Thread: Flyfishing for Kings?

Default Flyfishing for Kings?

I moved up from Ohio a couple months ago to Anchorage. I've flyfished in various parts of Alaska on previous trips for pinks and silvers, but never for kings. From research the kings on the lower Kenai penninsula seem to run first, but I'm not sure where to start. A look through the fishing regs made things clear as mud so that wasn't much help either. My questions are:

1. What are some good bodies of water to flyfish for kings? Not just what has kings, but what water is conducive to flyfishing?

2. Which of these am I most likely to avoid combat fishing? I don't mind smaller or less fish or some walking to get away from the crowds.

3. I've caught kings with my 8 weight back in New York while going to school, but they were 15-25lbs. What size kings should I expect and will the 8 weight cut it?

Thanks,

Brett

Bret, I would recomend Troy Leatherman's book: Top Water. He is one of the editor's for Fish Alaska magazine. His book is excellent and talks specifically about where, when, how, what, to use for all species of Alaska's major game fish. It is an excellent source/read.
    In a nut shell, the Kenai is generally too big/deep/busy to slyfish for kings. You have a much better chance out in the valley rivers. They can be downright busy (crowded) too. Access to a boat or take a short flight accross the inlet to some of the less crowded rivers. Again, check out this book for more precise info. Cheers!

Default Kings

Check your PM

Any thoughts on the 8 weight or what size fish to exect?

Default 8 or 10 wt.

I use an 8 wt., but will be trying a 10 this year to see if I like it. I've caught fish from 18 to 28 lbs. on my 8, but have caught up to 34 lbs. on my baitcaster and some fish can reach the 50 lb. range. A friend has used his 8 to catch kings up to 40 lbs. Not sure if I want to tangle one that size on my 8 even though its possible.

It depends on the action of your 8wt. If it is a nice fast action 8wt with a good backbone, you should do OK with it. I use both an 8wt and a 10wt, I always felt a little more comfortable with the 10wt. But I have still broken that on a king before!

As far as where to fish, most king fishing that is road accessible is going to be busy. Most are also weekend only fisheries. Kasilof is open to fishing all week but has limitation on when you can keep wild vs hatchery fish. My suggestion would be to park at the crooked creek campground and walk downstream a short distance. There will be others around, but you might have a little elbow room.

Go with the 10 wgt. if you can afford it. That way you can use it on Ling cod as well.

Why not a salmon shark while I'm at it! Thanks for the info. I think I may take a poke at deep creek or the ninilchik until the kings arrive on the little su.

Brett