Thread: What Brand of Truck Camper?

Default What Brand of Truck Camper?

Not sure where else to put this thread. I am in the market for a side in truck camper and can't decide what brand to get. Looks like Lance is very popular but could use some advise. I have a 3/4 ton shortbed truck so I'm looking at no bigger than a 8'6" camper. Must be self contained, toilet/shower. Grey/black/fresh water tanks, generator and solar power would be nice as well. But then again I'm unsure what all I would really need. How large the tanks for water and waste should be? LP capacity? 6V or 12V batteries? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Will use up here and in the lower 48. Mainly summer months in and out of campgrounds so needs to be self sufficient.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Default Ladies involved?

Short answer: 2001 Lance 850, 8'6" still going strong. Couple of minor electrical (replaced charger, fuses) repairs and replaced refrigerator. I look at new ones, but have no reason to trade really. For my needs, this camper is great. For late season use (October), I don't use the water system. I would buy this camper again if I had to do it all over again.

Longer answer: Be careful if you have wife, daughters or any ladies to consider. The first camper I liked was a used Alaskan Camper - pop up roof and all for $2K. Proudly took my wife to look at it and, well, let's just say-, she wasn't thrilled.

It was the bathroom. Cloth sides that popped up with the roof: no deal. So, from then on, we (I) was shopping not so much for a camper, as a camper-bathroom, that my wife approved of. Lance was the only camper we looked at with solid fiberglass walls; no wood paneling or seams to fail with water/steam exposure. And it's held up very well. 3 and sometimes 4 of us plus Black Lab have camped comfortably in one.

Lance campers seem well-built to me. Bigfoots and maybe S&S campers might have some advantages for cold weather camping. But the spendier Lance campers might offer the same features. I didn't price most of the Lance line because I wanted a camper for short bed truck and that list is fairly short.

Quite a few Lance owners on RV forums. See what other folks on AOD say, but I bet now's a good time to shop for a Lance or any camper.

Whatever you get, I'm a believer in air lift bags. Call me this summer if you want to drive my 3/4 ton with camper with then without air lift bags pumped. Adds dramatically to safe handling IMO.

Good luck and have fun.

Northern Light for a 2500 truck works well. I have a Lance 1121 and can't say enough good things about it, but it is a 1 ton rig. My inlaws have the northern light and it is top notch. The Northern light and bigfoot have the same fiberglass boat type top that is pretty cool in terms of the long haul. Whatever you get make sure that you save back about $1800 or so for airbags and the tie downs. That bit me when I picked up the Lance. The truck outfit cost is kind of hidden. Recommend torque lift tie downs.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Short answer: 2001 Lance 850, 8'6" still going strong. Couple of minor electrical (replaced charger, fuses) repairs and replaced refrigerator. I look at new ones, but have no reason to trade really. For my needs, this camper is great. For late season use (October), I don't use the water system. I would buy this camper again if I had to do it all over again.

Longer answer: Be careful if you have wife, daughters or any ladies to consider. The first camper I liked was a used Alaskan Camper - pop up roof and all for $2K. Proudly took my wife to look at it and, well, let's just say-, she wasn't thrilled.

It was the bathroom. Cloth sides that popped up with the roof: no deal. So, from then on, we (I) was shopping not so much for a camper, as a camper-bathroom, that my wife approved of. Lance was the only camper we looked at with solid fiberglass walls; no wood paneling or seams to fail with water/steam exposure. And it's held up very well. 3 and sometimes 4 of us plus Black Lab have camped comfortably in one.

Lance campers seem well-built to me. Bigfoots and maybe S&S campers might have some advantages for cold weather camping. But the spendier Lance campers might offer the same features. I didn't price most of the Lance line because I wanted a camper for short bed truck and that list is fairly short.

Quite a few Lance owners on RV forums. See what other folks on AOD say, but I bet now's a good time to shop for a Lance or any camper.

Whatever you get, I'm a believer in air lift bags. Call me this summer if you want to drive my 3/4 ton with camper with then without air lift bags pumped. Adds dramatically to safe handling IMO.

Good luck and have fun.
    Yeah you nailed it. My wife is all about the bathroom. I have been looking at the Lance 845 with 30 gal of fresh, 13 gal of grey, 19 gal of black water 2 5 gallon tanks of propane with optional generator. Would like to add the solar panels as well. We will use it when we drive down to the lower 48 so self sufficient is a must. I never had a camper at all so not really sure if the capacities are good or not.

Quote Originally Posted by stratofisher View Post
    Northern Light for a 2500 truck works well. I have a Lance 1121 and can't say enough good things about it, but it is a 1 ton rig. My inlaws have the northern light and it is top notch. The Northern light and bigfoot have the same fiberglass boat type top that is pretty cool in terms of the long haul. Whatever you get make sure that you save back about $1800 or so for airbags and the tie downs. That bit me when I picked up the Lance. The truck outfit cost is kind of hidden. Recommend torque lift tie downs.
    Air bags make that much difference huh? Well the cheapest camper I have fund so far is 15K so I might have buy a much older one and fix it up. Man camping with the family is expensive.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

I know they don't even begin to compare with the BIG Boys but I picked up a Fleetwood Angler slide in for shortbed truck from 1-800 Cruise America in Anchorage a few years ago. They rotate their stock every couple of years or so. The one I got came off a truck with about 8,000 miles on it and it hardly looked used. I paid $6,500 back then for it. I would like to have a Lance or S&S but couldn't afford themso this was a good alternative.

Charlie

Default air bags

Are a MUST have.

Make sure you run individual fill lines though... a buddy T'd them together so he could fill both bags at the same time. (HE didn't listen to me) His first trip out... he stopped in wal-mart parking lot and promptly pulled the T and made them individual fills.

Having them separate greatly increases stability & that's a good thing

I have a Fleetwood Angler and it is light, comfortable and reasonably priced. Even though it is lighter than most, I still have airbags.

Cache Camper in the valley makes a nice truck camper. Larry will custom build it the way you want it.

Default Sounds like you did just fine...

Quote Originally Posted by rocketdoc View Post
    I know they don't even begin to compare with the BIG Boys but I picked up a Fleetwood Angler slide in for shortbed truck from 1-800 Cruise America in Anchorage a few years ago. They rotate their stock every couple of years or so. The one I got came off a truck with about 8,000 miles on it and it hardly looked used. I paid $6,500 back then for it. I would like to have a Lance or S&S but couldn't afford themso this was a good alternative.

Charlie
    Main thing is just get out there. And $6,500's gotta be less painful than $15-20K! They all look good with "Paid in Full" on them, eh?

Doug,
    Here's other info that might help (links below).
    There's also a few campers (Lance too) on craigslist: "1997 Lance Squire 8000 truck camper in excellent condition. Interior is immaculate. One owner. $6250 obo" (http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/1185385225.html.

http://www.lancecamperrvsource.com/
    http://www.woodalls.com/CFORUM/index...d/18250947.cfm
    http://www.truckcamperforum.com/
    http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...s/forum/27.cfm
    http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/i...=203&Itemid=66
    http://truckcamperforums.com/index.p...&#entry2929834

Happy hunting.

Cache Campers is still in the market - and will custom-build either a canopy or camper to fit your specs, whether it's a certain total weight or specific features (like bathroom or shower). They can build to 4-season specs too. Lance still building high quality truck campers, but local supply very limited now. Be interested in any comments regarding Cache or other brands. Thx.

A 3/4 ton is a light truck. I'd suggest a set of Firestone airbags installed to help with the load. I have had them on every truck that I have had and they really do help out a lot. Even on my F-350 with the camper, towing and plowing packages I still installed them.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012