Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Gun for Son

Default New Gun for Son

I am looking at buying my son his own rifle currently he has been deer hunting with my Marlin 30-30. He is 14years old approx. 6'2" & 150-160lbs. We live in KY & the gun will mainly be used for deer but trips to Alaska for caribou & black bear are not out of the question along with in state elk if he ever draws a tag.
    Here are my choices
    7mm-08 recoil would be less & easier to shoot accurately
    270 Winchester good all around load
    270 WSM this is the one I would buy for myself but I'm worried about the recoil for my son.
    Give me your thoughts, views & comments.
    Thanks

Default Gun choice

Quote Originally Posted by GoingtoAlaska View Post
    I am looking at buying my son his own rifle currently he has been deer hunting with my Marlin 30-30. He is 14years old approx. 6'2" & 150-160lbs. We live in KY & the gun will mainly be used for deer but trips to Alaska for caribou & black bear are not out of the question along with in state elk if he ever draws a tag.
    Here are my choices
    7mm-08 recoil would be less & easier to shoot accurately
    270 Winchester good all around load
    270 WSM this is the one I would buy for myself but I'm worried about the recoil for my son.
    Give me your thoughts, views & comments.
    Thanks
    Of the three choices I would vote for the 270 Winchester. Been around a long time and will take any game you mentioned. 270 Winchester shells are available most places and the recoil is pretty low also. By the way, what are you feeding him? 14 and 6'2? Hope he plays basketball as well as going hunting, good luck with your decision. Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    ...By the way, what are you feeding him? 14 and 6'2?
    Apparently not very much...6'2" and 150#....

From the list 270 Winchester would be my pick, but I think a far better first gun choice would be a .308, or today maybe a 300WSM. My first rifle was a 30-30 used as a saddle gun then number two was a .308. Given to me on my 13th birthday the .308 is still one of my favorite guns and one of the most useful chambering I know of.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

From the choices I would go with the .270. That's what I was given to me by my grandfather close to that age. Still have the rifle and it holds many fond memories.

Of the choices you mentioned the .270 is very good.

At 6'2" and 160# he's not really that far from full grown and bigger than a lot of full grown. There are better choices for an all arounder- like a .30-06 or a .300. Just get a .22 or .223 to fix any flinch he might develop.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    From the list 270 Winchester would be my pick, but I think a far better first gun choice would be a .308, or today maybe a 300WSM. My first rifle was a 30-30 used as a saddle gun then number two was a .308. Given to me on my 13th birthday the .308 is still one of my favorite guns and one of the most useful chambering I know of.
    Same here. I like the .308 too. My first big game rifle was a .308 at 13 y/o. I was a wee little lad back then too, 4'11 and 99 lbs. I shot my first caribou with it that same year. I've no doubt knocked down more game with it than all my other rifles combined.
    Last edited by Alaska_Lanche; 05-11-2009 at 21:38.

If your son is that size and is comfy with the .30-30, a .308 won't be any problem for him, and is a better all-around gun IMO. Ammo is easy to find, and can shoot a lot of different loads. Of course, you could always wait until he turns 16, and mark that BDay by getting him a .30-06, and then he's SET!

I shot my first deer with dads Marlin 30-30 now I pack that 300 h&h everywhere for everything, some days I wish I had that ole 30-30.

My vote is for the 30-06'. I learned to shoot with a 12ga and 30-06 at the age of 12, all of 5'2" and 115lbs maybe. Never bothered me to shoot those. The 06' is still one of my favorites calibers as is my .338wm.

I did manage to grow a bit... 6'4" and 205lbs these days.

Default short mag recoil

For what it's worth.... every short mag I've been around has had significantly less recoil than it's ballistic counterparts. A good friend of mine has a 7mm WSM that his 12 year old son handles just fine.

In today's current "situation" of your stated choices, I'd have to go with the 270 win. Common round that's going to be one of the easier ones to "find" should things head further down the wrong road.

IF you roll your own, it's less of an issue but still something to consider in my mind. If you don't mind stepping into the 30 cal realm... and are worried about the recoil I'd agree with the 308 Win. Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought the '06 kicked more than it should. Don't get me wrong it's a fine, proven round. IFWIW ... 'm putting one in my daughter's hands if that helps me not get hate mail!!

Short story -- for the choices you gave...... 270 win

Default Thanks

for the information & you're thoughts. I guess I will have to put the 308 into the mix.
    I have a 30-06 & a 300WSM so I've ruled them out I love both loads but he could always use mine if he wanted to. I wanted to get him a caliber I don't have and is a little easier on the recoil . Sounds like I'm down to a 270 Win or 308 Win.

Default Rifle

Without a dougt the 270winchester is the best gun for him. Especially living in KY. Never been a fan of 30 06 and the 308 is ok but the 270 is far better and even better if you handload. I have shot so many rifles over the years but have never found one even coming close to the 270 winchester.

Default Go 308

Here is another vote for the 308 or even the good ole 7mm-08. Both are excellent calibers, with a wide range of bullet weights for each one.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

7mm-08 should be perfect for the boy.

No WSMs for anybody. There are too many stories of feeding problems with too many rifles, and pressure problems with factory ammo. Also, ammo would be harder to find and more expensive.

I doubt if the 270 WSM will last for long.

JMHO

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

My vote goes to the classic .270 Win.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    7mm-08 should be perfect for the boy.
    Agreed. I love the 7mm-08. I like the one that we got for my wife so much that I bought one for our kid and nephews/niece as well. Now I've got two of them that I can steal when I want to go hunting with something lighter and more fun to shoot.

Default recoil?

Recoil is as much a function of the gun as the calibre.

I've got a Rem mdl 7 7-08 that I dearly love and it is a real tack driver, but when loaded with stout 160's it kicks a lot harder than my Rem XCR 300 mag shooting 200 grainers.

Another vote for the 7mm-08. I bought one for my daughter and she loves it and has not problem, although she's not 6'2" and 150 pounds. The .308 would also be an excellent choice but that's not on your list.

I love my 270 WSM and more the ammo line is growing for that round. It is a fantastic cartride for mountain hunting in a short action rifle. I have a Tikka chambered in 270WSM but ultimately plan on handing that to my kids and buying a Kimber so I get the bennefit of the short action but we will still be able to share ammo (long term plan as the oldest is 7).
    With out a similar plan down the road then my vote is for the 308 or 270 win. Cheap ammo so he can afford to shoot it alot and ammo is widely available

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast