Thread: Pike in AK?

Default Pike in AK?

I am going to be down at the Gulkana over the second week of July. I was thinking I might want to do some pike fishing while I am down there. I have never fished lake Louise. Are there any pike in there? Anywhere else within a couple hours of the Gulkana that I could find pike? Thanks.

There are (hopefully) no pike in Lake Louise or anywhere near it. If you like to fish predators, lakers can be fun.

The closest lakes with pike to the Gulkana are George, Healy, and Volkmare off the Tanana from Delta Junction. Other than that you can give lakers a try like dirtofak said, if so Paxson, Summit, and Tangle Lakes are all close to Gulkana and have a decent population of lakers as well as Lake Louise/Susitna, and Tyone which are a little further down the road.

Do you have your own boat or fishing from shore?

Default No boat

We won't be traveling with a boat since we are packing ATV's. We were primarily looking for shore fishing. Is it reasonable to fish Lakers from shore? I fished them back in Michigan, but that was pier fishing in Lake Michigan, a different beast I am sure.

Default Come North for really Big Pike!

Kotz is the spot for really big pike. We tag them hard after the water clears in July. 35 -40+ inches are the norm!

Walt
    www.northwestalaska.com

Quote Originally Posted by smallmonzter View Post
    We won't be traveling with a boat since we are packing ATV's. We were primarily looking for shore fishing. Is it reasonable to fish Lakers from shore? I fished them back in Michigan, but that was pier fishing in Lake Michigan, a different beast I am sure.
    You can fish lakers from the shoreline, they seem to hit best early morning and evening timeframe. Sometimes you can use topwater lures that imitate a mouse since voles and such will actually swim across lakes at times and the lakers are used to seeing that and eating them. It is a lot of fun to catch them on top water lures. Another less intensive way is just setting a rod out with some sort of fish or meat product on the hook and waiting for them to take it. Doing that will also get you some burbot as all those lakes have them as well as lakers.

For shore fishing it is hard to beat Tangles or Paxson lakes. Both have nice camp grounds and decent fishing right there at the camp grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Another less intensive way is just setting a rod out with some sort of fish or meat product on the hook and waiting for them to take it. Doing that will also get you some burbot as all those lakes have them as well as lakers.

For shore fishing it is hard to beat Tangles or Paxson lakes. Both have nice camp grounds and decent fishing right there at the camp grounds.

Summit and Paxson lakes have been closed to bait fishing from April to November for a few years now - Makes it tough to catch Burbot and slows down the Lake Trout catch. Not sure about the regulations in the other lakes.