Thread: Dad needs new river fishing gun

Default Dad needs new river fishing gun

My dad needs a fishing gun but he feels that the handle of 44 mag Ruger/Taurus/S&W are to big.I found a great deal on a Taurus Judge 2.5 cylinder stainless. My only worry is that I called Taurus and the Judge is not rated for the 45 colt hot loaded Buffalo bore or Cor-Bon offerings. I think he should also carry bear spray and use the Judge if the Bear still persists at coming after him after being sprayed.If anyone has any better revolver offerings I would be open to any suggestions thank you.

So the handle of the other Taurus revolvers are bigger then the judge? The Judge I saw had the same handle as my Tracker 44mag.

It seemed smaller to both of us but we only handled the full size Taurus then the Judge at another store. I Don't know if the tracker is a smaller frame model then the one we looked at. I know that the Tracker and Judge both use the same aftermarket houge grips according to other internet sites.

If its grip size S&W with the round but grips is the way to go, they can go very small. I don't think very highly of the Judge for power to weight ratio and even though I like Taurus I would not touch their alloy guns with a ten foot pole as yet. A Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt would be a good pick in single action but in double the S&W has some very small grip possibilities. And S&W is still king of alloy revolvers so far but Ruger is making some inroads.

44mag, 45lc, or 41mag with good heavy hard cast hot loads is about as light of a round as I conceder adequate for browns, but a 357 or 10mm will do just fine on blacks or ticked off moose and better than nothing on a brown.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

+1 on the S&W recommendation. You can find a lot more grips for them than for Ruger or Taurus. I know Pachmayr makes some pretty small rubber grips for them, and Hogue and Eagle Grips make some compact wood grips. Smith's "service" grips are also pretty petite, but I can't stand the way they're shaped.

If the Ruger is a Super Redhawk or Alaskan, then there are a few choices out there for small grips, but not so many for the Redhawk. The SRH's older factory grips are a little smaller than the Hogues that new ones come with, and they fit the Alaskan too. Eagle Grips makes small wood grips that fit both guns. For the Redhawk, I think the factory wood grips are about as small as they get.

I think Buffalo Bore makes a standard pressure .45lc round that's pretty powerful, and supposedly safe to use in non-+p guns.

Bear spray is a good idea, too. I think carrying spray and a revolver is a pretty good combination when you can't hold a rifle.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

JMHO but I would take just about anything over the Judge.Its good for shooting a perp in the face if his head is through your car window with the .410 and the 45 colt will go out the correct end of the barrel but after that where it hits is anyones guess at least on the few I have shot.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilBlackGun View Post
    My dad needs a fishing gun but he feels that the handle of 44 mag Ruger/Taurus/S&W are to big.I found a great deal on a Taurus Judge 2.5 cylinder stainless. My only worry is that I called Taurus and the Judge is not rated for the 45 colt hot loaded Buffalo bore or Cor-Bon offerings. I think he should also carry bear spray and use the Judge if the Bear still persists at coming after him after being sprayed.If anyone has any better revolver offerings I would be open to any suggestions thank you.
    I would rather see my father carrying a squirt gun filled with tabasco sauce than betting his life on a Judge! As is typical with most things designed to do two jobs, it ends up doing neither terribly well

Ditto on the .44 Mag or .45 LC wheel guns that are built to handle Buffalo Bore or similar. And I agree on the S&W grip selection. Finally, I'd add that some of this is just getting used to 'something new', that all new things feel odd or uncomfortable at first. Consider how many SRH's with 7-1/2" barrels are successfully and comfortably being carried around in guide/chest holsters and you'll get the gist of what I'm saying. Maybe a "meet in the middle" approach is right ...buy the right amount of power, and then do what you can to maximize comfort and optimize that grip choice ...but don't compromise power to something lower than required for bear protection. I think a hot .44 Mag is the minimum ...Google the bear attack that happened in the hills above anchorage a couple of years ago and note how the guy, who sounds expert, unloaded all six .44 mag rounds into the bear and the bear still tried to keep on truckin'... And I know of another case down on the Kenai peninsula where a guy unloaded all six .44 mag rounds into a bear that mauled him, and the bear walked away ...off to die in the woods. The guy that got mauled survived, but nearly died 3 months later when a festering infection from a puncture wound into his brain got fired up. We saw 2 bears this last weekend ...one along the Parks when we were stopped for a snack and one on the trail in front of us (about 100 yards) on the Upper O'Malley trail above Anchorage on Sunday afternoon. Neither was a problem, but they're out there. (We just had pepper spray with us in both cases, although when stopping for a snack by the Parks I was within 3 feet of my 'emergency gear' satchel where my loaded S&W 500 was kept.)

Brian