Thread: Caribou on the slope in July?

Default Caribou on the slope in July?

I'm headed up the slope around the second week of July on a caribou hunt. If anybody has been up there that time of the year, can you please give me some insight as to what we will be up agianst. Does anybody know how far down the bou are by then, or how far north I'll have to travel to get a good shot at some? Anything you might be able to pass on would be greatly appreciatted, thanks.

Most of the caribou will be on the coast. I've been out there several times over the years in early to late July and during the first few days you can catch some headed north, and if we get a cold spell, there might be some headed south a little earlier.

Bring a raft or something to get east of the Sag. If a heat wave is coming through, you might find some on the ice on the bluffs. The main herds will be at or in the ocean around the time you will be here.

Be ready for bugs!

Default Bugs! Bugs! Bugs!

and more Bugs, there is no way in hell Id hunt the slope on July

Lots and lots and lots of bugs. Take a headnet, gloves, long sleeves and be prepared to be driven nuts.

July 4th and snowing, caribou turned to head south out of Prudhoe and I whacked this bull around midnight about 2 miles south of the closed sign...

July 24th, no bugs, took an inflatable accross the river to sneak in on a herd of several hundred heading down the river. I picked this guy over a couple larger bulls because of the cool drop tine...

July 25th, my first archery kill. Taken about 25 miles south of town between the big spur roads to the Sag...

July 24th and 25th years ago seemed to be the time the bulls would be headed south a little more commonly. There's always been about a 2 week gap in between those dates where they just aren't around the road much. If you've got some flexibility, I'd move your dates to the opening week, or to the 24th+ of July.

Quite honostly on all of these hunts, I didn't have bugs when I was on the caribou. I'd be prepared for them though. The Shannon Bug Tamer seems to work the best of anything I've tried up here. Also be prepared for some serious shedding on these buggers. Pull the skin off according to the wind so you don't get gusts of hair blowing all over the meat.

Thank you for the replies, sounds like I should just stick with my Oct/Nov hunt up there. I was there last Nov but missed a bou at 50 yards with my bow. I could blame it on the wind, but I missed judged him. I'll let you know how it goes.