Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Havelon Knives in Anchorage

Question Havelon Knives in Anchorage

Does anyone know where I can buy Havelon knives locally? I was going to order one off of their website, but they want $24 to ship a $39 knife. I'd like to have one for my upcoming bear hunt, but I'm too cheap to pay that much for shipping.

I dont know of a place locally. I bought mine online and paid the premium shipping. I decided to order two of them so I didnt feel as bad

BTW, anyone have experience with using the Havalons for larger critters like a bear or goat? I've skinned alot of furbearers with mine, but the blades are very prone to snapping with any amount of twisting...something to keep in mind for safety reasons in the backcountry. Also you'll probably need your leatherman to remove the old blades. They are great knifes but I was hesitant to use mine bear hunting based on my experiences skinning coyotes...

Barneys has then on the counter, in a case, to the left.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Smile Barney's

Barney's is selling them.

Alaska Custom Firearms has them as well.

E-bay too, but Barneys is best deal and local.

been skinnin' all my bears with number 60 blades and loved it!! you shouldn't need to twist these blades much, unless your having trouble with knuckles or something. you can take the blades off with your fingers, havn't cut myself yet. or just snap them off on the something hard and they'll pop off all by themselves.
    #60 blades for skinning i love and #23 is what i use for my eye/ear/toe work.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Interesting that you guys are using them for your main skinning knife. My thought was that I would use my Cutco (new to me) for most of the skinning, then use the havalon for the feet, head, etc. I suppose I'll play with it and see what I like best.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Interesting that you guys are using them for your main skinning knife. My thought was that I would use my Cutco (new to me) for most of the skinning, then use the havalon for the feet, head, etc. I suppose I'll play with it and see what I like best.
    Gotta get a bear on the ground first, Brian!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thanks for the feedback Jake. I've snapped a couple blades and one actually flung back and stuck in my palm..ouch. Yea, I was skinning out toes.....

Yep, picked up my havalon at barney's along with a dozen blades 2 months ago. Still waiting to christen it on a bear. Perhaps in the next two weeks though.

Default amen

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Amen. Cutco for opening them up. Use it on everything and stays sharp FOREVER. Went through 6 caribou 8 moose, 4 musk ox before I sent it in to be sharpened.

I use the Havalon for the head and turning paws on the big game. I use it as the primary knife for any of the critters from the trapline. ONe thing, if you get the 66XT blades, they touch up GREAT w/ a steel. Back to sharp super quick. Usually go through 15-20 lynx before I go to a new blade.

If you call Havalon, they'll send the knife USPS and not rape you on the charge, atleast they didn't to me out to Nome.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Default me too

I just called them and they shipped it usps. That was about a year ago. Also, been cleaning all my game with it since I bought it like jake said. Brownies, Blackies, Moose, Goat, Furbearers. No complaints. Plus its fairly light so if you do mostly backpacking hunts like I do, take a havalon and a couple of extra blades and you can do more skinning than you'd ever care to pack.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Gotta get a bear on the ground first, Brian!
    Yeah, yeah, yeah....details.

It was nice to meet you Brian. I'm sure you won't have any complaints with the knife.

Brett

Out of curiosity, what is the going rate at Barney's for one with a case and 12 blades. As I mentioned when I got mine they had the best deal going, but actual numbers seem to have departed.

Default Havalon knifes

We also sell the Havalon knife here in wasilla with 12 blades for 50.00 and have extra blades, last fall i skinned a life size grizz, caped and cut up a caribou, and cut up a moose and caped it out life size for cabelas with three blades! without resharpening any of them! Northland Guns 357-2414

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is the going rate at Barney's for one with a case and 12 blades. As I mentioned when I got mine they had the best deal going, but actual numbers seem to have departed.
    Knife handle and your choice of a 12 pack of 22s or 60s blades for $49 + case at $5 = $54

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Unalakleet yooper View Post
    Alaska Custom Firearms has them as well.
    I called them today and they said they do not carry Havalon. Barney's is out of the orange at the moment. Not sure if anyone in town sells them or not, but I'm looking for one.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    I called them today and they said they do not carry Havalon. Barney's is out of the orange at the moment. Not sure if anyone in town sells them or not, but I'm looking for one.
    I figured by now you would just save the weight and start leaving the skinning knife and game bags at home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast