Thread: Prop Depth ?

Default Prop Depth ?

After pulling my outboard out of the shop and putting it back on the boat,it seems like the prop sits very low.A guy at work told me today that the center of your prop should sit 1 inch below the bottom of your boat.Anyone else ever heard of this? That seems a little high to me but this is my first boat so i've gotta lot to learn.The boat is a 16' Klamath with a 30 hp Johnson if that matters at all.

Default Prop height

Most specs that I have seen sugest the cavitation plate be at least half to one inch below the bottom of the boat. The set up you describe sound like it will spray alot.

Default Thanks

that makes alot more sense,i'm gonna scope it out tonight and see what i come up with.

Assuming a V hull, the advice I got from the dealer is that the cavitation plate should be about anywhere from level to 1" above the bottom of the V for best performance. If the cavitation plate is too low, then it will be dragging through the water vs. running just over the surface of the water.

The only boats I know that run the centerline of the prop near the bottom of the hull are race boats that use surface piercing props. And they have tremendous rooster tails.