adventure type races, but I do race a lot of other racing. My main focus is triathlons and race about 10 or so a year with 2-4 out of state. I've done some big ones too like the XTERRA National and World Championships.

In addition to the triathlons, I do a lot of bike racing (road and mountain), cross country ski racing, and cross county running. The Tuesday Night running series is a lot of fun in the fall. I usually do somewhere between 30 and 50 races of one type or another a year .

The idea of the Susitna 50 or 100 would be a great way to "get your feet wet" on the winter adventure racing scene up here. I forgot about those races. A much nicer introduction than jumping into something like the Ultrasport.

I agree.
    I think that doing the Susitna 50 would be a good intro into the other uber races that are offered.

One of the guys that works at Beaver Sports was telling me about another 50 race, but when I googled it, I found this one:
    http://www2.thenorthface.com/enduran.../wa/index.html

The one above looks pretty awesome, but he's doing one across the Canadian Rockies and I can't seem to find it. It's another 50 race.
    Lurker.