Thread: steel buildings?

Default steel buildings?

I'm purchasing a new house but need additional .. toy "storage area" I was thinking of 20x40 steel building.. any input on these.. I was told it has 100lbs /ft snow rating does anyone have experience with these? what cost am I looking at and foundation?

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

An actual 100# snow load in your area will work fine. Just double check and make sure that it's engineer stamped for that.

My experience with all steel buildings has been so-so. My store is currently housed in an all steel building. The big mistake was the roof. A purlin system with no ventilation equals a hot roof. That equals HUGE amounts of ice off my eaves. At the end of this summer I will be shelling out some big $$ to fix the problem that I knew would probably happened but was assured by the steel company that it would not.

If you are not heating it, that is no big deal. In general a small building like you are talking can be built with wood stick frame and trusses cheaper than a metal building and have better insulation qualities.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

i just got an call saying I can get the 20x40 with 1 end for 7500 ? is that a good deal.. plus foundation of course.. so im looking at 10,000 total and supposedly this is shipped "to my door"

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Do you have a link for this? I am kicking around different options for the same purpose. I am thinking 30x40 or so in my case. I would like to be able to put the boat and everything inside and actually use my garage to do something "un-Alaskan" like house my vehicles!

Sounds fair. Check into that shipping quote. A semi-load to Glenallen is going to be $750 alone from Anchorage..minimum.. Without knowing the manufacturer I can't tell how fair it really is.

I work in an engineering office, and have done several steel building designs here in the interior. Be sure of your snow load before ordering. Valdez (160psf) is less than Whittier (300psf ground load) per AISC7-05 & IBC. The area around Fairbanks is 50psf roof load, 60psf ground load. Military land is 75psf ground load (interior facilities).

Also confirm the seismic coefficients for bracing requirements.

The 7k to your door is to the dock in Anchorage. NOT to your door. I priced one for my yard (20x30) and it was 10k without foundation or transport from the dock North. I quizzed the firm that was selling the package about it. For the foundation I would have needed, I was looking at 2k for site prep & formwork, another 1k for the concrete, rebar & placement. I can get a truck to my yard, so that was included in the cost instead of hand mixing.

All of the manufacturers out there are a little different. With the prices the way they are and shipping issues, I have decided to go to the dual conex, stick built truss design. Much easier and save over 5k!

Good luck on your project.

Check this site out Steel buildings Dont buy from the online ads you see around the net, you get what you pay for. Chuck Morris, who owns Arctic Fox steel Buildings, will work with you for whatever you need in a building. He might even have a couple stock buildings in the yard.
    And for the love of Pete, dont buy a Miracle Truss building!

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    i just got an call saying I can get the 20x40 with 1 end for 7500 ? is that a good deal.. plus foundation of course.. so im looking at 10,000 total and supposedly this is shipped "to my door"
    ret, be careful with some of those steel building kit companies.

A friend bought one of those free standing, bolt together metal building arch kits. It was a hundred feet long (don't remember how wide though). The problem was the bolt holes for some sections of arch were punched incorrectly. It wasn't enough at first to notice it as the building went up, but as each section went up, with some of the holes up to 1-1.5" off, really became obvious and a problem.

He'd bought the building from some ad, bought it during the winter to get the good deal, it sat a year after delivery before he could get the slab in and get around to assembly, and by that time, the company was long out of business. The building went up, but it ended up being a real PITA to assemble and then deal with all the holes punched in the wrong spots that needed to be filled so the building wouldn't leak.

I remember his problems with that building every time I see one of those kits come up for sale on craigslist.

Blybrook

What is a dual conex stick built trus design? I'm thinking two conex side by side with a roof over the top. Is this correct? Would you happen to have a POC and or price list for a conex? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 7wt View Post
    Blybrook

What is a dual conex stick built trus design? I'm thinking two conex side by side with a roof over the top. Is this correct? Would you happen to have a POC and or price list for a conex? Thanks.
    You are close. It is two conex's spaced apart by a set distance (10-30 feet) and a stick built sloped roof truss system over the top. The center area can be closed in for a garage or other storage. The price lists differ by area, there are several places online that sell them as well. Carlile and Sourdough trucking both have some available in the Fairbanks area. I've seen prices range from 1-5k each depending on model and delivery distance.

i've heard of this but think it may not be big enough,, but the idea is wonderful and you have plenty of storage.. You can find conex's for about $2500

I just priced out a set of 6/12 pitch, 40' wide trusses for a customer last week to set over a pair of 40' connexs. Looking at about $5500 for the trusses plus delivery. Figure $4000 apiece for good 40' containers plus delivery. If you are sitting on gravel that might be the way to go. If you want to pour a slab stick framing will be way cheaper. You can frame a 40x40 with 12' high walls for $4000 in materials with T1-11 sheething. Much cheaper if you just want to use painted 1/2" CDX.