Thread: Coleman Scanoe needs a lift

Default Coleman Scanoe needs a lift

I posted this in the Canoe Forum without response. I figured maybe by posting it in the power boat forum, someone could give me advice about adding a motor to my Scanoe.

I have an older design Coleman Scanoe 15' and a sea king 5hp 1960's era. I have used it in lakes just fine, but when running in the Little Su the motor hangs too far below the boat. I have to tilt the motor up for shallower sections, and lift it out of the water on shallow sections. I have read several old threads about adding lifts, hydofoils, runners, rockhoppers, dolefin, and skirts. I am sure many of these attachments will not fit my old motor, but it is what I have. How should I set up my boat, inexpensively, to protect my motor and get the most use out of it?

If I went cheep and built an extension of my transom, where should my prop sit in relationship to my hull? I do not mind building an extension to my transom to set it at a fixed height, even if it means I loose some top end in lakes. Thanks for any help.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I'll bet if you set you cavitation plate just below the bottom of the canoe it will work just fine.

That would be great if I knew what a cavatation plate is. This is the first motor I have owned.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

horizonal fin on shaft
    on my big boat that needed to be at least 2" below keel bet it could be less maybe even even with keel......bottom of boat. with a scanoe- lower speed and probably less critical..... trial and error
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Most outboard companies suggest that the cav. plate (right above prop) be located 1" under the lowest part of the boat. This is a give-or-take scenerio when mounting a big motor but with the scanoe it should work at level or just under. Do remember that when you lift the motor it changes the CG of the boat and will lean more during steering input.

Thanks for the advice guys. Based on your advice I went home and measured my motor and hull to see how much I need to move. My cavitation plate is already 1" above the bottom of my hull. But my motor has about 9" below the cavitation plate. I sometimes hit bottom with just the canoe, and the motor sits at least another 8" below the canoe. Does anyone know about these lifts that allow you to move the motor on the fly? Thanks again.

I have a lift for sale, just listed on the swap/sell formum. It is designed for the 19ft Grumman, but you are welcome to see if it would fit your scanoe. Yes, you can lift on the fly. I have read on forums that the rockhopper is excellent, and necessary for saving props. PM me if interested.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Thanks for the help so far, but I could still use some more.