Thread: Trailering from Haines to Anchorage

Default Trailering from Haines to Anchorage

Hey all -

I need to get a 22 foot boat from Juneau to Anchorage without missing too much of the fishing season. The Alaska ferry is completely booked from Juneau to Whittier until September. So I'm planning on flying down to Juneau and putting the truck and boat on the ferry to Haines. Now the question: Has anyone trailered a boat from Haines to Anchorage. I plan on taking 'er slow and putting in at least two maybe three days on the road. What are your thoughts? Any other options (shipping the boat is cost prohibitive because the boat would have to go back to Seattle and then up to Anchorage . . . go figure)?

Is almost 800 miles too far to trailer a boat? Maybe I'll just plan on bringining extra bearings?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone.

i trailered 28 ft boat from seattle to eagle river for a friend, not bad. historically the road is worse from haines jct. to ak border. give yourself plenty of time for that stretch. 22footer should not be a big deal.
    have proper tools for the bearing change ( learned that lesson the hard way on the alcan 30 years ago) and bearing buddies and freq. checking and greasing. of course check bearings and grease before you start.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Yup, agree with AK Nimrod. Pulled a 18' Lund up from N.D. in mid 80's without any problem...and the roads were a lot more "rustic" back then. Did it again in early 90's with 20' Lund behind a motor home - roads were a lot better and no problem. I think some bearing buddies and a fresh packing of trailer bearings would be a good idea as well as a spare trailer tire. Good luck and enjoy the drive - this should be getting into a nice time of the year to drive the AlCan and don't forget your copy of the most recent Milepost. No matter what you do the inside of the boat is probably going to get coated in dust.

A friend of mine did exactly the same thing your wanting to do a few weeks ago with a 26-ft. boat. He talks about how bad a lot of the road is. Very rough. And then there are the frost heaves. But he made it ok. I think it would be good to have spare tires, bearings, etc. For sure use transom tie-downs and strap down the bow. I'd also throw a strap over the stern. If the boat has outboards, you might want to strap them down, too.

Oh, and I think you have to have a permit to tow a boat through Canada. Be sure you find out what all paperwork you need for that. And I guess you need a passport now to enter Canada?

We bought our 22' Seasport from Juneau 3 years ago, and got it home to Homer the same way without any problem at all. The trailer has no breaks, and the truck was a 1 Ton w/ a 5.4 L motor. We just took it slow and enjoyed the ride.

would not hurt to check Canadian regs but i doubt the 22 footer is over 8-1/2 feet wide so i doubt there is any permit needed.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Thanks!

Hey everyone, thanks for the great advice. I think I'll buy my ticket to Juneau while Alaska Air is still having their May sale. If you happen to have any other general, long-distance trailering advice, feel free to send 'er my way.

Thanks again!

Talking

I just pulled my 2859 from the lower 48. Over 3000 miles. Boat and trailer grossed out over 12000 lbs and was 10 feet wide. The trip took 8 days, one day sitting out a snow storm south of Fort Nelson. At times my speed was down to 25 mph because of frost heaves and slick roads. No problems at all. Make sure if your boat is over 8'6" you have the over width permit before you leave Haines. The only place you can get them is the DOT office in Anchorage, it can be done over the phone and fax.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

I made that same drive two years ago.From Haines jct to Ak border is bad.One thing to keep an eye on while in the Yukon.You will be driving down the road and see a couple of small flags.That means slow the puck down and now.There will be a big pot hole in the road at ever flag.Once you learn to spot the flags its not bad.

Default Canadian Side

The section from Haines junction to Tok is usually pretty rough. They have spent a bunch of money trying to bring it up to snuff but the lastime I traveled it there were alot of frost heaves. As far as I know you will not reqiure any permits on the Canadian side if you are under 8.5 ft wide. Take your time and you should have a fine trip.

Chuck

I did exactly what you are doing a year ago with a 26' Hewescraft. Make sure that your hubs are greased and you have a solid spare before you leave. The frost heaving between haines junction and tok is quite bad - take it slow. The rest is pretty good. Make sure your bow eye is snugged up tight against the winch mast roller, and that your rear tiedowns are tight.

Default Very nice trip

that will be a very pleasent trip as long as you plan for mechanical issues, the trip ussually takes about 18 hrs and you don't need much more because of the trailer. take your camera since you will likely see plenty of wildlife coming up out of Haines, lots of bears and moose. slow down before the frost heave since hitting the brakes in mid air has little effect.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

I agree go SLOW from Haines jct to Tok. Take 2 spares.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/