Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: 350 Rem Mag ?????

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    108

    Default 350 Rem Mag ?????

    I would like opinions on the 350 Rem Mag. I am debating getting one. Reason......Just because. I would like to hear from those of you that have them or have used them in the past. What is your take on it?? PLEASE, no 338 is better. 375 is better, 45/70 etc etc. Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grousehunter View Post
    I would like opinions on the 350 Rem Mag. I am debating getting one. Reason......Just because. I would like to hear from those of you that have them or have used them in the past. What is your take on it?? PLEASE, no 338 is better. 375 is better, 45/70 etc etc. Thanks.
    Hard hitting, good accuracy, recoil can be noticeable. I know it is in a Rem Mod 7, had one for a short time and only developed loads for it before I sold it. I use a 358Win in a Ruger Hawkeye now and I like it better, is more accurate than my 350 mag was but that could be because of the platform it was on.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    144

    Default

    I have been developing a load for it to take out in a couple weeks. I love this gun, only downside I have is my super short magazine limiting me to no bigger than 2.800 overall length. I have a good load worked up for Nosler 225 partitions (2600fps) and Hornady 250's (2500fps). I can only load Barnes 200's, not the 225's due to the length and the 200's did not group as well as the others.

    When I get back on June 1's Ill post on the actual performance but everyone I have listened to says it's a winner, just never got popular.

  4. #4
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    I got a stainless Model 70 featherweight that I have chambered in 350 rem. mag. 23" pac-nor barrel. Nice and light and it balances great. Reloading is mandatory for this cartridge as factory ammo is extremely limited and expensive. I'm hoping to take a black bear with it real soon.

  5. #5

    Default

    I have a Ruger MarkII All-Weather in .350 Remington Magnum. I haven't punched anything but paper but I have a 225gr. TSX load that clocks 2700fps+ and shoots right around an inch.

    That load in my gun should handle just about anything this continent has to offer if I do my part...

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    PA.
    Posts
    152

    Default I am a 350 mag man!

    Quote Originally Posted by grousehunter View Post
    I would like opinions on the 350 Rem Mag. I am debating getting one. Reason......Just because. I would like to hear from those of you that have them or have used them in the past. What is your take on it?? PLEASE, no 338 is better. 375 is better, 45/70 etc etc. Thanks.
    I have owned a Remington custom KS (Kevlar) .350 rem. mag for years. I shoot Swift A-frames exclusively out of it. I have taken game in Africa, and here in the USA, mostly back home in Colorado. My rifle is super lightweight and has a 20-inch barrel. The stock is factory camo, and I have a 1 to 6 power Leupold with super light one-piece rings on it. It comes with and still has iron sights on it as well. The trigger from this Remington custom shop rifle is one of the best I have ever owned, the best being my Remington custom shop model 40X in .220 swift that I used for prairie dogs, now that had a trigger!

    This .350 mag is very accurate and hits hard! I have been nothing less than happy with its performance in the field as well as at the range. I hear some complain about recoil, which of course is subjective, but for a guy like me who has owned many truly big bore rifles and hand cannons I find it not much in that area. If you do not hand load you can great cartridges custom loaded from Superior ammunition. The Remington factory loads will suffice for deer, etc. but I hunted bear and elk, along with African game, thus my preference for the Swift A-frames.

    I had considered carrying it without the scope in Alaska for Protection, but I personally do not trust the push feed action for life and death scenarios, and I do not need others views on this I am familiar with the arguments.

    The .350 Rem. Mag is a great round that never got its due to tradition in the shooting fields being a major factor of caliber acceptance. This is why you cannot find many 9.3X62 rifles either. I strongly recommend the 350, it is a rock solid choice for anything on the this side of world for hunting purposes, for self defense for big bears it is for expert shooters to atone for the lighter weight bullets. Good shots always do better with any caliber, this is a given when weighing such choices. A miss with a .600 Nitro is lesser than a hit with a .22!

    See the attached photo of me and my sweet .350 Remington Mag!
    Last edited by Proud American; 08-25-2009 at 11:46.

  7. #7
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    I got one of the Ruger allweathers, as I'd always wanted to try a 350 rem mag. Great gun for the $. The first trip to the range I hadn't gotten my dies and brass so I got the only factory fodder was some Remington 200 gr loads. That first trip was disapointing, groups were more like patterns, ~3" for 3 shots.

    But, my dies came in and I had some empty brass. So I loaded up some Sierra 225's, seated them to 2.875" COL (works out to 0.025" off the lands as I recall) and tried charges of 57, 58 and 59 gr of varget, lit off with Fed 210's.

    Here was my first handload, the 57 gr load.



    The 58 gr load was a bit over 1", and here was the 59 gr load.



    I haven't had a chance to chrono the load but expect that the 59 gr charge should be around 2700 fps. It shoots sub moa day in, day out.

    Thats my idea of load work, find a working load first time out.

    I'd like the try the 225 tsx as it should be a superlative game getter. Enough bullet for any AK animal, and at 2700 fps, an honest 300 yd load.

    Considering the 30-06 made its name in the game fields with a 180 gr @ 2700 fps, the 350 rem mag gives an honest 25% increase in power, with tollerable recoil, in a compact package.

