Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5-wt fly rod suggestions

Default 5-wt fly rod suggestions

Howzit everyone, im looking for a (4-peice for hiking purposes) 5-wt fly rod that isnt the best of the best but not a beginning one. im kinda looking at something under $100 or maybe a rod and reel set for under $200 anyone got any suggestions?

Hmmmmm 4 pc under 100 is tough, maybe pfluger or scientific angler. Id google and see what you can come up with
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

St Croix Reign 9' 5wt 4 piece

Sportsmans in Anchorage has them on sale at around $96. You can also find them on line. It is ST Croix's beginning line and has a life time waranty to boot.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I'd take a look at what Cabela's has to offer. They have some decent rod/reel combos in that price range, and a lot of them are one sale right now.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    St Croix Reign 9' 5wt 4 piece

Sportsmans in Anchorage has them on sale at around $96. You can also find them on line. It is ST Croix's beginning line and has a life time waranty to boot.

Great deal and great info Garnede thanks for sharing.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Yup

First thought was a St. Croix.

I highly recommend the TFO professional. It will set you back about 150 I believe, but it has a lifetime no fault warranty. I love this rod so much, I own a 5, 6, and 8 weight in it. Definitely look into it and check ut some reviews, you will not be disapointed, I promise.

Default where are you?

If you are in fairbanks I would stop into the fly shop there. They have the Sage Fli which i really like at 50-55% off. It's normally a $250+ rod but they have them for 137 which is a great deal and you also get a lifetime warranty on them.

Redington CPS has been on sale for awhile. I picked one up with a gift certificate and love it. I've caught about 100 grayling on it this season, kinda overpowering for them, but fun nonetheless.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Thanks for all the info everyone. i think i like the TFO lefty kreh 5wt 4pc 9' rod going for 145 anybody got any reviews on these rods? also im looking at the orvis clearwater 2 5wt 4pc 9' fly rod going for 198 anybody got reviews on those? and the thing i like about the orvis the the east return/renew 25 yr policy, but the TFO also has a lifetime warrent but you gotta pay 25 dollars everytime you send it in for repair. Which one seems like a better deal? and i seen an okuma fly reel at walmart on sale for around 45 dollars 5/6 wt. good deal?

Quote Originally Posted by 808Alaska View Post
    Thanks for all the info everyone. i think i like the TFO lefty kreh 5wt 4pc 9' rod going for 145 anybody got any reviews on these rods? also im looking at the orvis clearwater 2 5wt 4pc 9' fly rod going for 198 anybody got reviews on those? and the thing i like about the orvis the the east return/renew 25 yr policy, but the TFO also has a lifetime warrent but you gotta pay 25 dollars everytime you send it in for repair. Which one seems like a better deal? and i seen an okuma fly reel at walmart on sale for around 45 dollars 5/6 wt. good deal?

$25 dollars everytime gets you a brand new rod back from TFO. I'm not sure about Orvis...I've sent in my TFO's a couple of times and everytime I get a brand new rod back, pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    $25 dollars everytime gets you a brand new rod back from TFO. I'm not sure about Orvis...I've sent in my TFO's a couple of times and everytime I get a brand new rod back, pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

Fish On!
    do you know if the warranty is able to be passed on? or is it just the original owner? and do you know of any store in anchorage that has them so i can feel them before i go ahead and buy one?

Mountain View has a Redington combo for a little over $200. It was exactly $200 with line at the Sportsmans Show, so maybe you can get them to make the same deal. I think I saw a 5 wt in there yesterday.

The rod is an RS4, which is selling for about $170, but was originally around $200 or a little more. The reel is a CD Silver Reel, which was originally $139, but now sells on the Redington website for $79. So it's about $140+ less than it originally was. Basically, it seems like they're throwing together a combo of older stuff they want to clear out. Cabelas is selling a comparable combo with the same rod for $270, but that probably has line and backing. But Mountain View wouldn't cost shipping.

And if you're worried about brand or whatever, I'm pretty sure Redington is owned by Sage in a sort of Toyota-Lexus or Ford-Lincoln relationship, though I could be totally wrong.

I bought the set for my wife at the Sportsmans Show, and it seems like a pretty good buy.

Also, you might want to ask the folks at B&G about thier cheaper Pleuger rods. They're under a hundred bucks and the guys there seem pretty high on them.

$200 - Sage Launch, I absolutely love my Launch, it's my go to rod.

$135 - Albright A-5 (5 piece rod), have heard really good reviews about this rod.

Sportsman's Warehouse carries the TFO series of rods if you want to check one out.

HAHA so much choices!!! lol i dont know what to go for. but thanx everyone for all the info ill get back to you guys on what i decide.

The okuma reels are great. They have a sealed drag and will handle any fish you want to catch on a 5 wt.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Yes. the warranty is transferable. I never registered my first rod with them, and when I snapped my tip off while loading it in the truck (ARRRRG), they replaced it no questions asked. So I think as long as you have a TFO, they will replace it. Again, you will love that Lefty Kreh Professional series rod, the are an amazing rod for the price!

Default new rod

HAHA thanks everyone for the suggestions but i actually went with the Redington CPS 5wt 9' 4-pc rod at sportsmans, they had it for $159 with and extra %10 percent off so all i need now is a decent reel. but thanks everyone for all the helpful info and all the advice.

oh and does anyone know if i have to activate my lifetime warrenty on my rod or is it automatically actived when purchased?

Redington rods should come with a warranty registration card.
    Last edited by michigan_mike; 05-15-2009 at 15:53. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast