Thread: "Hostel" sleeping sac

Default "Hostel" sleeping sac

OK, I find myself sleeping in nasty dirty frequently cold (air conditioned tents w/ no controls) places extremely frequently as of late. I am currently hauling a poly blanket and it is WAY too bulky. I really want a good shoulder/neck length (I am 6'5") hoodless down bag. I am thinking somewhere in the 45* to 55* rating. I travel for up to 3 weeks at a time w/ nothing but a large day pack. I am looking for something that packs EXTREMELY SMALL. Prefer 4"x9" packed or less. It is going to get beat around so I don't want to spend a fortune.

I am researching myself but definitely open to any suggestions!

Default Recommend Sleep Sack/Cocoon

Lujon:

I would highly recommend the Design Salt cocoons--they are quite big and should fit your size--I have used the silk one for over 12 years--it prolongs the sleeping bag life and can be used as a barrier to scuzzy mattresses/sleeping spots--some folks say that in hot temps that is all they use-supposed to add about 4-8 degrees in warmth. I know that is does make a sleeping bag feel larger because you can slide around inside the bag a lot easier due to the silk liner. The Design Salt one is only around 5 oz. so it goes on all my hunting trips.
    Have used mine in Iraq last deployment and have it again this time. Sea to Summit makes a real nice one as well made out of Thermolite--think it weighs about 8 oz.--but it might actually be better than the Design Salt one--check out the online reviews of both on REI.com.

Hope this helps a bit.

Not exactly what you are looking for, but worth looking at.
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___68549

They pack a little smaller than they say. I have the 20* model, & it's actually good for about 35* for me, so the 30* model might work great for you. I reLLY LIKE THE ZIPPERED VENT AT THE FEET(excuse the caps). Makes it easy to keep cool.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

light wieght, packable, good for dirty conditions....

looks JUST right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXn6FFzY2Ts
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Well Vince sadly I can't view youtube on this connection so that one will be lost on me

I did make a decision though I ordered a Marmot Trestle Trails uninsulated bag. It is a little more than a pound and packs about the size of a Nalgene bottle. It is constructed of a DWR coated nylon outer laminated to a dryclime inner that is reported to do a great job of wicking out moisture and be surprisingly comfortable in a variety of temperatures from warm to quite cool. It also has a full zip that allows you to open it flat to use as a blanket. It has been very challenging to get a good report on exactly how small this bag will pack but I found it on sale for under $60 so it made the "cheap" requirement! I was also looking at the REI Travel Down +45 bag but my webfilter wont load the customer reviews to help sway me toward it. I figure it cost more and would be harder to care for than the marmot anyway.

There was a gear review on the original Trails bag on back packer gear test. I believe they have done away with the "surf board" stripe now and mine should be solid grey. The weight and other specs appear to be the same.
    http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...Karin%20Claus/