Thread: POW June 6-12: Gear selection

Default POW June 6-12: Gear selection

First of all, thanks again fellas for all the information you've provided over the last few months. The wife and I are getting pretty excited about our trip, and it's coming up fast!

Details thus far:
    We're hunting the island June 6-12
    We're bring a pickup and a 12' Achilles with a 15HP outboard
    Our main focus is bears, but we'd like to spend some time fishing as well
    Staying in the FS cabin on the 12 Mile Arm

Question: If you were planning this trip (this time frame), what essential gear would you bring?

We'd like to crab / fish , etc., but we realize we're a little early for the salmon runs. What kind of fish, then, could we target (fresh or salt), and what kind of gear / methods do we need to prepare?

We're staying on the 12 Mile Arm and planning to hunt both that inlet as well as the Polk inlet using the boat. Is this a good plan, or should we spend our focus elsewhere?

Any good fishing around either of this inlets? Crabbing? Shrimping?

Really, I'm just looking for advice from people who have been there and done it, and who don't mind helping out a guy and his family who are looking to make some lasting memories.

Everything is appreciated!

thanks again,
    RW

Hey Ducky I'm in Craig on POW. You'll have a good chance for Dollys in the stream mouths both in 12 Mile and Polk. They are after the smolts so small spoons and spinners work well. Boat up as far as you can at high tide and drift down casting into the pools. Crabbing is decent in front of the cabin but can be better in Polk. Shrimping is a bit tougher as they like it deep and its a pain to pull those pots by hand. Don't be surprised if the snow keeps you out of Polk. Bring extra fuel jugs so you can get in lots of boating.
    Check Google earth for the hidden grass patches you can't see from the water.
    If you are interested in marine charts you can download them from:
    http://historicalcharts.noaa.gov/his...rical_zoom.asp
    They are not the most recent ones that are for sale but the price is right (free) and the rocks don't move much. You'll want chart numbers 17426 and 17436.
    I'm sure you know all about rain gear and such.
    A word of advice, don't use Island Wolf Furs in Craig. She has a bad habit of "losing" hides turned in to her. I personally know of 1/2 dozen that have gone missing from her shop.
    If you questions let me know.

Thanks for the info. Ibo. I'll be sure to ask anything that comes to mind.

RW

Specific question, but how far offshore / deep would we need to go for a decent shot at some halibut? Rockfish / bottom fish?

RW

ducky,

I've never crabbed in 12 mile, but I've slayed the crab in Polk, in front of the old forest service buildings.

Good luck.

Generally speaking halibut fishing is typically from 180 to 250 feet. Of course they can be caught at any depth but that is a good range to target. If you are looking at a chart the depths are in fathoms, 6 feet to a fathom.
    This time of year you'll do better get out of the bay and trying a litle more open water. Out in Kasaan Bay will be a better bet than in 12 Mile or Polk.
    It is good crabbin in front of the Forest Service facility in Polk. If you have the most recent Island map it is shown as the "Other Forest Service Facility" symbol.
    When cruising for bears be sure to check out Kina Cove, Coal Bay, and Smith Cove in Skowl Arm. These are not accesible from the POW road system. May not be getting the pressure as other spots.

Quote Originally Posted by ibohnt View Post
    Generally speaking halibut fishing is typically from 180 to 250 feet. Of course they can be caught at any depth but that is a good range to target. If you are looking at a chart the depths are in fathoms, 6 feet to a fathom.
    This time of year you'll do better get out of the bay and trying a litle more open water. Out in Kasaan Bay will be a better bet than in 12 Mile or Polk.
    It is good crabbin in front of the Forest Service facility in Polk. If you have the most recent Island map it is shown as the "Other Forest Service Facility" symbol.
    When cruising for bears be sure to check out Kina Cove, Coal Bay, and Smith Cove in Skowl Arm. These are not accesible from the POW road system. May not be getting the pressure as other spots.
    Thanks for all the info guys. I'm putting it all in my pre-trip journal and marking up my maps...

RW

Just got back to the hotel in Ketchikan from bear hunt on POW. We tagged three my second year up there hunting we got all in 6 hr period. Just noticed you where wanting to go to Polk on 12 ft boat with 15 hp engine that is a long long haul even with a bigger boat. I will forwarn you it will be very hard with any wind kicking up at all out on the bays to get there. With that set up you could hit 12mile,Karta maybe, Kina,Coal and the small bays around it and so forth. We had great weather while there. We saw tons of crab in harris bay and to the bay left of the hollis docks around the point from harris river entrance. Good luck the bear where really coming out when we left.

Just got back to the hotel in Ketchikan from bear hunt on POW. We tagged three my second year up there hunting we got all in 6 hr period. Just noticed you where wanting to go to Polk on 12 ft boat with 15 hp engine that is a long long haul even with a bigger boat. I will forwarn you it will be very hard with any wind kicking up at all out on the bays to get there. With that set up you could hit 12mile,Karta maybe, Kina,Coal and the small bays around it and so forth. We had great weather while there. We saw tons of crab in harris bay and to the bay left of the hollis docks around the point from harris river entrance. Good luck the bear where really coming out when we left.