Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next (#4) Fairbanks powder order

Default Next (#4) Fairbanks powder order

This thread is opened for people with powder needs, so they can post here the powder brand and amount they need. The intention is to have "inventory of needs", so the next powder orders (whoever will be leading them) will be easier and more predictable to arrange. Besides, the last order No.3 was comprised of #111 of powder and closed within 3-4 days (Friday - Monday) max. Мany people was left behind because it was so fast.

Now, I can not lead any orders in May and June since I am leaving. What I wrote below is generalization of my experience leading 1.5 FBKS orders, so it can help the next order groups (perhaps).

The basics of ordering powder to AK is a bit complicated since on-line vendors will not ship directly. We need to work with cargo forwarders. Many of them work only with businesses (SPAN Alaska, for instance). One I know (perhaps more are around) works with individuals. It is Lynden Transport (LT) (http://www.lynden.com/ltia/ ). They charge flat rate of $210 for truck delivery of up to #100 of total weight of HazMat stuff to FBKS and it takes a week. From experience, this total weight of #100 corresponds to #70-75 of net powder weight. Barge delivery with LT is cheaper ($150+), but currently LT have a huge backlog of HazMat cargo waiting in their dock in Five, WA and this option is temporally closed.

There are many on-line powder vendors around. One of them, Third Generation (TG) (http://www.thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com/), waives HazMat fee of $20 if the order exceeds #30 of powder and ships for $4.95 in the Lower 48. Their prices are pretty comparable with other vendors and their selection is perhaps the best at the moment (although it can change fast). So S/H addition to the powder cost for TG+LT combo + $10 of extra order expenses ($210+$5+$10 = $225) could be

for #30 +$7.50 per pound
    for #40 +$5.63 per pound
    for #50 +$4.50 per pound
    for #60 +$3.75 per pound
    for #70 +$3.21 per pound
    for #75 +$3.00 per pound <- the best case scenario.

So, the larger (up to a point of 75 lbs) the order, the cheaper S/H charge. For reference, last time I saw powder at SW in AK (March, I guess), it was $27-28 for a pound of rifle powder, and $23-24 for pistol/revolver/shotgun powders. Effectively, ordering powder in large (> #50) orders is cheaper than wait for powder re-appearance in SW.

TG (and other vendors) can mix powder and primers in their shipment, but forwarders will not allow it. It is not very relevant info, since TG has no primers whatsoever for couple of months at least. Their limit for primers order is 2000 per order, which effectively defeats the purpose of group buy.

Note that TG introduced recently a limit for #8 keg of HDG Varget of two per order, which is new. I am not aware about other limitations, but these can be introduced at any moment.

So, the scheme of group orders for a person who decided to take a lead on one is such

0. It is a good idea (actually, very good idea) to call LT upfront of any order activity to check the current on HazMat forwarding to AK.

1. Form the List of Needs with ~amount of needed powder, including amount of available powder (it can be very different from amount of requested powder) ==> estimate approximate S/H cost with adding ~$10 for extra order cost (your cell calls, gas, etc.) or whatever amount you feel is appropriate

2. Collection of money (cash; money orders by local mail; if you have PayPal, it is the fastest, but it charges 3.5% for transfers, so the transferred amount needs to be adjusted by *1.035)

It is your call whether you proceed to #3 upon only complete collection or allow for some late $$$ delivery. Personally, I had no problems with some late collection, which I allowed because of the lack of time. TG site shows amount of available powder in each brand/weight, so it can affect your decision on that. Besides, do not forget that the powder can be offered for grabs at the cost at this forum and will be purchased at no time.

3. Order powder from TG indicating LT dock as the shipping destination and explanation in ORDER NOTE with request to mark boxes with your final destination and also include it into UPS papers. TG is very good working with e-mails, you will have response form them in no time.

4. Order can be tracked on its way to LT using TG and UPS sites

5. Contact TG when your order is about to arrive to their dock in Five, WA and inform them that you expect HazMat packages to be delivered to TG for forwarding to you (REMEMBER #0.)

6. Distribution of powder among participants with final adjustment of S/H costs

Pretty much that's it.

I use EXCELL s/s in a form that was published in the thread about third order. I can e-mail this file to anyone who is interested as a template (it is Mac, it should be compatible with Windows and generally it is, but not always)

Good luck,
    Sergeima

Default Transferred from Third Order... thread

From SavageStag

I would love to get 8 lbs of Varget, and would definitely be in for the next group order. I've got the money saved up for reloading stuff, and don't want to buy it yet because I can't even get the powder anywhere. I even have the bullets already.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

depending on time frame of order. i MAY be able to assist with the freight forwarded as Ronster did..

i also now have a Span account for shipping hazmat with our business. but will need some time for changing my haz, classification, (?) i will find out more.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Can I add my name to the list for an 8#er of Varget (if it's available) as well?

I would like.

4 lbs of Alliant 2400
    8 lbs of H4350
    2 lbs Varget

Third Gen at least seems to be out of the last two at the moment.

2x 1# Varget for me

(im poor as heck)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hey mods how about a sticky here for a while?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Powder order #4

If and when we do this, I would like:

2lb RL 15
    1lb RL-19
    2lb RL-22
    2lb N135
    2lb N560
    2lb N350
    1lb N160
    3lb IMR 4831

Thanks-
    sbsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    hey mods how about a sticky here for a while?
    You got it.
    Last edited by Snyd; 05-26-2009 at 23:13.

Default Powder order

Has anybody heard of who may be leading the next order of powder? How about if and when?

Default powder order #4

The trouble is that now vitually all the usual sources for powder are out of stock on most items. Natchez, Third Generation, Grafs etc.. Even if we put together an order, there is no place to put it. My suggestion is to wait, do all the preliminary homework (prices, amounts etc) and when powder becomes available again, jump on it. I really don't see that we have an alternative. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    just my .02
    sbsmith

Default Powder order

If this powder order gets off the ground I could use the following:

1# Hodgen BL-C(2)
    1# H4895
    1#H322
    1# Hodgen Benchmark
    1# Varget
    1# Reloader 10x
    2# IMR 7828ssc

I haven't reached "critical mass" on any of the above yet, but it would be nice to get some this summer. Hopefully, things will break loose a little and it will happen.

Thanks,

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Riflemaker View Post
    Hopefully, things will break loose a little and it will happen.

Thanks,

Larry
    Unreal isnít it, I never would have guessed it would last this long!!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Unreal isnít it, I never would have guessed it would last this long!!

LOL no kidding it sure is hard... to NOT buy when you see it now. i make myself take only ONE... and leave some for the next guy...

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    LOL no kidding it sure is hard... to NOT buy when you see it now. i make myself take only ONE... and leave some for the next guy...

I've tried to start doing this as well. It's hard to pass up when you see there's only a couple boxes left, but it's harder when you go somewhere and there's none left at all.

Default Powder

You guys might look into Graf & sons of Mexico MO. They do the free shipping thing too and might have some of the stuff you are looking for.
    www.grafs.com Good people to work with. Fullcurl09

add me to the list of "needs"

8# H414
    4# 800x

Id be in for a couple pounds of varget if there is room left when someone puts this order together.

Default Powder

I could use some H4895, TAC and RE-19. I've been thinking about making a trip to Washington, not sure about coming through Canada with that though.

just did a fast check///

third Gen has MOST Alliant powders, bar RL 22 & 25///

Hodg and IMR.. are low or not aval..

i am keeping half an eye... need Rl 22. soon...

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast