Thread: Wire leaders ??

Default Wire leaders ??

Is it necessary to use any type of leader when using spinners and jigs for silvers , pinks and especially chum ( big teeth) Thanks

I typically use 20-30# mono straight from the reel to terminal tackle with no problems. Its not a bad idea to inspect the line and cut off a couple of feet once you find any nicks. This is for saltwater setups, fighting them in the rivers can be a bit tougher on tackle.

We've even caught a few on the kids lw spinning outfits with 10# test. It works fine so long as you don't go crazy with the drag and the fish don't circle the anchor line

No need for leaders, I use straight 8 to 12 pound test on spinning outfits.
    As mentioned, check the last foot or so of line every so often for nicks.

I use 3 ft of 40# leader for casting spinners and spoons..... 5 ft of 40# leader for plugs and wobblers fished in the current below the boat.

Mainline is 6-12# test depending on the rod being used.

Salmon are NOT leader shy.

I use heavy leader so I can grab it when it comes time to quickly de-hook the fish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kinYKR35UzU
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

OK , thanks guys , I was looking at pics of the chums and was surprised to see huge teeth and thought maybe a leader was necessary , but kind of a pain , glad I don't have to bother.

If you get into the chums, you'll want some tough line. Trust me. You'll get irritated at losing gear on those **** things.
    Last edited by pike_palace; 05-12-2009 at 18:59. Reason: change of opinion
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

When I'm backtrolling into early July on the Nush, the chums get thick....and angry. (I've lost more kwikfish to them than to kings), I usually run 30 pound mono (4 ft) when runnin plugs and check and after every chum and retie if need be. Good thing to think about though cuz chum teeth will rip you and your stuff up if they can....

So doc, you say you run much heavier eh? How heavy can I go?...I was thinking with keeping the diameter to 30 pound I would keep the plug workin decent without the fatty line...but perhaps methinks too much, I'd love to be able to be more muscly with the chums just to get em off the hook faster...those teeth are no fun in a net either.

I use 40# Maxima UltraGreen leader for virtually all of my boat-based salmon fishing with artificials... that includes everything from the lowly pink to the majestic Kenai King. If you use a big round snap (never the cheapo angular ones!) that allows freedom of movement at the point of attachment, the action of your plug, spoon, or wobbler remains intact. You can direct tie to a spinner as that style lure revolves around a fixed axis... "action" of a spinner has ZERO relation to the caliber of leader you select.

I'll upgrade to 60# Max UG for diver/bait or backbouncing bait for Kenai kings. The leader is tight up against their teeth! With K16 KwikFish on an extended trailer hook the plug itself acts as a good 8-plus inch "buffer" to shield the leader from sharp teeth so the 40# Max UG works just fine.

I've never really tested what the real break strength of 40#Max UG actually is. All I know is that 15# Max UG breaks a lot closer to 20#. The branded 40# probably breaks closer to 50#.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    I use 40# Maxima UltraGreen leader for virtually all of my boat-based salmon fishing with artificials... that includes everything from the lowly pink to the majestic Kenai King. If you use a big round snap (never the cheapo angular ones!) that allows freedom of movement at the point of attachment, the action of your plug, spoon, or wobbler remains intact. You can direct tie to a spinner as that style lure revolves around a fixed axis... "action" of a spinner has ZERO relation to the caliber of leader you select.

I'll upgrade to 60# Max UG for diver/bait or backbouncing bait for Kenai kings. The leader is tight up against their teeth! With K16 KwikFish on an extended trailer hook the plug itself acts as a good 8-plus inch "buffer" to shield the leader from sharp teeth so the 40# Max UG works just fine.

I've never really tested what the real break strength of 40#Max UG actually is. All I know is that 15# Max UG breaks a lot closer to 20#. The branded 40# probably breaks closer to 50#.
    Thanks Doc, ....40 or 50 it is.

I love maxima...that stuff (unlike so many other monos) is all it's rated at and as you said....more. Plus the abrasion resistance is unrivaled.

Yes Chum have big teeth but for the most part they are round and not terribly likely to cut your line. I use 10 to 15 lb line when fishing from shore.

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    Yes Chum have big teeth but for the most part they are round and not terribly likely to cut your line. I use 10 to 15 lb line when fishing from shore.
    Usually startin in July the chums get super thick and most have their teeth (and color) on...I hate nettin those things so I like to do the pliers/grab the line thing but after a while those nicks (and my impatience) stack up and them POP....goes the kwikfish. Then I get to hang my head and do the zigzag backtroll while trying to tie up another while my partner fishes....and then hooks up....and pretty soon I'm three down by the time I'm tied up again.

From shore I run 10-15 as well, but when goin toe to toe in a boat, potentially in traffic, I want it quick and dirty.