Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone been out of Seward yet?

Default Has anyone been out of Seward yet?

I'm planning on heading out on Friday for a day trip. I'm thinking of heading towards the Chiswells, but would certainly prefer to fish a bit closer in if the fish are in.

I've never fished Seward this early in the year.

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Charterboat Operator

talked to a bud that was there on Sat. , they went almost around to gore point, nice butts, awsome water, smallest 15# largest 253#. heck of a way to start the season.

Thanks for the link.

Some of those "keepers" are pretty small, but that seems typical of the larger charter boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Thanks for the link.

Some of those "keepers" are pretty small, but that seems typical of the larger charter boats.
    It is tough for those charter guys, they get ripped on for killing big female fish, then they bring in a bunch of good eaters and they get it as well for catching small fish. Catch-22

Don't we want to encourage people to go after the smaller males and not the big spawners?

Default Few chickens

were had a May 2nd on a full day out of Seward. First sunburn of the year.
    Last edited by Formerly Montana Bob; 08-16-2009 at 10:31.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Default Seward fishing

Hi Paul

Our boats have been out on about a dozen trips over the last three weeks. Local catches have been ranging from fair to very good. The bite seems to have improved during this last minus tide cycle. I think if you fish the Chiswells, Pilot Rock, Barwell or Cape Mansfield/ Horsehead Bay areas you will catch some fish. I wouldn't say fishing is near it's seasonal peak but there are enough fish around to make things intersesting. You proabaly already know this, but try to be fishing an hour or two before the tide change.

As far as any charters catching a 253 pound halibut, I have not heard that story but I guess it is possible. Everyone usually knows when a fish that big comes to the dock, especially at this time of year. I did see both the Crackerjack and Profish-n-Sea came in today with a very nice rack of fish for any time of year, each with a couple at around 100 and some other nice eaters. Other than that, I would say typical for this time of year. lots of 18 - 24 pounders if you put them on a scale, with one nice one to make the photo complete is about average. Fuel dock is open 7 to 7 and I think gas is about 2.95 a gallon.

Thats all from sunny Seward

Good Luck

Not personally looking to go out of Seward, but just wanted to give a special thanks to Capt. Every post I see dealing with his hometown is not only answered promptly, but accurately and with helpful information.

Big pat on the back capt , good job, you deserve more credit than is typically given.

-Nick

I'll second that motion!!!! Definately some good info coming out of his keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    It is tough for those charter guys, they get ripped on for killing big female fish, then they bring in a bunch of good eaters and they get it as well for catching small fish. Catch-22

Don't we want to encourage people to go after the smaller males and not the big spawners?
    Very well said. I agree with you totally...

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    Hi Paul

Our boats have been out on about a dozen trips over the last three weeks. Local catches have been ranging from fair to very good. The bite seems to have improved during this last minus tide cycle. I think if you fish the Chiswells, Pilot Rock, Barwell or Cape Mansfield/ Horsehead Bay areas you will catch some fish. I wouldn't say fishing is near it's seasonal peak but there are enough fish around to make things intersesting. You proabaly already know this, but try to be fishing an hour or two before the tide change.

As far as any charters catching a 253 pound halibut, I have not heard that story but I guess it is possible. Everyone usually knows when a fish that big comes to the dock, especially at this time of year. I did see both the Crackerjack and Profish-n-Sea came in today with a very nice rack of fish for any time of year, each with a couple at around 100 and some other nice eaters. Other than that, I would say typical for this time of year. lots of 18 - 24 pounders if you put them on a scale, with one nice one to make the photo complete is about average. Fuel dock is open 7 to 7 and I think gas is about 2.95 a gallon.

Thats all from sunny Seward

Good Luck
    Thanks for the input! I'm not looking for monsters, a boat full of ~20's with a 50 or two would be ideal, then we can chase some rock fish, and maybe find a wayward king. So far the forecast looks good, and timing should be perfect. I figure we'll be on the water around 8 am, which gives us 2 hours to get to the Chiswells, which is 2 hours before low slack. I'm looking forward to my boys having a chance to finally land some Halibut.

Even if we get skunked, it'll be the first day on the water this year, and any day on the water is a good day for me

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Not personally looking to go out of Seward, but just wanted to give a special thanks to Capt. Every post I see dealing with his hometown is not only answered promptly, but accurately and with helpful information.

Big pat on the back capt , good job, you deserve more credit than is typically given.

-Nick
    I need to jump on with Nick and also let the Capt know that his info is very much appreciated. I continue to try and gain knowledge from his posts.

I've had luck with rockfish and lingcod out in the Chiswell area by fishing pinnacles and other vertical structure. How does one find halibut out here? Fishing pinnacles, drop offs, or finding flat spots within reach? I've only had luck out of Homer and over towards Montague and that has been fishing the likely gravel beds. Any tips are apppreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    I've had luck with rockfish and lingcod out in the Chiswell area by fishing pinnacles and other vertical structure. How does one find halibut out here? Fishing pinnacles, drop offs, or finding flat spots within reach? I've only had luck out of Homer and over towards Montague and that has been fishing the likely gravel beds. Any tips are apppreciated.
    Same area as you've been fishing, but a little deeper (190-230). Get off the East side of Chiswell 1 and look at your charts you'll see the contour lines around that depth. Look at your finder and find some smaller rock piles off the shelf. You need to find the bait and you'll find the halibut out there. If you go further west it gets better in my experiences.

230 - 330 in May, Shallower in June, July and August. Busy time of year for me. Gotta go...

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    230 - 330 in May, Shallower in June, July and August. Busy time of year for me. Gotta go...

listen to him he knows more about fishing out of that port that just about anyone (except for maybe the guy from Seward Premier Charter ).

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    listen to him he knows more about fishing out of that port that just about anyone (except for maybe the guy from Seward Premier Charter ).
    HAHA

Hope you guys have a great year! I have heard of the good fishing you've had this week!

-Ben

That was funny! See you guys down here soon.

yeah not too much longer, I'm going down on the 30th and then the boat will be headed this way on the 3rd

Thanks again for the input. Once again I can't find a halibut to hook. But my co-worker landed a 50 pounder, the boys caught some rock fish, and I spent alot of time hooking and releasing ling cod and yellow eye. So fresh fish and a good trip.

We also got a visit from the Troopers on the W side of Aialik Cape. Nice guys and just wanting to make sure folks follow the regs. That's the first time in 12 years I've been asked for my fishing license.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast