Thread: black bear fleshing cost

Default black bear fleshing cost

Do taxidermist charge extra to prepare a hide if you want to have a bear rugged? If so, what would the average price be to have a black bear fleshed, to include turning lips, eyes, nose and ears? Does the price include removal of feet and skull? Just trying to find out what to expect to pay.

Thanks

Default Seems like...

I can remember a fleshing/turning charge (in addition to the rug) of the $80-100 range being fairly common for blackies last time I had one done...

I had shopped around at Sitka Tribal tanning, Tall Tale, and SE taxidermy..maybe with more competition in the Fairbanks/Anch area it could be less...

Default 100 bucks for fleshing AND turning? How long ago was that?

We charge $100 to flesh the hide properly and salt it, drain it, and resalt.

$50 to remove the head and turn/split the ears, lips, eyes, and nose...properly

$50 for the feet, all the way to the claws.

Bring us your bear for a rug or mount and we'll do the euro for FREE to anyone who mentions this forum. Plus you will have it back in 3-4 months!

Default Bear Price

I charge $185.00 a linear foot for black and $205.00 for grizz. I also charge a shop rate to remove skull and paws and for fleshing and salting, which generally averages $175.00.
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

Trout tamer...I'm not THAT old...

That was two years ago. Haven't gotten the idea to tan any bears I've gotten since.

I had skinned out the feet of mine, leaving the pads and claws on, and also had done some scraping of my own. Was living remote at the time and wanted to give it the best chances without having to salt it...as chances were someone back in town would have to freeze it before getting it in...so I suppose by rights maybe it was lower than normal for only having to finish the job...those were the quotes I got...I thought it was the norm to skin out the feet and the head...I take it a lot of folks must not...

Default Always salt thick skinned animals.

It is not so important for the small critters. But bears, moose, deer, etc. need to be fleshed properly and THEN salted. It is very important to get all the fat and grease away from the skin so the salt can penetrate to the hair folicles and lock them in the hide. Plus it controls bacterial growth and dries the hide quickly.

Lastonefishing, how did the hide turn out? Or did you just get quotes? I think that many hunters don't want to deal with the extra hassel of fleshing and turning. Plus they want the best possible trophy they can get so they leave it to the professionals. Believe me, I would love to see every hide that comes in here with the skull out, paws out, properly fleshed, turned, and salted...that would give me more time for my wildlife art!

I've said this before, we would be more than happy to show anyone how to flesh, turn, split, and salt. Bring that greasy hide in and we'll introduce you to the beam. Its a dirty job but someone has to do it.

Default Surely agree with the fleshing...

A few otter and I'm ready to be done with that show...can't imagine doing bears day in and day out...

In the end, it turned out well, no slippage to speak of. We went plain skin with it though, no rug w/felt or trim or anything. Just a straight tan, claws on. Kind of like the versatility of the hides that way, can be hung/draped/ laid flat like a rug, etc...we have since then done our goats (headless and minus the claws of course) that way and prefer it.

message sent, tamer...

Default Otters... Nasty

I fleshed a otter for the first time this past winter and had no idea how much crud, fats and oils and how fishy they smelled.. Took me longer to flesh the otter on a fleshing machine than it does to do a bear. I charge about the same as the erarlier mentioned
    100.00 to flesh, salt, re salt
    25.00 to remove the head, split lips, eyes, and turn the ears
    10.00 ea to remove the feet down to the claws...

so a green bear will cost roughly 165.00, to be tannery ready..I used to do it free.. but it takes way too much time and energy to be doing it for free

Default otter on a fleshing machine

i love that stuff....if i could only flesh otter and 6 foot plus back bear that are fresh when they get to me all year long i'd a be a happy camper.. i'm pretty sure most if not all taxidermists charge seperately for skinning knuckles, feet, head, or even skinning the whole thing...this is because critters come in all stages of care or noncare as it seems to be in some cases..occasionally there are times when you will get charged for having to repair less that perfect skinning

tell ya what i like to do with a five foot + black bear all fresh with the head skinned feet out ears lips and turned.....lay it out skin up...and SPRINKLE i mean SPRINKLE salt on it all over.....roll it up and let it sit outside in the shade or on a floor you can mop for about 3 hours...then throw it over something to drain for 15-20 minutes.....then it takes about 45 minutes to flesh the entire thing on the beam with the big knife....then i salt the snot out of it and lay it out to dry....on a day like today it would only take about 4 hours for the skin to be white and dry....once that is going on....i hang it over a board for the hair to dry.....after all is COMPLETELY dry....i fold it up and stick it in a box for the tannery....

dried like this is the best/cheapest way to store your hide for any amount of time....maybe up to 3 years if you actually want to mount it.....in the freezer it could only last two months depending on what shape it was in when put in the freezer and how its put in the freezer.....might last a year if your lucky.....even if its tanned and you want to mount it you might only have 2 or 3 years....or less if you store it in a warm/hot area......the very best way is to get it tanned and then store it in a freezer.....
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i have paid 45-85 an hour for fleshing...

10-20 per paw for foot removal.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default my blackie

cost me $20 total to finish the claws, touch up any needed fleshing, turn the lips, etc. The taxi was so impressed at the fleshing job I had done on it he was happy to finish the rest and in his words " I gotta charge you something or the wife will b**** at me". Although it cost me small brown bear price for my over 7 1/2 ft blackie. I had seen his work before and was referred to him by a friend. I mentioned to him that my friend sent me to his shop. I'm not sure if that had any bearing on the prices.

Fleshing any of these animals is about forty percent making certain they are setup (firmed) before fleshing, with fur bearers like otter washing and drying out the fur before fleshing, with bears a light salting and OUT of the freezer for a day or so; forty percent well shaped and SHARP knives; twenty percent fleshing method.
    Joe (Ak)

You bring a bear to us to flesh out with salt on it before hand and we will charge you double!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"