Thread: Martin scent

Default Martin scent

Can I get a hint on what I can do to produce a good scent attractant in real cold weather. Ive tried glycerine, but really dont like how it performed. I was considering anise oil. Any ideas?

Glycerine isn't a lure. It has no odor. It is used sort of like paint thinner, to thin lures. Glycerine has a pretty low freezing point.
    Anise is a lure. It is used as an attractant. It doesn't have a real strong odor tho.
    Beaver castor works for some guys. You can buy lures also. Skunk based lures are popular someplaces. Fish oil is a strong smell, as is seal oil.
    Just about any sour meat or fish smell will attract marten. If you can still get some salmon leftovers, you might be able to make a useable scent. Sour beaver meat will work also. If you can't find anything for free, buy some lures.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Jim,
    I use Limburgar cheese, Works great and stinks to high heaven ,How people eat that stuff I'll never know.

Default I second martentrapper

a good skunk lure , with some beaver meat or salmon scraps works KILLER
    Last edited by akpredator; 10-29-2006 at 07:27. Reason: spelling
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

Default marten lure

Go to Minnesota trapline products and order some GUSTO. It is a good/loud skunk based lure. The smell lasts in the extreme cold temperatures here. I like making my own lure with loganberry oil, fish oil, and skunk. I use raspberry oil also. Works very well for me.

One of the best scent lures I've found is to use the glands from marten, mixed with glycerine. Of course you need to catch that first marten <grin>.

Default Martin scent II

I guess I didnt make myself clear in regards to glycerine. I used it, but not alone. Ive tried mixing it with factory lures with limited results. Thanks for all the information, it gives me somewhere to begin.

Talking Martin lure

I use Magnum martin by Northwest Predator Supply with good results. I can smell it from a good distance even at well below zero. It is smelling up the garage as we speak and i have it in two air tight containers. The wife loves it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Hillbilly

The smell is the best part about the off-season. When I get my lures in I just love it, it means it's almost time to lay some steel.

There is no secret martin bait or lure. Ask 10 different trappers and each will use different lures and bait and swear there's is the best! Just use something strong smelling and it'll probably work. However, some bait/scent's don't seem to work in some areas, experiment and see what works for you, just make sure it is strong.

BB1 nailed it!I have caught marten on everything from hot dogs to jelly donuts!If you find marten sign you can catch them on anything with a strong smell and or some kind of attractor like ribbon,pie pans,cd's,or wings.