  8. #8

    Default 350 Rem Mag/ 35 Whelen

    I have used both, the 350 Rem Mag on pig, black bear and deer, the Whelen on deer, pig, black bear and moose. I could never tell any difference in terminal performance. I would prefer the 35 Whelen being unbelted and easier to obtain or form cases. Just my preference.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I got one of the Ruger allweathers, as I'd always wanted to try a 350 rem mag. Great gun for the $. The first trip to the range I hadn't gotten my dies and brass so I got the only factory fodder was some Remington 200 gr loads. That first trip was disapointing, groups were more like patterns, ~3" for 3 shots.

    But, my dies came in and I had some empty brass. So I loaded up some Sierra 225's, seated them to 2.875" COL (works out to 0.025" off the lands as I recall) and tried charges of 57, 58 and 59 gr of varget, lit off with Fed 210's.

    Here was my first handload, the 57 gr load.



    The 58 gr load was a bit over 1", and here was the 59 gr load.



    I haven't had a chance to chrono the load but expect that the 59 gr charge should be around 2700 fps. It shoots sub moa day in, day out.

    Thats my idea of load work, find a working load first time out.

    I'd like the try the 225 tsx as it should be a superlative game getter. Enough bullet for any AK animal, and at 2700 fps, an honest 300 yd load.

    Considering the 30-06 made its name in the game fields with a 180 gr @ 2700 fps, the 350 rem mag gives an honest 25% increase in power, with tollerable recoil, in a compact package.
    Nice when a plan comes together isn't it?

    Very good groups.

    My current 225gr. TSX load uses Benchmark...I plan on trying some TAC as it yields slightly better velocity if the accuracy isn't there though I will return to the Benchmark.

    You said you would like to try some of the TSX...if you don't have the current Barnes manual and are looking for data please shoot me a PM and I will help you out.

  10. #10
    Member bigswede358's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St. Maries, Idaho
    Posts
    518

    Default Go BUY one today!!!

    The 350 mag is an awesome caliber, one of my all time favorites. Mine is a Remington 673 topped with a Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5x20
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    The 350 mag is an awesome caliber, one of my all time favorites. Mine is a Remington 673 topped with a Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5x20
    What are your overall impressions of the 673? I have thought about one a couple of different times but haven't pulled the trigger.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eureka MT
    Posts
    3,048

    Default

    I like the 350rem a lot. Mine is a Rem 700 SA 24". I shoot the sierra 225BT Spt and normal groups run from 5/8" to 3/4" At 100yds. I think the factory is handicapping this round with it's choice of a 200gr bullet. A 225gr at about 2700 should be good enough for anything in Ak.

  13. #13
    Member bigswede358's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St. Maries, Idaho
    Posts
    518

    Default Very Nice

    Hey theONE73,
    I am very impressed with the 673, although I might be biased since I am a Remington man. The laminate stock seems to do well in snow and rain so far, however I found a good deal on a synthetic takeoff from a model Seven, so it now wears that. And the sight rib as far as I know is only for aesthetics, but I still like it. Its only shortfall is a short magazine like its ancestors, the 600 and 660. Bullets must be seated at 2.800. I shoot speer 220 flat nose, the do really well, although I haven't shot anything that could eat me.350 mag 115.jpg
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    Hey theONE73,
    I am very impressed with the 673, although I might be biased since I am a Remington man. The laminate stock seems to do well in snow and rain so far, however I found a good deal on a synthetic takeoff from a model Seven, so it now wears that. And the sight rib as far as I know is only for aesthetics, but I still like it. Its only shortfall is a short magazine like its ancestors, the 600 and 660. Bullets must be seated at 2.800. I shoot speer 220 flat nose, the do really well, although I haven't shot anything that could eat me.350 mag 115.jpg
    nice looking rifle and thanks for the reply...

    The short box would be an issue for me as I live in the condor range of CA and MUST use non lead ammo. The 2.800 OAL would make loading anything but the 200gr. TSX a problem.
    The info was useful nonetheless though.

  15. #15
    Member aknewbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ft. Richardson
    Posts
    175

    Default

    There was a post on 24hr campfire by a guy testing various 35 cal bullets shooting wet newspaper. I cant remember if it was a 350 rem mag or 35 whelen, (basically identical ballistics anyways) but he was testing the 250gr hornady RN, 225 gr TSX, and one other. The results were pretty impressive, so I tried it with my own 35 whelen, and I have been sold on the 35 cal since. I tried to find the thread, but I have pretty limited time on the internet so dice. If you have a chance look it up, it was pretty interesting.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Thanks for the info guys! Where are you getting your loading data? It seems there is limited info on reloading the 350.

  17. #17
    Member aknewbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ft. Richardson
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Check out 35cal.com -there is some good stuff on there.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Thanks for the input and the link!

  19. #19
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kachemak Bay Alaska
    Posts
    4,218

    Default

    For my 350 Rem Mag, I bought a Ruger M77MKII all-weather instead of a short action Remington because the mag box is a touch longer and it allows me to load to a slightly longer COL.

    I rebedded mine, re-did the muzzle crown, polished the feed ramp and smoothed up the action. Then I installed back-up iron sights and coated it with grey ceramic high heat paint.

    My hot loads using RL-15 toss a 225 grain Kodiak bonded at 2,800 fps and it shoots about a 0.75 inch group at 100 yards. I have loaded 200 grain bullets to 3,000 fps and they shoot a touch over an inch at 100 yards.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •