Thread: River anchoring

Default River anchoring

2009 regs

"From ADF&G markers at the mouth of Crooked Creek downstream to ADF&G markers near the cutbank, fishing from an anchored boat is prohibited January 1–June 30.
    • “Anchoring” means using an anchor or any device other than oars or paddles to slow or stop a boat’s downstream drift."

So, can I stop in a shallow spot and hold my 1 man cat with my feet or a short tether and fish from it????

I guess I better go to Rasberry and talk to the fish cops.

This no anchoring is in the People Hole Area on the Kasilof. That area had become a problem with folks anchoring in front of people trying to fish from the shore which in turn led to conflicts. The People Hole is by far the most popular spot for bank anglers and the BOF wanted to make sure the folks without a boat had a place to fish at. So, the Board of Fish thought to try and solve the conflict by adopting this regulation. The BOF also talked about just closing this area to fishing from a boat but this was a much better compromise in my opinion as it allows everyone to work this water.

Makes sense. I could see boat anglers and shore fishermen firing sinkers back and forth fighting for the area.
    I actually had a guide have his guests try and hit myself and friends when we hauled up on an island in the middle Kenai last fall. He said we were in his area and to leave. Yeah.......OK, NOT!!!!!
    We continued on with our fishing and ignored him until we saw him later in the day as he was running back to the ramp. At that time we pointed him out to the cute CO checking our licenses.
    She raced after him and told him to call her as she need to have a chat with him.
    Even if she had not come along I was going to report the incident, but it's better when the guy see's you send the law after him.

Once you have a fish on, you can row to one side of the river, park your boat, and land your fish. There has been some conversation as to whether you can anchor your boat while netting a fish, and I have heard both sides of the argument. I did hear of a fish cop writing several tickets a couple years ago to people that anchored along the side to net their fish, which I thought was rediculous, but something to remember. I usually just pull my boat up onto the rocks to land a fish, just to be safe.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

To me it seems to be a matter of courtesy to other anglers....don't anchor where people are fishing from the bank.....or where people are trying to drift through. I like the idea of pulling off to the side but be careful not to damage banks and watch for posted areas that are closed to activity within 10' of the bank.

Default People hole Kasilof River

I am suprised that they even let boats fish through the people hole any more. It seems that section of river should be bank fishing only like some of the areas as the Kenai river. Its the only place on the river that has public access.

Default last years rulz

were the regs the same last year? We pulled out after cohoe - at a private take out somewhere down in the tidal water. We stopped and anchored about 200 yards before the takeout. There was another guided boat doing the same thing. The water was really shallow and outgoing tide. The other boat caught and landed one - the water was only maybe 14 inches deep.

Yes, the regs were the same last year. The no anchoring reg on the Kasilof is only in the People Hole Area which is by the confluence of Crooked Creek. You are allowed to anchor and fish from a boat on the Kasilof elsewhere if you so desire. Just remember your fellow angler and to go with the flow so to speak.

i have found that anchoring seems to decrease the chance of hits though, not that i catch that many kings, but atleast during the times of lowest fish concentration, watch the boats and see whose hitting fish...... i dont anchor

Default 1 man cat

The wife and I will be in 1 man cats - it may be very interesting to hook and land a king in our small boats.

Thanks for the information guys! I'll let you know how it goes.

Nothing like rowing a cat while fighting a King Salmon Hold the rod with one hand and row with the other hand, just make sure you are spinning in the opposite direction the fish is spinning or is it go in the same direction the fish is spinning? I always forget.....

Or you could tighten down your drag and have the King pull you up river, then when he tires out and you land him you're all set for another drift... just make sure he's pulling you up river... that's the key...

Default gointa

I am durn sure gointa find out.....I ain't quite sure what will happen....I suspect that I will get pulled somewhere and run into a snag or a rock and pop a hole in my boat and then the King will cracker me off!

Sounds like a good time at any rate.

NAH, It'll probably haul you 1/2 way across the Inlet, break you off and
    Flip you the Fin as you get carried out to sea!!!!!

Default backtrolling cat

Let's just say that this re-defines the term "mult-tasking"....it can be done, but it takes the fun out of it - - still not sure what happens IF you were to hook a fish - you would very surely either lose your pole or ground your boat.

The Kasilof was slow at the start from Tustemena and rocky in the middle - lots of shallow rocks. The weather was awesome. Took us about 8 hours to float from Tuste to Coho yesterday.

Someone should shoot the st. bernard on the shore at about the 1/2 way point...if he'd a got any closer to my boat I would have got it done yesterday.