Thread: Boat ramp at West Point Cabin / Petersb.

Default Boat ramp at West Point Cabin / Petersb.

Hi,
    I will be at West Point Cabin (Petersburg area) in July. We will come with a boat (rented). Is there a boat ramp? Is it better to arrive during high/low tide?
    Any help is great for me (did a lot of cabins stays, but always did hike or fly-in/out.

Thank you,
    Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Hans-Linus View Post
    Hi,
    I will be at West Point Cabin (Petersburg area) in July. We will come with a boat (rented). Is there a boat ramp? Is it better to arrive during high/low tide?
    Any help is great for me (did a lot of cabins stays, but always did hike or fly-in/out.

Thank you,
    Hans
    I would say you should study up on the charts, ask the boat rental people and the forest service people, maybe try to get a few pages of a nautical guide, and figure it out before you go, as there may be some local knowledge involved. There usually is. I'm guessing that it does matter what tide you arrive at, probably has to be a certain minimum height, but its hard to tell what the restrictions are without knowing exactly where the mooring buoy is. As you can see from the on-line nautical charts, there are various things to think about in terms of depth, tidal flow, possibly rocks and kelp etc.

The websites say there is a boatramp, however, I'm not sure what it is used for. It does say this in terms of general caution:

"Poor weather can occasionally delay boat or floatplane travel, and cabin users should be prepared for this. Strong currents and occasional high winds require boats to be anchored well in this location. A mooring buoy is provided at the cabin for this purpose."

Here is the situation with respect to the nautical charts:

http://mapserver.mytopo.com/homepage...latlontype=DMS

And here are the websites that rent the cabins, they have phone numbers for the forest service in petersburg:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/cab...burg/westpoint

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/We...ex=CampingSpot.

There are various published nautical guides for that area, but nothing on-line that I know of. Good luck.

Thank you,

I did a lot of preparation and read all the information (also the usfs site, they rent the cabins). I rented many cabins in Alaska, but never came by boat.
    Of course, the boat company will give me all the instructions and information, when we are in town. I think itís a good company taking care of their clients.
    On the other hand I try to find information on my own, so I am as good prepared as possible. I will bring my family, a reason more to be careful.

well Hans:

I haven't been there; but I did take a look at a nautical guide I have (called "exploring southeast alaska"; its sold on fineedge.com); and it did cover Portage Bay. That guide did advise entering the Bay on high slack tide, staying in water of about 3 fathoms; the entrance there of such water is about 150 meters wide. The book talked about anchoring up to the south of the cabin (where you see the anchor in the nautical chart), and some other places generally south and east of the bay, but didn't mention the mooring buoy which presumably is somewhere near the west point cabin, it's not shown on the chart or in the book, so I can't say where it is or how close (or how far) it may be from the cabin. Lastly, the book mentioned that wind sometimes howls through the mouth of the bay - - - and said in those situations it may be better to anchor a bit farther south. I'm sure there is a way to do this correctly and be close to the cabin, I am guessing this is using the mooring buoy. You just have to know it all before you go and, hopefully, have fair weather and visibility.
    Last edited by stevesch; 05-14-2009 at 11:17. Reason: correct fathoms, from memory, don't quote me