Thread: Black Bear Hunting Suggestions?

Default Black Bear Hunting Suggestions?

I know this is early, and maybe a bit presumptuous, but does anyone have any suggestions about where one might be able to hunt a black bear from the road system in the interior or on the Kenai? The deal is that I spent about 3 weeks in Alaska in 2006 on a DIY caribou hunt/business trip/vacation. My buddy and I traveled as far south from Anchorage as Soldotna and as far north as just past Livengood (we were headed to Manley Hot Springs but got worried about the rental car), and then back down the Richardson Hwy.

That all said I’ve now talked my wife into a week’s vacation this upcoming Labor Day week. We will start in Anchorage then a day down on the Kenai, then north to Fairbanks and then back to Anchorage, perhaps via Tok. We are going to try a bit of fishing, my wife loves to fish, and I was planning on bringing my 870 20 ga. grouse gun. A lot of ground to cover, but if we stopped for a bit I’ve also considered bringing my new .308 Kimber Montana should a chance at blackie present itself. Now the question is – where is a place that a chance encounter might have the highest odds? Not concerned with the biggest bear on the planet, but I’ll not shoot any little ones either. And I would mind hiking off the road a bit if required. Any thoughts or suggests would be appreciated – also regarding any good roadside fishing spots.

Thanks much – my trip is still almost 4 months away, but the airplane tickets are in the bag and I’m already getting excited to be back in “the great land”.

Your best bet for road hunting black bears is the Seward Highway.

Default agree with

bronco. Somewhere along the Seward would be best. They will be up high eating berries that time of the year. Finding one in the interior would be luck at best. Just not many places that are open enough to spot.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

seward hwy or richardson towards Valdez... edit...( whoops labor day in sept...)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Bring your best set of Bino's and stop frequently to glass the upper mountain sides along the seward hwy. When you spot one that looks good you just plan a stalk and go up there after it. It is way easier to type it than actually do it but the premise is easy. I much prefer to hunt blackies like dall sheep. I do glass from the bottom if I have the chance but I pretty much just hike up and set up an alpine camp then walk the high ridges looking for bears below me. That is my favorite type of hunting!

LuJon,

Thanks for the information. I saw them the last time I was there, and there are a lot of alder/willow thicket and brown bears between the road and the high country. I don't know if the wife can handle it. However, I may take the rifle anyway, and at the very least, I'll be plotting and notetaking for my "next" trip. And, Good Lord willing, there will be a next, and a next, and a next, etc. My first/last trip was one that, even considering all I'd dreamed - and some of the small difficulties we faced, exceeded my expectations by a huge margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlander View Post
    "Now the question is – where is a place that a chance encounter might have the highest odds? Not concerned with the biggest bear on the planet”.
    There are bears ever where in the state! But your highest odds are The Alaska Zoo, 4731 O'Malley Road, Anchorage, AK 99507.

alaskazoo.org