Thread: Wheelers and bear stands

Default Wheelers and bear stands

Just curious on how far I should park my wheeler away from my stand, I think I may have been parking too close. I am in the Interior and the woods are thick. The bears seem to come from the opposite direction as the trail though. Any thoughts would help, thanks.

Naturally park as far away as possible, but...

How much pressure is in your area? I ask cuz where we hunt its not big. 3 years ago, my dad drove his machine right to the bait and the bears there stayed only about 20 yards away.

I dont recommend this but I was amazed when I seen it.He didnt shoot a bear so he just turned around and the bears never left.

Bears are funny animals.

Default 100 yards

A couple years ago I used to park about 100 yards maybe a little less and I had bears all the time. I was riding in and parking on the edge of an open area (clear cut) so the bears came from the other direction.
    This year, different area and I park 1/4 mile away, only one hit so far but it is early (at least I hope )

A couple of hundred yards out of sight from your bait station should be far enough, that's how far I use to park mine when I baited down by the Chatanika. Bears didn't care as they had their mind on other things.

I Know a guy that parks his 30 yards from his stand. He has the bears patterned, and they never come from that direction. He has multiple bears on his stand every year. In other words, it depends on the situation.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Idealy when i can. drive in bang the barrel and have buddy drive it away. and take turns dropping each other off. bears think you fed and left as the norm.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here